Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do those of you with agoraphobia deal with things when your ill and need a doctor?

Ive got a really painful ear infection which ive had for weeks (hoping it would go away on its own) its getting unbearable, but the agoraphobia is getting in the way of me going to the doctors.

Any idea what i should do?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Collette, I'm so sorry you are in such pain. I think earache ranks right up there with toothache as being excrutiating pain.

I have never actually been agoraphobic. Although there were plenty of things I didn't want to do, I could make myself do them. Do you have a friend who would go with you? What about your husband? Can he help?

I hope you'll find some way to do it. An infection of this kind, when left unattended, can really do some permanent damage.

Find a way to go and get the medication you need ASAP.

·
Registered
59 Posts
luckily I live with my parents, so when I'm having a particularly awful spell and need something- they're pretty nice about going out and getting it. sounds like you definitely need to take care of this- I know it's hard- but is there anyway you could call your doctor's office and explain your situation? some of those folks are real hard asses- but others can be very flexible.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes, I agree with dust. Can you call your doctor and have him/her call in a presciption for you and have someone you know pick it up and bring it to you? Hope you feel better.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
I would highly suggest getting it checked out, or like Ms. Deer said, it could lead to permanent damage. I had a double ear infection last October and it killed, but once I went to the doctor and got medicine it healed almost the next day.

Try bringing someone with you. I'm sure they'll even allow the person in the room with you while you're being checked out if you request so. I had my mom with me and they really didn't care. More than likely it won't take very long, they'll just look in your ears, make a decision and give you a prescription.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Collette said:
how do those of you with agoraphobia deal with things when your ill and need a doctor?

Ive got a really painful ear infection which ive had for weeks (hoping it would go away on its own) its getting unbearable, but the agoraphobia is getting in the way of me going to the doctors.

Any idea what i should do?
:hug Sorry to hear that

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Sheri said:
Try bringing someone with you. I'm sure they'll even allow the person in the room with you while you're being checked out if you request so.
I'd go with that suggestion. Having someone with you isn't unusual. Doctors always have an extra chair in the exam room, so apparently having another person along is nothing unusual (or they just like having useless extra furniture). I go in with my mother when she sees her doctors, since I want the full story first hand, rather than some mangled version of the truth as best as she can recall. I think I'm also better able to articulate her problems/issues than she is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replys.

Im going to try and get seen at an 'out of hours clininc 'at the hospital, my husband can come with with me then, its stupid that our doctors surgery closes before my husband finishes work at 6.00pm.

Thanks again for the replys. :thanks

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I've had two ear infections before and they hurt like hell. I'm very afraid of going to the doctors, but this time I was practically begging to go. That's how bad it hurt. Hope you get better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks.
Ive got a course of antibiotics, so it should go in a few days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts