Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a BA in Anthropology and am strongly considering going back for a Masters possibly in Medical Anthro. I'd like to ultimately get into the field of international development.

Anyone else thinking about or planning to go back to school?

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
I went to grad school, mainly as a way of avoiding the "real world" a little longer. I got an MA in English, and then enrolled in a PhD program that I dropped out of after a couple years. I'm currently unemployed. I don't know if I'll ever try to go back to grad school, though. My confidence is kind of shot.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I'm planning on grad school, most likely for forensic anthropology.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm planning on going to medical school, but I change my mind (med school, vet school, psychology, nursing) about every four days, so ask again soon:)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm in grad school right now for social work. School has always been the toughest thing for me to deal with, anxiety-wise, so I'm having a tough time. It will be worth it, though.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'll be starting my first semester of grad school in a few weeks for library science - I don't think the program is going to be too difficult, but I've been out of school for about a year and the idea of having to interact with classmates and professors again is really daunting. I don't really have any idea what to expect and I already feel pretty intimidated.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I might go to grad school. Not sure. I could stay where I am for a year after my BA because of this accelerated BA/MA program; or I could move far away, establish residency, and then get my MA. It's certainly better for the job world.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
I'd love to but my SA is holding me back. I was all ready to take the GMATs and everything when I decided my has just been too bad lately and I couldn't handle it. Maybe at some point in the future.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been thinking about it. I'm so afraid to ask my professors for references, though.
Oh me too. I've been out of school for two years now, so it's not like I would have to approach them after class or something. But even the thought of sending an email or calling them up freaks me out. It doesn't help that I don't really expect any of them to remember me.

206 Posts
I'm graduating with my BA in Anthropology this December and applying for grad school for fall 2010. I am terrified! I don't want to ask my professors for references either... although one has already offered... but I need two more. I have the fear of being rejected :/ I want to do something with Biological Anthropology... probably primate related.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
Anyone else thinking about or planning to go back to school?
I'm always thinking about or planning to go back to school, but I never can get straight exactly what for.

Just on a lark I've applied to a couple things, just to see if I could be accepted. I was. It's strange; I've been accepted to programs that a lot of people bust their *** trying to get into, and many never make it.....and I did it mostly as a joke. I'm such a sick waste of talent.

I graduated three years ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am in right now. I finished my MS in 07 then worked for a year then went back for PhD. I fit in pretty well in academia so I am hoping to make it a career.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm graduating with my BA in Anthropology this December and applying for grad school for fall 2010. I am terrified! I don't want to ask my professors for references either... although one has already offered... but I need two more. I have the fear of being rejected :/ I want to do something with Biological Anthropology... probably primate related.
Very cool. I initially got into Anthropology more interested in the cultural side, but I ended up REALLY enjoying biological anthropology.

Good luck with those references! Don't worry; they probably get asked all the time. I really doubt they would turn ya down. (At least that's what I keep telling myself.)

·
Banned
139 Posts
I'll be starting my first semester of grad school in a few weeks for library science - I don't think the program is going to be too difficult, but I've been out of school for about a year and the idea of having to interact with classmates and professors again is really daunting. I don't really have any idea what to expect and I already feel pretty intimidated.
I considered obtaining a Master of Library Science degree, after getting my B. A. I gave it a lot of thought and decided not to pursue it.

For the advanced level of education, the salaries are extremely low. And in addition, library jobs are very vunerable to budget cuts. Very vunerable. In my area, some libraries are now open only three days a week. For the time being, school librarians are facing a very uncertain future.

At the university level, I think the future is very murky, too.

Do weigh your options. Good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would go to grad school, but the thought of taking out more loans make me cringe. If it was free, I would definitely go. If I have to take out more loan, then no.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I considered obtaining a Master of Library Science degree, after getting my B. A. I gave it a lot of thought and decided not to pursue it.

For the advanced level of education, the salaries are extremely low. And in addition, library jobs are very vunerable to budget cuts. Very vunerable. In my area, some libraries are now open only three days a week. For the time being, school librarians are facing a very uncertain future.

At the university level, I think the future is very murky, too.

Do weigh your options. Good luck!
I've heard opinions along those lines, but I consider it a somewhat pessimistic view of the field. There are still many good opportunities. I suppose it helps not to be in it for the money.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
I would go to grad school, but the thought of taking out more loans make me cringe. If it was free, I would definitely go. If I have to take out more loan, then no.
I don't blame you. The interest rates for federal loans are quite high right now (about 7%). 5-6 years ago, they were only about 2%.
For any PhD level program though, I think all tuition is paid plus you get a living stipend.

206 Posts
I pretty much have no choice but to go to grad school because my dad is a disabled vet and I get a certain amount of free college. Why join the real world when I can further my education for free. (Well, I have to pay for books and living expenses.)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts