Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't go to my old doctor because he's no longer covered on my parents' insurance. So I have an appointment with a new one to review my Celexa script. What I'm wondering is, can I tell him that I was on Celexa and Xanax, which I wasn't, for panic attacks?

My old doctor refused to help me with my panic attacks because she said the Celexa would handle it.

My question, will the doctor verify with my other one that I was on those meds, or will he just take my word for it?

I'm not trying to be a degenerate, but I feel the Xanax would really help me in times of intense distress.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Depends on your "new" doc. He could take your word for it, or not. I think your better off not lying, if your caught, you lose all creditability with him. Then your chances are hopeless in getting what you want from him. Why not go the old fashion route and just hop on the medical merry go round for awhile, you'll eventually get what you want.

BTW how old are u

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think you should just be honest. Say that the Celexa hasn't been cutting it and you need something to augment your treatment. Say you've been doing your homework into what might work and suggest Xanax to your doctor. The doctor may/not prescribe it, but it's worth being honest rather than found out as a liar. Once found out it will make it harder to get anything. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm 19.

And you guys/gals are right. I don't want to lose credibility. I'm just going to tell him that the Celexa is working but I'm still having panic attacks - give him an example - and hopefully he'll get the hint and prescribe me some for when needed. I would make me feel much better.

·
Banned
642 Posts
I'm just going to tell him that the Celexa is working but I'm still having panic attacks - give him an example - and hopefully he'll get the hint and prescribe me some for when needed. I would make me feel much better.
That is a better way to aproach this. However I would say, "Do you know of anything I could AUGMENT with the Celexa to help with my panic attacks, I would only need it once or twice a week". Augment being the key word......

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
if you are seeing a new doctor they will very likely get your chart from your old practitioner.

so don't lie - and if this doc has a bit more sense they should know to add an effective med against anxiety as well if you are having regular severe panic attacks.
just make sure to express that they are still present and have not diminished from the celexa and maybe mention that you have read about others who successfully use benzos for their panic attacks and you'd really like to try them out.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
It might be a good idea to have your medical records sent to the doctor you change to. How can they help you if you are not honest? They can review these and then you can ask questions and voice your concerns about the way you are feeling. You should not lie to your doctor. It may prevent you from getting proper treatment. :yes

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
yea and if they find out then they put it on your permanent record which is there for life. "PATIENT HAS LIED ABOUT PREVIOUS TREATMENT BE WARY OF EVERYTHING HE SAYS".
i'd love to see what they have written on my charts. it would have commentary from my GP, my first psychiatrist (crap), the nurses, youth workers, social workers and other psychiatrists in the inpatient ward, my current psychiatrist of two years, etc etc. they always write a whole lot more than they actually say so i'm sure there's some interesting/juicy comments.

·
Banned
642 Posts
They actually have permanent records of your medical history? How do they follow you from state to state? I am surprised some ACLU group hasnt went nutzo about that

·
Registered
165 Posts
Since you're young, I'd say especially don't chance it.

People are obsessed with the idea that teens/YA only want to get pills for recreational use, and Xanax is very abusable. Plus, people like to assume that SA isn't real or is exaggerated. if you lie and he finds out, it's only going to make it appear concrete that you're trying to get them for bad reasons.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh...also? people often look like they're writing more than what they told you because it takes so freaking long to write down. "How are you doing?" take maybe 2 seconds to say outloud, and around 5 to write. So he/she talks to you for 5 minutes, and writes for 10, it's probably the same things.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
If any future doc doesn't believe I've consumed as many benzos as I claim I have a full bag filled with empty Xanax bottles from over the years that total over 14,000 mg of Xanax (plus other benzos as well).

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Yes, do what you have to do to get the meds that will help you.

·
Banned
642 Posts
^ I dont know if I'd do that. Some docs have a problem with patients taking meds not prescribed to them. Other docs are understanding, it's a gamble.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
^ I dont know if I'd do that. Some docs have a problem with patients taking meds not prescribed to them. Other docs are understanding, it's a gamble.
Yeah, it's a gamble. One would have to hope their doc has a functioning brain and can figure out that plenty of people share meds with others and that it would be pretty stupid the punish those who are honest enough to admit it as that simply rewards lying.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would say your mom gave you one of her xanax she takes for flying and it helped you when you had a bad panic attack. Friend is bad because it implies recreational use and that will put up a red flag. I was actually surprised at how easy it was to get benzos from my new doctor. I think it is easier once you have prior history being prescribed the medication.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts