Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sigh.
9,313 Posts
TV: Breaking Bad and Welcome to the NHK.

Movies: Beyond the Black Rainbow.

That's definitely not all, but kept it short and sweet.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Breaking Bad is the only TV show worth watching. **** Orange is the New Black.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Breaking Bad is the only TV show worth watching. **** Orange is the New Black.
I don't really like Orange is the New Black either. Like why would you want to watch something about a normal white girl going to prison for something she didn't do? The entire point of watching a movie, for me, is to escape from the dullness & unfairness of reality.

Breaking Bad looks interesting, but again it's based on the reality of a struggling high school teacher with terminal cancer. It's not something I want to watch. I can flip on the news or drive down 71st Street if I want to see these kinds of things.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I don't really like Orange is the New Black either. Like why would you want to watch something about a normal white girl going to prison for something she didn't do? The entire point of watching a movie, for me, is to escape from the dullness & unfairness of reality.

Breaking Bad looks interesting, but again it's based on the reality of a struggling high school teacher with terminal cancer. It's not something I want to watch. I can flip on the news or drive down 71st Street if I want to see these kinds of things.
Dude, Breaking Bad will change your life.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am interested in seeing Bryan Cranston's performance in Godzilla, but I don't think I'll be going to the theatre for it. I'll wait until Netflix streams it.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I am interested in seeing Bryan Cranston's performance in Godzilla, but I don't think I'll be going to the theatre for it. I'll wait until Netflix streams it.
Forget Godzilla. Cranston's role is marginal and oddly excessive in that lackluster film. Breaking Bad is THE TV show to watch. I've seen it twice and still discover things.

·
SAS Member
1,197 Posts
I didn't realize the news and the streets had quality writing, stellar acting, and an amazing story.
Also, other TV shows I'd recommend on netflix: Heroes (at least just season 1), Lost, the walking dead, the office, how I met your mother, Orange is the New Black, Futurama
Only one movie that I can think at the moment is Amores Perros

·
Banned
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't now.. I guess I'm just looking for something "different". A lot of shows & movies seem to be blending together.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I don't now.. I guess I'm just looking for something "different". A lot of shows & movies seem to be blending together.
Well Breaking Bad is as groundbreaking as you'll get. That is, unless you're looking for fantasy stuff with wizards and swords or aliens, but even those things are rather pedestrian at this point (Although you won't see them crossing 71st, as you mentioned.)

I go for powerful writing, skilled acting and technique. Cinematography; etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have to agree on breaking bad. The writing and acting is some of the best I've ever seen.

Archer is another favorite at the moment. Arrested development is great also, full of hidden jokes and so many call backs as a reward for dedicated watching. The thick of it is amazing, although very niche, and maybe just an English thing.

·
Rude Asparagus
3,561 Posts
Sherlock
House of Cards (both)
Trailer Park Boys
Black Adder
Peep Show
The It Crowd
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Arrested Development
The X-Files
Battlestar Galactica
The Tudors
Twin Peaks
Doctor Who
etc.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Disregard if you don't like documentary type stuff, but lately I've watched and enjoyed...

- Tiny: A story about living small
- Email Order Bride
- JFK: The Smoking Gun
- Hiroshima: BBC story of WWII
- Surviving Progress
- TWA Flight 800 (this one was a shocker)
- 9/11: Stories in Fragments
- Enron: The smartest guys in the room

And there's a really good series documenting the space race all the way from the beginning, called When We Left Earth. It sounds boring, and if you don't like space stuff then it totally would be.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Why do people call them "Netflix movies" and "Netflix shows"? Outside of the ones produced by Netflix, they're just things that are presented on the site. The "real" Netflix, in my opinion, is the DVD-by-mail service, which gives you something you can't get anywhere else for that price -- great DVDs, with the special features, that you'd otherwise have to pay for.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Why do people call them "Netflix movies" and "Netflix shows"? Outside of the ones produced by Netflix, they're just things that are presented on the site. The "real" Netflix, in my opinion, is the DVD-by-mail service, which gives you something you can't get anywhere else for that price -- great DVDs, with the special features, that you'd otherwise have to pay for.
In my case it's just an expression. The way it's set-up it can sometimes be tricky to find something enjoyable that suits me, so when talking to others it's easier.

Where I am I can't get DVD by mail, but I can stream films and shows instantly. I agree with you on the special features, it is something I really enjoy and it is a shame Netflix don't have it.

But for the price it's excellent. If I wanted I could watch a film every day for a month, which would otherwise be a ridiculous amount of money if I had to buy a DVD every time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts