Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would this be for a career choice? I'm thinking of going back to school for a web design certificate or some other similar graphic design curriculum.

From what I can tell, it seems like most of your time would be spent staring at a computer instead of dealing with people, which I certainly like.

Any idea on how hard it is to get a job in this field?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I'm actually pursuing a BFA in Graphic Design-I have about 2-3 years before I earn it

As for getting a job as a graphic designer, I don't necessarily think that it'd be difficult to get a job in graphic design cuz it's everywhere from the web, to logos, to package design for foods or products, to magazine layout, newspapers

But as for getting the type of job you want, the type of projects you want to be doing that might be harder, I don't know for sure though cuz I haven't done the rigorous stuff yet, but for example, doing layout/graphic design for Forbes Magazine will be different than doing the package/logo design/etc for a makeup company, and so on and so forth

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I have an associates degree in a related field, and my focus is designing web pages and working with graphics for the advertising field. Alas, I live in a small town and I currently work at a college part time. But web/graphic design can go many ways, like with magazines and simply just advertising.

·
Registered
290 Posts
yes I have a background and degree in graphic design, and you can work it so you mostly work with the computer. There is still some people interaction, depending on the type of job. It is a very competitive field. There are usually many applicants for any job.

I have done only design for print. I just started a web design class so I can learn that, which should give me more opportunity.

I have been "flayling" (failing) for some time now, pretty much due to SA and related issues (sleep problem).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been a web developer (currently unemployed) for quite some time and I have to say it is very competitive whether you go out on your own or you are applying for a job. Skills in this field seem to get outdated very fast. If your the type that likes to learn on a consistent basis, then this is probably enjoy this field. To make money takes a lot of initiative in this field as well. If you really like this field, then you can do really well in it. But if you only like it a little bit, then times are going to be very difficult. Its not like a lot of other jobs where you can hate it and still make money. The ability to communicate is crucial. Some people with SA can talk on the phone, while others cannot. If you can develop a good number of clients (big and small businesses are best) and keep a good level of communication with them then I think you may enjoy this area.

·
SAS Nonmember
148 Posts
I am a web designer/developer... there are really a variety of directions you can go with this. I actually work for a design firm, and when I was first hired they asked me what I did and didn't want to do, and one of the "don't want"s was talking to clients... thus I don't often talk to clients. If you work in the web/design division of a large company, the other company divisions will be your clients. If you want to go freelance, you'll be finding the clients yourself. Personally I would never, ever want to work freelance. I really don't know how hard it is to find a job as a dedicated employee... I seem to have lucked in to mine.

If you are interested in the visual/graphic end of it, I suggest going to a graphic design program at a good 4-year school. We've interviewed people that have gone through the 2 year certificate programs and none of them were really comparable - it seems like they focus more on how to use the programs than teaching the basics of design, which is what you want to learn. If you're going for the coding end of it, don't bother going to school... standards change quickly, and the schools almost always seem to be out of date. You're better off learning it yourself. I went through a media design program and I can tell you everything that I ever learned that was directly useful for getting my job came from either the graphic design classes we had to take, or the things I taught myself outside of class.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You can try freelancing on websites like rentacoder.com, also checkout sitepoint.com they have a lot of good info.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When studying Graphic Design in school, are you normally expected to present your completed assignments with the rest of the class?:afr

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
Art degrees are kind of a waste unless you're very passionate about it and aren't worried about the job prospects (or lack thereof). Unless your ultimate goal in life is to be a graphic designer and you won't settle for anything else, I think I'd look into a field where you'd have an easier time finding employment. It sounds to me like you just want an easy SA-friendly job, but aren't that serious about it.

In fields like graphic design, illustration, fashion design, video game development, 3D modeling, video production, etc. there is a large pool of people competing for a very small number of jobs. Most people with art degrees never end up doing it professionally. CalArts and Art Center are sort of like the Ivy League of schools specializing the commercial arts and the people who go to those good schools tend to get the jobs unless you're just someone with exceptional talent.

If you decide to do this, do research on the school and ask them for statistics about students finding employment after graduation. Do some Google research. A lot of these two year art colleges and online schools are kind of dodgy and don't have much credibility in the industry.

If you just want a job where you just sit in a cubicle at a computer and have minimal interaction with people have you thought about IT, computer repair, or CAD drafting? Pretty much all junior colleges offer certificates and Associate's degrees in those fields.

That's just my 2 cents, though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
When studying Graphic Design in school, are you normally expected to present your completed assignments with the rest of the class?:afr
Normally for graphic design programs you have to present in front of the class and they'll critique your work afterwards. That's like only every 2 weeks when projects are due. Don't worry, its mostly meant to give you pointers and perfect your design method. Most of the time you're behind the computer screen or a drafting desk.

Everyone, even the non-SAers, are visibly nervous during critiques. If you need to, you can privately discuss with your professor your anxiety problem and they should be able to help you. And I'd say, in my experience, about 60% of the creative types have the same SA problem in the beginning of these programs so you'll definitely not be alone.

Two things I learned as an SAer and graphic design classes. Don't be late with your projects, the professors and students hate that, and it'll exasperbate more anxiety problems. And don't miss class. Unlike normal lecture classes (say biology or history), classes are usually lab days, and the professors take offense to missed classes. Otherwise, if you've got the discipline to keep at those things and have an openess to learn, you'll have a lot fun with everything and the creative process.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Normally for graphic design programs you have to present in front of the class and they'll critique your work afterwards. That's like only every 2 weeks when projects are due. Don't worry, its mostly meant to give you pointers and perfect your design method.
That sounds absolutely terrifying to me!:afr My SA used to cause me to freak out over first day introductions or even when a teacher would call on me in class. I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of being the center of attention on a regular basis like that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's not as bad as it sounds. I spent most of my first classes with nobody critiquing anyone's work, except from the teacher, because most of my classmates didn't want to offend anyone. I still shook a lot, but I got through it b/c I knew the field was something I really wanted to do. In the end, nobody really noticed or cared how nervous I was. But when I nailed a design, and had to present, the feeling kicked ***.

Try Graphic Design I somewhere and see what it's like and if you're passionate about design. Passion for good design is most important I think than SA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I don't want to be the negative person here but...

As a Graphic Designer / Web Designer for the last 5 years, I wouldn't recommend this career.

Its an incredible amount of work with a low level of pay. I've found myself working not just at my full time job but doing quite a bit of freelance stuff just to cover my bases. If I were more willing to move around the country, this may be a bit of a different story.

You also have to constantly be staying up to date on the latest design techniques, software and coding languages. All of this for an Average Max Salary of 45,000 a year.

The only people who are really making money in this career are the ones who are willing to travel around the country, work 24/7 and of course be incredibly talented (I'd say I'm average).

-Ghost

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
You also have to constantly be staying up to date on the latest design techniques, software and coding languages.
This is one of the things I really didn't like about graphic design. It seemed like there were new things to learn every week :sigh Another thing I didn't like is that it's very easy for people to take advantage of us (steal our work), and they generally underestimate the value of design (offering 50 dollars for a logo, for example).

I have a diploma in graphic design but am currently working in a pet shop. Yes, retail was the better option for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a BA in design and I worked for 3 months at a company before being laid off last year. The thing is, I hate graphic design now anyways so while I'm teaching overseas, I'm planning a new career move into photography.

Design was too technical for me. You could create something you though was great, and the client would hate it...or you could create something the client wanted and you thought it was crap, but they would love it.

No satisfaction from an aspiring artist like me :lol

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well, I don't want to be the negative person here but...

As a Graphic Designer / Web Designer for the last 5 years, I wouldn't recommend this career.

Its an incredible amount of work with a low level of pay. I've found myself working not just at my full time job but doing quite a bit of freelance stuff just to cover my bases. If I were more willing to move around the country, this may be a bit of a different story.

You also have to constantly be staying up to date on the latest design techniques, software and coding languages. All of this for an Average Max Salary of 45,000 a year.

The only people who are really making money in this career are the ones who are willing to travel around the country, work 24/7 and of course be incredibly talented (I'd say I'm average).

-Ghost
Is it the same way being a web developer or programmer? I am thinking about trying to become a web developer or computer programmer.

·
Registered
685 Posts
i love graphic design as well but ive come to find out that the pay isnt that great as i thought. but what you CAN do is maybe get a degree in marketing or advertising. those two pay better. or something else similar to graphic design. i think you might like advertising, since marketing is more numbers and stuff like that. its too bad a lot of the jobs involving art dont pay well. i was thinking of going into film editing but i heard they dont pay well either

you could always do a double degree too. take as many classes as you can and do your best so you have a lot of options open when you graduate!

money shouldnt be a motivating factor but in these times theres a lot of competition for these kinds of jobs and you want to be able to support yourself you know"? you got to be reasonable

find something that you love AND that pays well

good luck :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts