Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have hangups with going to the cinema? find its difficult to not become anxious when there? I haven't been to the cinema for around 10 years now...

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Not really. Do you mean going by yourself, with others, or both? I usually go alone, not only because I don't have many people to go with, but I actually prefer seeing movies by myself. I suppose the reason it doesn't make me nervous is because it's so dark and I know everyone is much more interested in what's happening on screen than in some random dude sitting by himself.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I haven't been to the movies but 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years or so. Never alone though I can't seem to bring myself to do that yet though I was suppose to as an assignment over the summer by my counselor.

·
learning...
663 Posts
Cinema used to be my big passion and I would go to the movies all the time--when my SA really kicked in in high school, I would skip school and go to the cinema instead--having said that, I always had anxiety when I was there. Buying the ticket would be the major source, but when I was actually watching the film, if the cinema had a few people in it, I would become acutely self-conscious.
I used to end up going on days and times when there was likely to be very few people there(weekday mornings/afternoons).

I have always gone on my own because, for me personally, my anxiety would be far greater if I was actually sitting next to someone. But apart from that I've always just preferred seeing films on my own.

I haven't been for about 6 years... I would love to start going again, though.

On a similar note: there's a play I want to see in November which is on a limited run in London, but I know it will most likely be sold out on the night, so I will have to sit next to people. I really want to see the play, but that's enough to put me off buying a ticket.
Maybe I'll still go, though... I'll just keep working on my SA and keep my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I have never been to the cinema by myself.
With other people, I have never had problems with anxiety.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Going to the movies isn't something that causes me much anxiety, but I've never gone alone. I do hate when it's busy. I avoid going Friday or Saturday nights because I can't stand all the teenagers. I also try to avoid going to movies when they first come out. The scariest part for me is entering the big room and feeling like everyone is looking down at me while I try to find a seat.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I love going to the cinema. It's so dark in there, and I love movies. I always get there really early so I get to pick my own seat and don't have to walk past people in the aisles. I love it there because no one pays any attention to me.

I hate going to places like that where the lights are on or where it is outside, however. The few times I've been to a baseball game were terrible when I had to walk down to find my seat and when we got up to leave. It all has to do with the lighting, and how many people are there already. If it is dark and only a few people are there, it's perfect.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
The movies don't really bother me because I can sink down in my seat and just focus on what's in front of me. Then everything going dark helps as well.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I love going to the movies, but really hate going by myself.
Every now and then, I'll go alone, but I'm anxious until the lights go down and the movie starts. After that, I'm fine. I just find a nice seat in the back and maybe buy a drink to keep me distracted until the movie starts.

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
i love going to the movies. i tried and got a movie group going on, and some came and such, the last movie a few of us saw was Transformers 2. i enjoyed the movie, and being with a group is helpful at times too because we have something in common.

as for myself, i enjoy going to the movies, because when the lights turns off, its show time !

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I hardly get the chance to go to the movies, and I've never been by myself. The thought of going by myself terrifies me.
Of course, another reason I seldom go to the cinema is the selection of films in local theaters. My town mainly receives mainstream film, and I'm more interested in films that are in limited release - thus, I have to wait for the DVD.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I've been to many movies alone. It doesn't make me feel anxious - kind of mysterious, actually. It's in social settings where I'm supposed to talk to people that I get anxious.

·
alien monk
8,507 Posts
I get anxious going alone - mostly when I'm waiting. If I'm with someone I'm comfortable around then I'm fine, but if others are there too (friend's friends) its a bit uncomfortable.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't mind going alone, though I hate it when people I don't know sit too close. I would love to go with someone, but.. yeah.

The best was the time I went to see Dirty Pretty Things. I was the only one in the whole theater. I was scared that when I ran off to the bathroom, that they would shut the movie down. :b

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
I sometimes get abit anxious if I have a stranger sit next to me. Or the people behind me are looking at me through the gap between the seats lol.
I don't like going alone, I was going to see Travellers wife with my mum today but we have builders here so we can't really leave them. I could go on my own, but I hate going on my own. 'Films are better with friends' has it says on the 'orange' phone advertisement :p

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
from when the movie starts to when it ends, no. but all other times, i do.

I hate when the people im with talk with a normal voice before the movie since its pretty impossible for other people not to hear every word you're saying. walking into the theater is pretty obvious if people are there, but for whatever reason I get anxious after a movie...i always get this weird vibe like people want to talk about what we just saw, but that its too cliche to start talking about it...or sometimes theres just nothing much to say when you should be saying something about the movie. i dunno

im ****in weird :roll

(i should point out its not panic attack anxious...just the usual uncomfortable, would rather be somewhere else, anxious)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I enjoy the movie more when the cinema is full. It just gives a nice atmosphere, especially if its a non-serious movie where others can laugh out loud.
I've never felt strong SA while being at the pictures. I never go alone though.

·
On Standby...
76 Posts
I wish i could go alone because going with other people just doesn t make sense. You can t talk, just sit next to each other. It s hardly a group activity. But i can t go anywhere by myself, i just feel way too self-conscious, i need people i know around me to act as a kind of buffer between me and all the others.

Plus, when i m with others, they can do all the interacting with other people, like when getting the tickets, which i just hate.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts