Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since everyone has a hype about the new Xmen Wolverine movie, this thread is for the Wolverine.

Graphic Novel Fridays: Wolverine
by Alex Carr on May 01, 2009

Soure: graphic-novel-fridays-wolverine.html

If you read X-Men at all growing up, chances are at some point your favorite character was Wolverine. And I'm not simply projecting-regardless of the fact that I'll be standing in line this weekend to celebrate Hugh Jackman's pitch-and-picture perfect cinematic portrayal in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

The short, hairy, cigar-chomping Canadian anti-hero began as a foil for the Green Goliath in Incredible Hulk #181 (or briefly in #180, if you're keeping score), but after joining the X-Men in 1975 and initially operating in the shadows of his shinier teammates, fans clamored for more. Much of Wolverine's appeal was based on his mysterious origins, and so building his past while keeping it a secret proved problematic. Pretty soon, Wolverine was a failed samurai, a WWII secret ops agent, a Canadian Intelligence operative, a secret military experiment gone feral, and more. The mysteries kept piling atop the character until, eventually, memory implants were introduced in an attempt to make sense of it all. And hey, it worked.

Now, Wolverine appears in enough titles to rival Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man. He's a member of three team books: New Avengers, X-Men, and X-Force, while finding time for adventure in his solo books, oneshots, and mini-series. Over the years, there have been plenty of noteworthy Wolverine stories, but with the release of the new film today, fans may want to sharpen their own memories with a few key books.

In 2001, after over twenty-five years of secrets, Marvel decided to finally tell "The Greatest Marvel Story Never Told": the origin of Wolverine. The decision was not without a little agony, as recounted in the many creator supplemental essays collected in Wolverine: Origin. Yet tracing Logan back to the 19th Century (the healing factor slows his aging, natch) proved to be a sales success and-even better-a success in the eyes of fans.

But Origin only follows young Wolverine so far, and it isn't until the much-revered Barry Windsor-Smith interpretation that we see the man become the living weapon. In Weapon X, adamantium (don't ask) is bonded to Wolverine's skeleton in a brutal process, giving life to the blades that spring from his knuckles. Windsor-Smith's artwork is adult and terrifying and fleshes out all the nightmares in Wolverine's flashbacks.

I'm generally wary of encyclopedias on comic book characters, as they often become obsolete by publication date. But DK cut to the quick in Wolverine: Inside the World of the Living Weapon. The pages are even trimmed in red! And rather than attempting to make too much sense of all the lunacy in Wolverine's backstory, the details are presented as is, contradictions and all. My favorite revelation is that the "X" in the Weapon X program is really a Roman numeral, meaning Wolvie is tenth in a series of military-funded mutant experiments. No, I won't spoil which heroes came before him. The sourcebook is full of mainstream and fanboy trivia (Wolverine has a clone-daughter with blades popping out of her feet; Wolverine and Jean Grey are not-so-secretly in love; there is an alternate universe Wolverine with only one hand, etc.). Not to mention all the killer artwork. If you want to impress/annoy the heck out of the people sitting in front of you at the theater this weekend, be sure to bone up with this excellent package.

And lastly, the granddaddy of 'em all: the Wolverine Omnibus. Clocking in at over 1,000 pages, this is for the completist. Its product description is impressive enough:

"Collects Marvel Comics Presents #1-10, #72-84; Incredible Hulk #180-182, #340; Marvel Treasury Edition #26; Best of Marvel Comics HC; Wolverine (1982) #1-4, (1988) #1-10; Kitty Pryde and Wolverine #1-6; Spider-Man vs. Wolverine #1; Marvel Age Annual #4; and Punisher War Journal #6-7."

This collection is the best there is at what it does, and what it does is make me add it to my wishlist. Spider-Man vs. Wolverine #1? Snikt! It also includes the aforementioned first appearance of Wolverine and the Wolverine mini-series by none other than legendary X-Men scribe Chris Claremont and a young Frank Miller. And if anyone's cell phone goes off in the theater, you can use the omnibus to intimidate, since the book has to weigh close to ten pounds. Get to saving those pennies, bub.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
i wasnt too thrilled how they made wolverine's childhood. a sickly boy? also didnt like how they didnt clear if logan or john is his actual father

·
Registered
811 Posts
i wasnt too thrilled how they made wolverine's childhood. a sickly boy? also didnt like how they didnt clear if logan or john is his actual father
He was a sickly boy in the Wolverine: Origin comic, though you didn't know the sick kid was him for a while, they had another kid who sort of looks like a young Wolverine as a misdirect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts