Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. What you're about to read might sound unbelievable, but it's true. This is my first post, and actually the first time I've been part of any online forum. If I don't use the correct computerese, please forgive me. I am on here to try to offer people some tried-and-true relief from their suffering, but I may need some help along the way.

Maybe I should say a little about myself as a means of explanation. I had severe and undiagnosed generalized anxiety disorder (mainly agoraphobia) for almost 15 years. In addition to anxiety disorder, I have been through really bad alcoholism and have thus far lived to tell the tale.

From 2004-2009, I taught meditation as a volunteer in the Texas correctional system, and since 2009 have been teaching publicly as well as in drug & alcohol recovery centers. I am also a certified Kundalini Yoga instructor, which is how I came to know of a truly wonderful yoga meditation which will help people immensely in dealing with anxiety, primarily as a long-term practice (the instructions for this meditation say it can be used effectively as an occasional stress reliever, but for this forum it seems that most people could benefit the most through making it a regular - and quite peaceful - part of their everyday routine). I can speak from personal experience that this meditation (called the "Tranquil Mind Meditation") does perfectly what it promises to do. Obviously, each practitioner will be the judge.

Here's where I need help. I have the instructions for the meditation in emailable form, and am happy to send it to anyone who requests it. But what should I do? I'm not asking this as a joke; I truly don't know the protocol for these forums (one of the many blessings of teaching meditation professionally is that it requires virtually zero computer literacy, a level at which I come astonishingly close for someone living in the 21st century).

But I do want to offer this and am positive this meditation will be of tremendous benefit to EVERYONE who practices it. So. Would it be best to:

a.) Simply post the instructions in the same way I'm writing this first post? (the typed instructions are about 1½ pages on a regular-sized sheet of paper).

b.) Give out my email address and invite people to contact me for the instructions?

c.) Post the instructions as an attachment?

d.) Do something else, which I may not even know exists in this vast and scary computer world?

In previewing this post, I just saw that what appears to be live chatting (as well as Private Messaging) is turned on, so if you'd like to get the posting instructions to me in this way, go for it. I seek help in helping people who seek help from people who seek to help people who seek help, and that is all. There you have it. I will put up the instructions and be happy to answer any/all questions once somebody tells me how best to proceed. I wish you all peace, perfect peace.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tranquil Mind Meditation Instructions

HERE ARE THE CUT-AND-PASTED INSTRUCTIONS. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS WHATSOEVER.

This meditation is taken from the 'Generalized Anxiety Disorder' chapter of the book "Sacred Therapies: The Kundalini Yoga Meditation Handbook for Mental Health" by David Shannahoff Khalsa. It works wonders, and I hope you enjoy.

=======================================================

Instructions for the Tranquil Mind Meditation (VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT EXCEED MAXIMUM TIME LIMIT OF 31 MINUTES DAILY):

Sit straight (lengthen the body all along the spine) either in a chair or a comfortable cross-legged position and rest the back of one hand in the palm of the other, with the thumbs crossing each other in the palm closest to the body. If the right hand rests in the palm of the left hand, the left thumb rests in the right palm and the right thumb then crosses over the back of the left thumb.

Either hand orientation is acceptable; if the left hand rests in the palm of the right hand, the right thumb rests in the left palm and the left thumb then crosses over the back of the right thumb.

The hands are placed at the level of the Heart Center, about 2 inches in front of the chest (the hands do not touch the chest), and the elbows are relaxing down along the sides of the body against the ribs.

The eyes are open but focused on the tip of the nose (which you cannot actually see). Maintain this body position and eye gaze throughout the meditation.

The breathing pattern has four parts that repeat in sequence (Note - all inhalations and exhalations should be slow, full, deep and comfortable. Your lung capacity will naturally increase with practice). The breathing sequence is as follows:

1.) INHALE AND EXHALE THROUGH THE NOSE SLOWLY.

2.) INHALE THROUGH THE MOUTH SLOWLY WITH THE LIPS PUCKERED AS IF TO GIVE A KISS OR MAKE A WHISTLE (BREATHE ALMOST AS IF YOU ARE "SIPPING" THE BREATH, AS IF YOU WERE DRINKING HONEY OR A THICK MILKSHAKE THROUGH A STRAW). AFTER THE INHALATION, RELAX THE LIPS AND EXHALE THROUGH THE MOUTH SLOWLY, LETTING THE BREATH OUT WITH A GENTLE SIGH.

3.) INHALE THROUGH THE NOSE AND EXHALE THROUGH THE RELAXED MOUTH SLOWLY.

4.) INHALE THROUGH "SIPPING" LIPS AND EXHALE THROUGH THE NOSE SLOWLY.

Repeat steps 1 through 4.

TO SUMMARIZE THE BREATHING, HERE IS THE INHALE/EXHALE PATTERN (IT'S COMMON FOR BEGINNERS TO GET LOST IN THE SEQUENCE, BUT IT WILL BECOME EASY TO KEEP THE REGULAR SEQUENCE GOING WITHOUT MUCH THOUGHT AFTER A LITTLE PRACTICE. IF NECESSARY, FEEL FREE TO MAKE USE OF THE "CHEAT SHEET" BELOW, SHOWING THE BREATHING PATTERNS).

1.) INHALE nose, EXHALE nose
2.) INHALE "sipping" lips, EXHALE relaxed lips
3.) INHALE nose, EXHALE relaxed lips
4.) INHALE sipping lips, EXHALE nose

Practice anywhere between 11 and 31 minutes. THE MAXIMUM TIME ALLOWED FOR THIS TECHNIQUE IS 31 MINUTES. I only emphasize this because if you exceed 31 minutes your mind will become so still you won't be able to form a sentence for awhile. Trust me, I went 33 minutes once and all I could do was sit and stare. It was very pleasant but I became completely unproductive.

As you improve you may want to simply maintain the breathing pattern for the full 31 minutes, then rest briefly afterwards. The benefits for most people are felt fairly quickly.

This technique can treat any anxiety-related disorder by helping the person induce a very quiet, still, peaceful, clear and stable mind. This excellent technique can also be used for anxiety prevention or simply to reduce daily mental and emotional stress and strain.

Practicing this breathing technique on a regular basis will help a person learn what it means to have a quiet mind with very little chatter. The more a person engages this state, the more he or she will realize that this peaceful and clear state only increases and deepens with practice.

NOTE: THERE IS A GREAT IPHONE/IPAD APP FOR TIMING MEDITATION PERIODS, CALLED "INSIGHT TIMER". IT'S EITHER FREE OR VERY INEXPENSIVE, IS REALLY EASY TO USE AND WILL ALLOW YOU TO NOT HAVE TO KEEP TRACK OF YOUR MEDITATION TIME.

"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened, but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."
- Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Meditation

I am really glad that you found something so life changing. The form of meditation / relaxation that you use is unnervingly familiar to me. It is all about breathing, I have been told this so many times. You may ask if I gave it my best and the answer is yes I did. Unfortunately my best is simply not good enough.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But the beauty of this meditation is that it cannot fail you. It's not that I myself have found something that works, but that this meditation works for ALL those who practice it.

I have given this specific meditation to at least several thousand clients, and even that number is conservative. (You can imagine how prevalent anxiety issues are for people going through what for many will be the single greatest struggle in their life, and if you can't imagine, I can tell you that it's an awful lot.) I've never once met someone who took up this simple practice who did not achieve remarkable results by the time they left the recovery center.

Keep hope! Give it a try! You have so much to lose (insecurity, anxiety, irrational fears) and the beautiful world to gain. With this meditation, if you can follow the instructions, you will automatically do good enough. Please let me know of your experiences should you decide to try this. Just begin and continue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts