Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good careers for people with SAD?

I have been unsuccessful in my field and am considering other areas. Is anyone here with SAD successful in their careers? I was considering law, I don't think this is a highly social area... but then again I don't know much about it. Any suggestions or advice?

·
Registered
36 Posts
What about something to do with accounting? I work for an agency that has a pretty small building and I don't even know most of the people who work in accounting -- I assume they must not have much contact with anyone. I'm trying now to get a promotion that will let me do more paperwork at my desk and much less contact with the public -- it has to do with auditing. I would still have contact with people, but it would be mostly people I already know.

Being a lawyer could work, it just depends on what kind of law you would practice. Trial lawyer? No. But you could get into patent law or something that requires a lot of research and report-writing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I want to be a diplomat, which is weird because it's a job that involves LOTS of social interaction. I hope I can do it. Bottom line: do something you'll enjoy; don't pick something that will make you miserable just because of your SA.

·
Registered
742 Posts
beckyphry said:
What about something to do with accounting? I work for an agency that has a pretty small building and I don't even know most of the people who work in accounting -- I assume they must not have much contact with anyone. I'm trying now to get a promotion that will let me do more paperwork at my desk and much less contact with the public -- it has to do with auditing. I would still have contact with people, but it would be mostly people I already know.

Being a lawyer could work, it just depends on what kind of law you would practice. Trial lawyer? No. But you could get into patent law or something that requires a lot of research and report-writing.
i think that whats i am getting into i am going to be starting school in aug from an accounting program it sounds like it would be kind of SA free

·
Registered
13 Posts
Accounting may not be as social as something like a teacher or nurse or salesperson, but in my experience, they still prefer someone who's outgoing and confident to someone who's not. They're usually looking for a can-do attitude (yuck, job speak) and someone who's comfortable with themselves. In any office job that I can think of there's a lot of interaction with people. And you usually have to go to meetings and interact with all kinds of people in person and on the phone. Some accounting jobs require someone who can deal with angry or demanding people. It depends on the specific job.

An ideal job for me might be eBay seller, but I've had a hard time finding merchandise to sell, and eBay stresses me out, anyway.

Another possibility is some sort of business like a coin laundromat, vending machines, or self-service kiosks. In these kinds of businesses I don't think you interact with people much. You just collect the money and maintain the store or equipment. They have information about these businesses in self-employment websites and magazines.

Another job for people with SA might be merchandising. You go to stores and stock shelves. They probably require you to have nice customer service skills, but I think you just mainly greet the store employees and speak with them whenever the need might arise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts