Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

How do you feel about those who use poor grammar/poor spelling?

• there fine get a life

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • As long as I can make sense of it, who cares if they make mistakes?

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I'll usually read through it, but I find it hard to take the person seriously.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Will not read. Not worth the time or effort.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.4%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I usually don't mind as long as it's not horrible. I also try not to nick pick because then I'll have to be perfect in my grammar, and I know I'm not.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
Not everyone who makes grammar/spelling mistakes is a dummy. Some people have trouble because they are dyslexic, for example. I don't judge people by the way they write :)

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
It depends on the mistake and how many there are. If it looks as if it's just a typo, I'll tend to ignore it. but if its somewun who cant be bothered wth al the rules, I won't take them seriously and sometimes won't bother reading any further.

One thing I find a bit irritating, is the use of "loose" instead of "lose". (e.g. "He will loose his money".) You see it a lot, and it almost seems to have become a fashion lately.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
On message boards, I don't care. If I'm grading students' assignments, then I care.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
i voted "Other"

don't care if i see in on the forums or in chat rooms. im laid back about spelling mistakes cause there is nobody grading online.

for school of course i care.

i am dyslexic and i have things to prove it :p

·
Registered
413 Posts
I know my spelling and grammar is far from perfect so I'm not too bothered about anyone elses. Though text speak does annoy me sometimes.

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
A few typos here and there are OK...as long as there aren't too many and it's readable.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Other. It annoys me and I wish people would make more effort, but like MaidMarian said, not everyone who makes mistakes is a dummy. It may not be the writer's fault that they have problems, so I'll make the effort to read what they have to say.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I dont deem anyone a "dummy" for it but I do find it somewhat irritating. But then again this is a message board, not a term paper. :stu

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
I'm not judgmental about people that do it or anything, but it does bother me a bit in that I'm afraid I'll start getting confused about proper spelling and grammar. Because your sense of what's right is based in part on what you see repeated a lot...

On the other hand, I think too much brain power is wasted on the whole its/it's, their/they're/there, your/you're thing. One spelling for the same sound would be much simpler.

Anyway, this spell checker has taught me a few things, so it would be pretty hypocritical for me to be mad about it.

·
SAS Member
14,430 Posts
I don't care, and i don't care of you care :lol
I'm the worst speller ever and i know it.
but my main language is french and i have as much education as 5$ an hour factory worker(no offence to factory workers)

·
Custom User Title
648 Posts
It doesn't matter much to me as long as I can understand what they are saying, I'm not perfect by any means, and I tend to be a but overzealous with my use of commas and run on sentences. I prefer substance over style, and besides, grammar rules are changing all the time. Language is evolving. I find it kind of interesting to look at people's grammar mistakes. Some of them will probably become rules in the future.

I must say, though, some mistakes can be quite amusing at times, especially when it can be made into something dirty. Also, it's kind of confusing when people neglect to use punctuation.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I don't judge other people negatively for making mistakes or not bothering to write properly when they're perfectly capable of it, but it is quite difficult to read when it's extreme. Whenever I make a grammatical error in writing I just want to stab myself in the eye, but I disregard grammar in speech quite frequently.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I notice and sometimes find it distracting, but I can't say it bothers me or pushes me toward any conclusion about the poster.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
On the other hand, I think too much brain power is wasted on the whole its/it's, their/they're/there, your/you're thing. One spelling for the same sound would be much simpler.
I was never a fan of who and whom. There are a lot of instances where 'whom' is the correct word, but it just doesn't sound right or it makes you sound snobbish.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I put Other. I realize that languages are not everyone's strength, but it still annoys me when people can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're," lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't really mind because they are just being themselves.. Usually they do it on perpose but I'm sure most of them can write fine if they had to.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts