Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i'm new to this forum =)

i just scheduled a doctor's appointment for this week, and am hoping to get a prescription that can help me alleviate my social anxieties.

The things that trouble me is that i get really anxious @ uni when it comes to tutorials and prac activities where you are forced to participate in group discussion and group work. I'm usually the person that doesn't contribute or say much, not because i'm lazy but have struggled with social situations for most of my life. I also found out that i'm supposed to do a presentation for 5min every second week and i am really getting stressed about this.

I have tried to resolve this by drinking alcohol before class and it usually works but i often get stomach aches and headaches. I also take a packet mints with me to mask the smell of alcohol in the hope that no one notices.

i really don't want to depend on alcohol in these situations, i'm not an addict and i dont like getting drunk so i'm looking at other alternatives.

The thing is, i'm afraid that my doctor will not prescibe me meds, how do i convince him and would they normally prescribe you it on 1st appointment? Do i have to go to a psychologist to have myself assessed, i've been to school counsellors for over 6yrs and nothing helped. Should i say that i've taken prescriptions and have worked with great success
Also what meds have been effective for you guys in this situation? i don't want to go on anti-depressants since i heard they were useless for SA.

Thanks

·
Registered
794 Posts
First off, you really shouldn't use alchol as a way to cope with your SA. That can open a door to a whole load of new problems that you really don't want on top of SA.

Secondly, it took three Doctor's visits before I got my medication (Citalopram; 10MGs) and I got it on the third visit. I am also being sent to a Psychiatrist but I am still on the waiting list for this.

Thirdly, SSRIs and the best researched medication for anxiety and they work very well for some people and not for others. It depends - SSRIs could be great for you, but not for your neighbour.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
First off, you really shouldn't use alchol as a way to cope with your SA.
Alcohol isn't a great choice, but for some of us it ends up being the only choice. Unlike the expensive trash put out by big pharma, alcohol actually will calm just about anybody. Though it clearly has some very serious drawbacks.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just be honest with your doc. Tell him what you told us here. Your anxiety is really interfering with your day to day activities and you would prefer to start trialing meds as soon as possible while still meeting weekly with your doc.

Anti depressants are the number one prescribed medications for anxiety disorders. Don't believe what someone tells you online without double checking the fact yourself from a credible source. Especially on this subject where there are so many misconceptions and misinformation.

In order to arrive at what med will help you best, unfortunately there is no other way but to try them each yourself as they effect every single person uniquely.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Alcohol isn't a great choice, but for some of us it ends up being the only choice. Unlike the expensive trash put out by big pharma, alcohol actually will calm just about anybody. Though it clearly has some very serious drawbacks.
Here our medication is free bar the £5 prescription charge. We don't have financial issues when it comes to medication.

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
OMFG!!! You are like my twin or something...

I began univeristy two weeks ago and it was so bad because each tutorial involved group activities and talking in front of the class. On my 3rd day I decided to get drunk to try calm down my anxiety so I drank a litre of beer before my first class, then in between lessons I went to the toilet and skulled some vodka from the bottle I had in my backpack...
It's really not what you want to be doing but man, I had no choice... I can relate with you fully.

Anyway, later that day during my final tutorial at 6pm I didn't feel calm as i was expecting to feel from the alcohol, but i was still anxious wondering if the teacher and fellow classmates knew I was drunk. :/ It's whack dude, with me, I can be fully drunk after 10 beers or whatever but I still feel anxious around people.. THERE'S NO LETTING UP!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Benzos as needed would probably give you the same calmness without being as toxic as alcohol (or it's metabolites). And nobody could smell that you have taken something. ;)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I did the same at work when I ran out of decent drugs. Bought some £2.99 3L cider and drank some at lunch. Had to take lots of breaks to take leaks and drink more of course :p.

They've fired me now, and I can't blame 'em. The whole episode was pretty desperate, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

To the OP: your doctor will probably only consider SSRIs, so I recommend escitalopram. Please try a dose as high as 20mg or more for 5+ weeks (since any last dose adjustment) before writing them off as useless. You also might want to ask about bupropion or selegiline to counter sexual problems (though at 20mg escitalopram they are still minor for me).

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Barbiturates including Phenobarbital will also calm down just about everybody. Get off the Benzos with Phenobarbital and then alternate Xanax with Pheno and you're done without getting physically dependent on one substance or the other.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I've done this and it worked. It's logically too. 3 weeks Pheno, 3 weeks other GABAergic stuff like Benzos, Meprobamate/Carisoprodol, Clomethiazole... whatever. Benzos are preferred of course because they are safe, Pheno too as it's very slow- and longacting by the way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am also being sent to a Psychiatrist but I am still on the waiting list for this.
Do psychiatrist cost money, i really cant afford to go even if its on a monthly basis since i'm only a uni student and dont go to work yet. I'm attending a health centre located @ the uni so do u think they would send me to the counsellor that's also @ the uni, but i'm afraid that the doctor will think that they're not qualified enough

I did the same at work when I ran out of decent drugs. Bought some £2.99 3L cider and drank some at lunch. Had to take lots of breaks to take leaks and drink more of course :p.

They've fired me now, and I can't blame 'em. The whole episode was pretty desperate, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

To the OP: your doctor will probably only consider SSRIs, so I recommend escitalopram. Please try a dose as high as 20mg or more for 5+ weeks (since any last dose adjustment) before writing them off as useless. You also might want to ask about bupropion or selegiline to counter sexual problems (though at 20mg escitalopram they are still minor for me).
What sort of work did you do and did you get fired because they knew you were drunk @ work?
and what are SSRI's, are they near effective as zoloft, xanax?
i realy need something where the effects starts to kick in within 15min and can control any signs of nervousness when i have to give presentation such as voice trembling, shaking.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
As a long term option 20mg Escitalopram (an SSRI like Zoloft) sound perfect. For short term presentation anxiety your best bet are non-selective beta blockers (Inderal/Carvedilol) and/or benzos (eg. Xanax), but even these will take at least 30 min to kick in.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Do psychiatrist cost money, i really cant afford to go even if its on a monthly basis since i'm only a uni student and dont go to work yet. I'm attending a health centre located @ the uni so do u think they would send me to the counsellor that's also @ the uni, but i'm afraid that the doctor will think that they're not qualified enough
It depends on where you live.

In the UK, no, it's completely free just like the medication (bar the tiny prescription charge). You get it free on the NHS for as long as needed.

What country are you in?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It depends on where you live.

In the UK, no, it's completely free just like the medication (bar the tiny prescription charge). You get it free on the NHS for as long as needed.

What country are you in?
Australia

Does it depend on the doctor or the strength of the drug (for e.g. xanax) in which you are recommended to see a physchologist?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Australia

Does it depend on the doctor or the strength of the drug (for e.g. xanax) in which you are recommended to see a physchologist?
I don't think it has anything to do with the meds because I was recommended to see a psychiatrist before we even discussed medication. It was only on the third visit (the first was the psychiatrist booking and the second was the discussion of the meds) I got my meds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think it has anything to do with the meds because I was recommended to see a psychiatrist before we even discussed medication. It was only on the third visit (the first was the psychiatrist booking and the second was the discussion of the meds) I got my meds.
so there's no chance of me trying to get med on 1st visit? btw i am 17, turning 18 in a few months.
i really the meds in 2weeks, otherwise i can not cope with some of the social situation i'm about to face =(

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
so there's no chance of me trying to get med on 1st visit? btw i am 17, turning 18 in a few months.
i really the meds in 2weeks, otherwise i can not cope with some of the social situation i'm about to face =(
There's a very good chance you'll be able to get something on your first visit, but it really depends on which doc you see -- I somehow managed to land a clonazepam script 10 minutes into my first appointment. Now if your case is atypical or severe, like mine, finding the right medication could take ages.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well, the meds actually take several weeks to kick in anyway. But yes, if you ask you might be able to, it just depends.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, the meds actually take several weeks to kick in anyway. But yes, if you ask you might be able to, it just depends.
is there are particular drug where it can be used for just certain situations, such as giving a presentation or interview?
i wouldn't say i have severe SA, or do the meds need to be taken before first to build its effective and momentum?

thanks for the helpful contribution guys!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts