Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to write this down and take the plunge......

As an adolescent I suffered terribly with social anxiety but at the time didn't have a clue what was going on, just very depressed but kept on going.... Certain objectives inspired me and a desire to proove people wrong gave me the ability to manage my anxiety and suceed in a profession and obtain BSc, MSc and PhD. I am now happily married and expecting our third child..... I lecture at the university initially as a perverse means to overcome public speaking and yet have developed an international reputation.... but I have now prooved I can do it ....... and social anxiety is back with avengence.

Over the past 6 months I have changed from a professional academic to near a shy child. I have real difficulties in holding a conversation and fear any social interaction. I have a family and career at risk and am very very scared...... by the nature of the disease I can not speak to anyone about this... I assume they just think I'm losing it.......

·
Banned
115 Posts
You can talk to a MD about it. They legally cant say anything to anyone without your consent. Believe me, I understand how hard it is to seek help for anxiety. It took me 13 years just to go to a doctor.

It seems like you have done extremely well in spite of your anxiety. I mean you got a PhD, a wife, several kids, and it seems like your a respected individual. You should be very proud of yourself because these are some major life achievements.

I recommend that you see a GP or a psychiatrist. No one will think your "losing it", especially medical people. They are trained to treat these disorders and its what they do for a living. There is definitely no shame in going on meds for anxiety or depression.

Its not like anyone chooses to have anxiety. It is just that people are forced to deal with it somehow when it gets bad enough. Its a lot like having a cavity in some ways. If you have a cavity and dont get treatment for it then it will just get worse and eventually it will need to be pulled.

The same is true of anxiety. The longer you ignore it, the worse it gets. Trust me, most people dont "grow out" of their anxiety. I finally tried meds what I learned that it will never get better without some type of treatment.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
If it has come back in the last six months then I'm assuming something had to of happened prior to that to trigger your anxious thoughts again. Can you recall anything that might of happened in your life prior to six months ago which might of triggered your anxious thoughts?

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Lecturing can be fun. The best part about lecturing is that *you're* in charge. The students have to listen to you. And if they don't, then it's *their* loss, not yours. It's going to be reflected in their grades, not in your abilities.

And if they aren't listening (and it's true, they probably aren't listening, but rather texting or surfing the net or whatever), then it doesn't matter anyway, because they won't notice you if you mess up.

Plus, lecturing is one of the few jobs where you can do something absolutely crazy and embarrassing and have it be a good thing. Jump around the room like a crazy person while screaming your lecture? Yeah, that'll get their attention and they'll actually look forward to coming to class and maybe actually learn something. Your ratemyprofessors.com score will go through the roof.

And if you've acquired an international reputation, then you must be skilled, qualified, and/or doing something else right. :yes

What's your field? I'm a Ph.D. student studying (early modern European) History.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lecturing can be fun. The best part about lecturing is that *you're* in charge. The students have to listen to you. And if they don't, then it's *their* loss, not yours. It's going to be reflected in their grades, not in your abilities.

And if they aren't listening (and it's true, they probably aren't listening, but rather texting or surfing the net or whatever), then it doesn't matter anyway, because they won't notice you if you mess up.

Plus, lecturing is one of the few jobs where you can do something absolutely crazy and embarrassing and have it be a good thing. Jump around the room like a crazy person while screaming your lecture? Yeah, that'll get their attention and they'll actually look forward to coming to class and maybe actually learn something. Your ratemyprofessors.com score will go through the roof.

And if you've acquired an international reputation, then you must be skilled, qualified, and/or doing something else right. :yes

What's your field? I'm a Ph.D. student studying (early modern European) History.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)
Hi, kelly, i found you are always here :clap:clap

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

Many thanks to all of you for your thoughts and time. I took advice and visited the Physician today and have been reffered for therapy etc, with some medication. He was very nice and, wow I feel a slight weight has been shifted slightly.

Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts