Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Learned helplessness seems to be the very definition of what my funk has been the past two year (junior and senior year of college).

For the first time in my life I'm not optimistic about my social life improving and being the person I thought I would become growing up. First two years of college while I didn't have a very functional social life I had in mind "well okay life still isnt great but you're just gonna have turn things around junior and senior year."

And here I am end of march senior year and even though I have one year left due to my degree I've come to realize that the easy times for making friends has come to pass. Even for people without social anxiety, most have met the social circle they will have for the rest of their life.

I can feel my brain being zapped of motivation which according to wikipedia is exactly what happens when organisms experience learned helplessness. My memory seems like its getting worse and my sense of humor has diminished to quite an extent. I don't really enjoy music any more. The relatively few relationships I have managed to have up to this point in my life are also diminishing.

Learned helplessness is truly a ****ty thing and I guess my point of the last paragraph is in addition to having to bleaker outlook on the future it is affecting the present. Quite a feedback loop!

As my external conditions get more and more serious my internal conditions are reacting and my motivation to get my **** together is at definitive low.

Someone tell me they can relate...
I have looked all throughout the forums searching for someone who was in my situation also with an outlook similar to mine who has turned the ship around as they say. Countless hours of lurking.

Please someone be out there who will point me to the way. I don't have the motivation to help myself and make friends. Like chemically, the dopamine just isn't there. Please someone be out there. I need some sort of divine intervention.

P.s. the only way I had the motivation to write all this is I took 30 mg of adderall so my dopamine pathways are actually operating at the moment... Lol

P.s.s. Looking for a divine intervention

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Ben1991! :)

You have just over a year, that's enough time to learn to talk to people. Since it is also at school, you will automatically have something in common with your classmates. Study groups, groups projects, Student Union hangouts, cafeterias....there are a lot of places you can go.

Welcome to SAS! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts