Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a follow-up to my last post. Anyways, i met with my friend for the first time in two years. Weve been keeping in touch almost daily through email but i was nervous about seeing her in person again. Its been so long.

But it actually went amazingly well. When i first saw her i was stunned at how she looked even more amazing than i remembered her. I was a little shaky at first from that initial shock but i calmed down pretty quickly i dont think she noticed much. We talked a lot and i surprised myself at how i was able to keep conversations going. Still a lot of room for improvement, but overall i felt less inhibited than usual.

Before she left she gave me a hug (PHEW! i was afraid id have to initiate it!). Okay, it wasnt anything huge, i know were just friends (she has a boyfriend anyways), but it still felt good to have that physical contact. Ive never been hugged before by someone i was attracted to. I think shes getting more comfortable around me too coz she said we should get together more often.

Im a bit bummed that im gonna be out of town for the next couple weeks. Its a funny thing, as well as this went, its gonna hurt being away from her even more now. I go two years without seeing her, now that i get a taste, 2 weeks is just too long. But this is a triumph nonetheless.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
Doesn't it feel good. I was hugged once by the opposite sex. It was 9 years ago at my other job. I ran into this gal I had a few classes with in college. She was getting her Masters degree in Therapy. She was doing her internship where I work. I ran into her in the file room. She immediately gave me a big hug. I was very surprised. I wished I would of dated her when I was in college, but she was a few years older then me. Also, she had a young child at home. I heard that she got married and moved to North Carolina. Another one of my lost opportunities in life.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Kev,

Dude! You know what it feels like! I went throught he same things at my stepsister's wedding. No, this doesn't involve my stepsister (gross...that's like step-incest! :puke). It was my stepbrothers now ex-girlfriend. I actually felt like I could talk to women after that.

Way to go, Kev!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That happened to me once too! Sorta. When I was done with college there were some high school gals I knew who were easy to talk to but didn't think much of it. (this was waaaaay before I knew what SAD was or that I had it) A few years later I met one (actually on the street) visiting home from college, and just like nothing she hugged me.
Wow. That was so neat and so wierd. I don't think she knew I didn't get hugs. It was second nature to her. Probably 10 years ago now but it was a pivotal moment in my life.
I was like "so this is what it feels like." And now I wonder what it feels like its been so long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts