Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last, i have ordered and paid for a drink at a bar, tonight. Ok, I was with someone, but still, I asked them what they wanted, I faced the bartender, and ordered both drinks, waited while she made them, and paid. and it was fine. That thread about eating in the food court really inspired me. The very next opportunity I have to do this, I will do it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Nice that would really make me nervous. Especiailly because I suck at drinking lol. I'm working on it though.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Nice one leonardess, I was too nervous to do this for a long while as well. I kept worrying that i'd forget what to ask for, or i'd get ignored and the barman would serve other people and not me - all silly thoughts, but they seem real enough when you're working yourself up. Its only recently that i've overcome this fear, glad you have as well :)

·
Jedi Consular
63 Posts
That's awesome!! :clap I usually order at the bar w/ another person. Loud bars or pubs not really for me if I'm at a sit-down table. Love sangrias! Did you eat at the bar?

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
Good on ya! I just wish the two local pubs near my place actually made cocktails. Actually, I think one might.. I should look into it because I've always wanted to try a Dirty-Wet Vodka Martini.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the encouragement everyone - much appreciated. As usual, in hindsight I have to wonder why did I find this so intimidating?? The reality proved to be very different from what I had imagined. It's like any other transaction. When I first walked in the place, there were two bartenders there, having a conversation - I was a little nervous, as I don't want to intrude/am afraid of being ignored. But, I stood there with 10pound note in hand, and deliberately made eye contact with BOTH, and then was served. No problem. It was great.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's awesome!! :clap I usually order at the bar w/ another person. Loud bars or pubs not really for me if I'm at a sit-down table. Love sangrias! Did you eat at the bar?
No, this was inside a restaurant. Although, that could be another challenge....this is a chain called La Tasca over here, I love the restaurant and the food, and their Sangrias - but then, I've only had Sangrias there. I'd love to go to Spain and have a Sangria there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement everyone - much appreciated. As usual, in hindsight I have to wonder why did I find this so intimidating?? The reality proved to be very different from what I had imagined. It's like any other transaction. When I first walked in the place, there were two bartenders there, having a conversation - I was a little nervous, as I don't want to intrude/am afraid of being ignored. But, I stood there with 10pound note in hand, and deliberately made eye contact with BOTH, and then was served. No problem. It was great.
Hey that is so great! You definitely had a "corrective experience" then and I'm sure you'll be able to build on it. That was me that ate in the food court a week or so ago ( : Glad I inspired someone, and not to brag but just to give you hope that you can make a lot of progress too...I'm not eating in the middle of regular restaurants, by myself, not a care in the world! (well on most days ....today was a bad day (PMS) so I staid inside much of the day)

Good job and good luck on your next challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts