Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
While I'm certainly not a picture of health, due in part, to my own apathy, I firmly believe that we truly are what we eat and that nutritional changes can have a positive effect in both our physical and mental health. Thank you for sharing this article with us. :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
gluten does not affect me that much but after I stopped eating dairy, red meat, sugar and drinking soda drinks I can say that my SA is at a manageable level right now:)

Thanks for sharing this link.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
That was a great article. Thanks! I wish they had stores like that in my area. I remember all the health food stores in California but I never took advantage of them because I didn't really understand how important it was. Severe migraines have a way of waking you up though, lol. I guess pain is the body's way of fighting back.

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the positive remarks. I get really frustrated with people when they don't even consider what milk (for example) does to your nutritional absorption. It coats the inside of our intestines, blocking nutrients from getting thru, and turns everything into a big blob of useless goo. Another good idea that works is a simple digestive enzyme. It will increase your digestion and absorption of nutrients.

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much milk are we talking about here? Is it alright just to have a little with some cereal or oatmeal?
You know I've heard the whole gamut from "absolutely none" to "some now and then". I think it all depends on you and where you are at nutritionally, how you feel. It you gotta have milk, it may be the tryptophan you crave. You can get that from eating raw almonds. Also, I love the taste of almond milk and drink that occasionally.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The best way to deal with a troll is ignoring.

It makes them happy when you get angry and obviously moderators prefer to close to threads instead of dealing with the troll. So do what the moderators do: Ignore the troll.

·
sad panda
675 Posts
I'm glad to know this has helped you so much! Going gluten and lactose free is something I've been thinking about for a long time. My neighbors/friends have Celiac's (not sure I spelt that right), and I saw how much it affected them until they were diagnosed. I've always had digestive problems, and, of course, mood problems, so it might be the key. Thanks for the info!

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
warcraft, stop trolling these boards. You have repeated the same thing as last night. I don't know whether to ban you or give you an infraction. You are upsetting the rest of the members. Be warned!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I guess it's okay to ignore over 60 years of research on nutrition science in favor of oprah's magical cures and pseudo science/sponsored studies.
Those 60 years of research studies were not sponsored? I think japanese people live longer than americans not as a result of that 60 years of research and medications but their diet and living styles.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Those 60 years of research studies were not sponsored? I think japanese people live longer than americans not as a result of that 60 years of research and medications but their diet and living styles.
By Japanese people, I assume you're referring to the people of Okinawa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa#Other_cultural_characteristics

It's not the nutrition (indirectly maybe), it's
"Low-stress lifestyle: The easygoing lifestyle more resembles that of a laid-back South Sea island than the high-stress Japanese mainland."

You never hear about anyone over 100 in Tokyo because people in Tokyo work 12 hour shifts.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
By Japanese people, I assume you're referring to the people of Okinawa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa#Other_cultural_characteristics

It's not the nutrition (indirectly maybe), it's
"Low-stress lifestyle: The easygoing lifestyle more resembles that of a laid-back South Sea island than the high-stress Japanese mainland."

You never hear about anyone over 100 in Tokyo because people in Tokyo work 12 hour shifts.
Ok I agree with you now, diet has nothing to do with health or performance like 12 hour shifts (maybe indirectly).

·
Banned
64 Posts
Ok I agree with you now, diet has nothing to do with health or performance like 12 hour shifts (maybe indirectly).
Or maybe they take naps at work or they drink coffee/green tea. Most Japanese live near their offices compared to their western counterparts, have you been in rush hour traffic?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I already mentioned their life style has an effect and as I wrote earlier that you convinced me that diet has only an indirect(maybe) has effect on health lol

Attachments

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
Thanks for the positive remarks. I get really frustrated with people when they don't even consider what milk (for example) does to your nutritional absorption. It coats the inside of our intestines, blocking nutrients from getting thru, and turns everything into a big blob of useless goo. Another good idea that works is a simple digestive enzyme. It will increase your digestion and absorption of nutrients.
Yeah, I never really thought about it before, but the protein in milk does coagulate in acidic conditions - that's why it starts clumping after a while - the bacteria in it are eating the sugar and dumping out lactic acid, so the milk curdles. Maybe it does the same thing when it hits the stomach acid. If you've ever poured out a really old carton of milk, it's pretty gross - I can imagine that stuff really clogging up your digestion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts