Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Daydreaming~
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My name is Jen (you can call me Kisara, Kisa, Kiki (these are my online names/nicknames), and if you really want, Jen.), I'm Asian American, and a sophomore in college. I've been lurking around for a few days and looking through some forum posts. I feel like I can relate to a lot of people here, and that's why I joined. Perhaps I can learn a few things and improve my life from this. :)

Some background:
Since I was young, I was always a quiet and timid person. In elementary school, I was at the bottom of my class and there was a group of guys who would usually tease and make fun of me. A few people transferred out of the school because of these guys. I guess, since then, I've always had a fear of being judged and looked down upon. I have trouble socializing and making friends, but, thankfully, I do have two very close friends whom I trust completely. I am thankful that they accept me for who I am. But, it's not enough. We don't go to the same school, so I'm stuck with trying to socialize with others. My shyness is so bad that I cannot even approach the teacher without wanting to burst out crying after saying one or two lines to them. Even when I'm talking in a small group, I would feel embarrassed to a point where I want to cry after just saying one sentence. I had to take a speech class in freshmen year of college and I ended up bursting into tears, in front of the class, during the speech. How embarrassing! I'm especially afraid to talk to males. I like males, but I'm afraid of them... probably because of the teasing that occurred during elementary and middle school (by males). I understand that they were young and immature back then, but I can't help but still feel so insecure around them. I have a few guy friends, but they are not close and I do feel awkward around them, sometimes. It's so bad to the point where I rejected a guy that I really liked back in high school too. Looking back, I think it would've been nice to at least try to be his friend. But, no, my own fears took over and made me push him away. I have a serious case of being afraid of people to a point where I'm just really shy and insecure around them, especially males (and I want male friends too!). I'm really frustrated with my own personality and I want to change. I think being social would help me greatly in life. If it's fun with two close friends, I'm sure having more friends would just enhance those fun experiences.

Anyways... nice to meet you guys! I'll try to post if I can... that is, if I don't decide to opt out because, apparently, I'm timid online too.

:blush
Take care, everyone!

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Welcome to SAS, Jen! :wel

·
Banned
206 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Whilst your issue sounds like a psychological issue, I'd call it severe shyness .... rather than anxiety. Anxiety comes with all sort of symptoms, which you have not described.

I guess it's a form of severe shyness.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Jen, welcome to :sas

·
Add me/PM me, let's talk!
1,072 Posts
Hello and welcome to SAS! Glad that you have joined this forum as there are many others out there that are also going through the similar issues of anxiety especially in social situations and you are definitely not alone. I noticed that you are also from Cali! Go cali people :D If you would like a friend and someone to talk to, you can send me a PM and a friend request on here. :)

·
Daydreaming~
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Neptunus: Thank you!

@Lmatic3030: Thank you, and I hope you can get out of your shell as well :)

@anx1ety: Thank you!

@precious007: Thank you! Really? :b Well, I do have trouble with people in general and, sometimes, I would rather be alone than be with friends or acquaintances. It's more of a social phobia and that leads to anxiety, I guess. But, definitely, I do have a severe case of shyness.

@Toad Licker: Thank you!

@Ventura: Thank you!

@brokenandlonely: Thank you for the welcome! Yes, go Cali peeps! Thank you for the offer as well. ^_^

@spirit79: You're still young, and you know that it's bothering you. I don't think I would've thought about it at 14 XD. I give you props for knowing that about yourself at a young age :). The younger you start to notice, the better.

Thank you for the warm greetings, everyone! You guys are majorly awesome :yes!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Werrrrlcome to SASSSSSS. Your post resonated a lot with me; I don't usually post in welcome threads because I don't look here very often. But hey, welcome. I hope this place can be a very helpful outlet for you, as it is for many of us. :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Kisara! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts