Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i saw this video linked from a news site lately:

Now first I'll say it's extremely unlikely that Gov. Rick Perry has SA; he probably did way too little preparation before the debate.

BUT - I could so feel his pain as he tried to remember that third point, with all those people watching him and the spotlight on him, where the stakes are high. That kind of thing is exactly what happens to me in social situations. Sometimes I would know things really well (or at other times less well, like with Gov Perry) and I just won't be able to remember it. All the while time will be ticking by with everyone watching you, demanding, expecting an answer - but you just can't, you just can't give them one.

Then once the moment has passed, once you've already made a fool of yourself (in the real sense - not just "imagining it") THEN everything will come flooding back into me.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
But Rick Perry would consider himself as being mentally normal and all of us SAD people as pathetic crybabies who need to pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps.

Conservatives don't have any use for the mentally ill. They think it's a label for lazy, irresponsible parasites to hide behind.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
But Rick Perry would consider himself as being mentally normal and all of us SAD people as pathetic crybabies who need to pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps.

Conservatives don't have any use for the mentally ill. They think it's a label for lazy, irresponsible parasites to hide behind.
It is not true. Maybe we do need to pull ourselves up, though.

Was he trying to lecture Ron Paul or something? Epic fail.
What does that have to do with anything?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I knew this thread was going to turn political even if it has nothing to do with it. But hey. The name Rick Perry is in the title.

Anyway to the OP yes I have had similar things happen to me when talking to unfamiliar people. My brain just shuts down and I forget everything. When talking to people my mind has a lot of racing thoughts and I forget a lot of things. I also tend to repeat myself a lot because I forget what I said a couple of seconds ago.

It's just awkward and I hate it. That's why I don't like to talk to people.

It's also why I get terrible stage fright when having to do presentations. When I have a presentation I literally have to spend around 10x more time on it than a normal person would and I end up neglecting all my other classes because of it. My speech has to be planned to every detail because if it is not, I'll screw it up. The oral presentations is what makes me hate college so much.

·
Meek
447 Posts
He has mentioned (paraphrasing here, can't remember exactly) that he hated making speeches more than anything so he had to practice and practice...perhaps he does/did have some level of social anxiety brought on by these brain blanks. I'm the same in public - my mind just works sooo...damn...slowly and I know I'm coming across as stupid. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ohh that's what I do a lot. Except I usually just stutter and end up not saying anything, even though I know exactly what I wanted to say :doh

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thing I don't get is that Rick Perry is a seasoned politician. He's the governor of Texas for crying out loud. A man in his position is supposed to be surgical with his wit and his words. How did he arise to the level of governor without mastery of rhetoric skills? Sometimes its not what you know its who you know.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I take 20mg of cipralex and I can't feel nervous anymore. I have no trouble talking to 30+ people.
I haven't been on any pills so far. Once I graduate from college and start looking for a job I think I'm going to try and get on something. I don't think I'm going to be able to work in the real world without some kind of aid. My anxiety is way too high. I don't know how I've even stuck though college it's been hell.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I remember one time talking to a girl about the 5 subjects I was studying at school and I couldn't recall the fifth subject. This was well into the school year and these weren't new subjects to me. My mind just couldn't access that info at that moment. Of course I remembered what they were afterwards when I was by myself.

It's so weird it really makes me curious as to exactly what is happening to my memory related neuronal pathways when such memory lapses happen.

·
Dancing on my own
1,665 Posts
I think.it has nothing to do with anxiety and more to just do with lack of preparation and general eloquent speak skills. He reminds me of George W Bush with his statements.

My father is a diehard Republican and even he remarked that Rick "just talks out of his a** and says whatever comes to his mind."

But yeah, I do get random mental blocks when under pressure...but then again, I'm not the one running for the Presidency either, where I know I'll need to do as much preparation as possible.

·
Cinderella
10 Posts
I felt sorry for Ricky Perry last night watching him struggle for this thoughts. I can totally identify, except I am that way when talking to just one or two people. Can't imagine being in a debate on national television.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts