Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ex SA Suffer-er lol :)
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good affirmations I made or found or got introduced to by friends. Solve your SA!

Affirmations were a powerful tool to help me overcome my Social anxiety and depression. Combined with EFT. Here are a couple for you guys to work with.

Powerful affirmations:
my favorite: "I am to confident and self accepting to judge myself." (we are our own worst judge nobody judges us as bad as we think WE are the ones judging ourselves, we can either choose to be our own worst enemy or our best friend ;))
- I am gentle with myself
- I love and accept who I am.
- I respect myself.
- I am worthwhile.
- I encourage myself.
- I know that what people think of me is none of my business.
- I feel I belong and I feel connected to other people.
- I expect people to be friendly an nice.
- I expect people to like me.
- I expect people to accept me for who I am.
- I am a positive thinker.
- I always have a positive attitude.
- I choose to think positive.
- I am getting more positive and confident everyday.
- I choose to feel calm and confident in all social situations.
- I am a socially confident person.
- I easily get out of my comfortzone.
- I choose to feel calm an confident when Im out of my comfort zone.
- I always know exactly what to say in a conversation.
- I speak to people with ease and confidence.
- I know that people are to concerned with themsleves to be judging me.
- I am confident.
- I am attractive and the ladies/guyz are intreasted in me.
- I accept the way I look.
- I beleive the world is a friendly place.
- I beleive life is full of wonderful opportunities.
- I beleive that life is beautiful.

Sure feels nice reading all these right?? Lol
Positive thoughts are way more powerful and make you feel way better than negative thoughts. Like my coach told me it takes approximately 100 negative thoughts to equal the power of just ONE positive thought. Negative thoughts don't even have power all they do is make you feel like **** lol. It's time to get rid of them and reerse em when they occassionally pop up to try and toy with you. Repeating an affirmation throught the day also gets rid of negative thoights itself popping up but it also gets rid of tapes that play and paly in your head. Or it keeps you from daydreaming and fantysizing about something horrible might happen. Good stuff right here!

Well guyz I hope the mountain off affirmations help. What i've been taught is to choose the one that you want to become a reality first and repeat it to yourself as much as possible throught the day. The rest you repeat all together with the rest. It's best to right them down and read em in first person 2nd and third. Like: I love myself. You love yourself. (your name) loves himself/herself.

Good luck! Affirmations are a good tool to change your way of thinking into a more positive rational realistic way. Change is possible. Motivation and determination gets you there faster. Tryng and failing and quiting and not learning from mistakes gets you nowhere. Tryng and failing and viewing failure as success cause you learned from your mistake and continue pushing gets you to your goal. Hasta luego amigas y amigos!

- Cesar ;)

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm having a particularly bad day with my SA, saying stuff like this in my head doesn't really do much. I'm 100% for positive thinking, obviously, but my self esteem is just way too low for me to be a-ok the moment I tell myself something like 'I am worthwhile.' With enough practise maybe (I hope). :roll

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is your SA really gone?
Yupp ;) what really helped was changing my way of thinking with affirmations and afformations. Changing my beliefs. Self acceptance loving who you are and accepting all your imperfections. Also lowering the intensity of my anxious feelings by using EFT (emotional freedom technique). They are completely gone. It's all about positive emotions and feelings bow baby! Lol... It's possible to overcome this...

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey those made me feel a bit better. I like this one

Now if I could just get out of my house to test them out...
hahaha yea man that would help. You have to go out in the world and find evidence to prove your new powerful beliefs to be right. Negative thinking all your doing is fueling and empowering your negative beliefs which is not good. Changing your brain is possible. Good luck my friend ;)

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
I'm a big fan of EFT myself, good to see your using it and combining it with other things - that's the key I think. We may all have anxiety, but how that anxiety is constructed is unique to us all. So to an extent I think the remedy has to be tailored to the individual, which is a case of finding what benefits you which you appear to be doing.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm having a particularly bad day with my SA, saying stuff like this in my head doesn't really do much. I'm 100% for positive thinking, obviously, but my self esteem is just way too low for me to be a-ok the moment I tell myself something like 'I am worthwhile.' With enough practise maybe (I hope). :roll
I had a terrible self esteem myself and got compliments on my looks all the time and felt like they didint mean them or they were just saying them and not meaning them. A good way to get over this is self acceptance. Love yourself for who you are. Accept all your imperfections.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yay for affirmations. I think that if social anxiety is rooted in low self esteem or low confidence, then positive statements like these can be very helpful. One problem I have with them though is that some affirmations are too simple or general to be applied. There I recommend a book like The Self Talk solution, which has specific "scripts" to use for whatever area you want to change.

I'm also using some EFT techniques to help me. It seems to work but I am still pretty skeptical. OP are you self taught or are you doing EFT with a therapist?

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm a big fan of EFT myself, good to see your using it and combining it with other things - that's the key I think. We may all have anxiety, but how that anxiety is constructed is unique to us all. So to an extent I think the remedy has to be tailored to the individual, which is a case of finding what benefits you which you appear to be doing.
yupp true I like what you said bout how everyone develops they're anxiety differently... I have successfully used EFT combined with affirmations and afformations to overcome my SA... Feels nice to be free lol good stuff man keep using it;)

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yay for affirmations. I think that if social anxiety is rooted in low self esteem or low confidence, then positive statements like these can be very helpful. One problem I have with them though is that some affirmations are too simple or general to be applied. There I recommend a book like The Self Talk solution, which has specific "scripts" to use for whatever area you want to change.

I'm also using some EFT techniques to help me. It seems to work but I am still pretty skeptical. OP are you self taught or are you doing EFT with a therapist?
Hurray for affirmations!!! Wooohooo! Lol and yeah I was a bit skeptical at first to. Due to the fact that you look like a maniac doing the technique hahah but yea it works ;) keep using it =) and that book sounds really nice.. It's cool how you said that there's certain scripts for certain areas. That's a nice add on. To work on the weakest areas first. Niice.. Good luck with your SA! ;) And yes if your self taught you can still use to your advantage. Pretty simple technique ;) good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Same here. I really want stuff like that to help, but I just find it hard to believe. I try to tell myself something like 'I am worthwhile' and I just automatically think of eight billion reasons why I'm not. I really wish I didn't do that. Does it take tons of practice?

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
I try to tell myself something like 'I am worthwhile' and I just automatically think of eight billion reasons why I'm not.
Yeah, same with me. When I'm alone sometimes it's easier to think positive thoughts about myself but if I'm in public, I'm usually paranoid that people are looking at me and thinking bad thoughts about me so if I tell myself at that time I'm worthwhile, ect, I really struggle to believe it because all I can really focus on is how much everyone in sight must dislike me.. almost simply for being there. :|

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea I know EXACTLY what you guys are talking about how at first your mind dosent beleive it. Your so used to thinking negative. Sometimes you might not even realize tour doing or you might think it's normal. It is not normal to think this way. Changing your way of thinking is possible though. I used to be a really negative thinker. Yes it does take practice. Breaking a habit that your use to doing takes time which is negative thinking. I think my coach said it takes like 24 days or sumthin for you to make new neuro pathways so try like 2 weeks of this and it will get easier after that cause your brain will start changing and new beliefs will be installed. Try reading them infromt of a mirror. Add emotion to it like say it with enthusiasm. You can even say them while tappin on EFT points. Negative feelings cause negative thoughts an negative thoughts cause negative feelings. In my opinion the feeling causes the thought cause if the intense anxious feeling wasn't there you would have less negative thoughts. So it's good to combine EFT in the mix to reduce the intensity. If your mind keeps fighting you keep trying. Or make your first affirmation like I did "I am a positive thinker" I seriously laid in bed and repeated it to myself a bazillion times super fast so my mind wouldn't fight me lol hey it worked. hahaha Then I started beleiveing that I am a positive thinker and the rest of the positive affirmations were easier to install cause they were positive and I'm a positive thinker ;). If your mind still buggs try to add deserve infront of it like .... "I deserve to feel like I'm worthwhile" "you deserve to feel worthwhile" "(your name) deserves to feel worthwhile". Or "I deserve to to be a positive thinker" "I deserve to be happy". just add deserve infront of it ;) hope it helps! Good luck!

- Cesar ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Your the best man. You come on here and spend your time typing this up when you don't even have to because your cured. Ive been using affirmations after reading one of your threads like 2 months ago and they really do work. You just gotta try them out, if you don't, I dont think you want to get rid of your sa then.

Anyways, I really appreciate this and am looking forward to being fully 100% socially confident.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Good thread :clap

I'd like to add to what you said Cesar about "add a deserve" in front of the affirmation.

Yes, exactly, any statement that is not real in the now, and also that your mind has a whole bunch of memory to contradict, will not work too well in most cases. So when you say something like "I deserve to be a positive thinker, and now I'm becoming one" it's WAY more powerful in my opinion, because it's based on what is TRUE for you RIGHT NOW.

Compare this with "I am a really positive thinker!", and the mind is just going hear that statement and replay ALL the HUGE amounts of evidence (memories in physical experience of you behaving and feeling negatively throughout your lifetime, as well as memories of all the negative thoughts you've been thinking) and basically make it impossible to replace that belief, as much as you may want to change, and want to become a positive thinker.

The mind/ego may be twisted, but it certainly aint stupid, so trying to trick it when it has years, possibly even a whole lifetime of contradictory evidence, just by saying affirmations has little chance of working (not saying it could never work, we are all different - but generally I believe strongly that this is how it works)

But affirmations can work, I really believe that, they just need to be closely related to what's true for you right now, and from their they can be molded in the direction you want to head (eg - I may be here right now, but I'm working to move in this direction and be like this)

Again, good thread, thought I'd add some and dig it up for folk to read over.. ;)

Peace and harmony is yours if you choose it.

Nick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts