Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
I'm a twenty year old male student from Perth in Western Australia. I've struggled with social anxiety since I was around 10 but things only really started to be problematic when I was 14/15. I have recently begun therapy after a pretty bad bout of depression which really made me realise how much I have let this control me and my life.

Basically my main fear revolves around people perceiving me as a 'loser' and basically looking down on me and this has led to a lot of really ridiculous anxieties. Firstly, I have huge difficulties making phone calls and I really struggle organising activities to do with people, even friends, because of the fear that they will somehow see me as pathetic or needy because I want to do something with them or that they secretly don't like me and don't want to talk to me. In addition to this I have a lot of the usual kind of fears, can't give speeches, can't talk in groups larger than 3 or 4, struggle immensely in party situations etc. These have basically caused me to be unable to make friends and I have found that the 3 real friends I have are slipping away because they have large circles of friends of which I am not a part of or have drifted apart from.

In terms of personal interests, I love music, particularly jazz and blues, I play guitar (though I can't perform due to anxiety), love basketball (I play every week), love aussie rules footy, cricket. I also like several nerdy things like anime and video games.

From a lot of what I have read I realise that my anxieties probably rank toward the milder end simply because I havn't experienced anything as major as a full blown panic attack so I have an enormous amount of sympathy for those of you who have it worse than me. Anyway I hope to get to know you all better and contribute a bit to the forum.
Cheers,
mixolydian

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Mixolydian! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey mixolydian :wel

·
Banned