Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Poker Junkie
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been listening to them for 10 years and never seen them live before. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with their music but I listen to them significantly more than other bands. They finally announced a new tour, but they're skipping Houston. So I'm driving to San Antonio to see them.

I'm very weirded out by the whole idea. Just the thought of me being by myself around people who are probably in groups give me anxiety.

Anyone been in a similar situation before? Any tips?

·
nothing
286 Posts
The only thing remotely similar situation I have been in is going to the movies alone. There I just kind of not look at people and just enjoy the movie.

I hope someone responds with a better answer than that.

You have bigger cajónes than me, my friend.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I've been to close to 15 concerts alone. It really isn't that big of a deal; you go and listen to the music.

At the Janet Jackson concert I went to recently, I wore a Michael Jackson t shirt and got lots of comments. I even had full conversations with other Jackson fans!

You'll be surrounded by tons of Evanesence fans! What better way to break the ice with somebody?

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Good for you on not letting lack of company hold you back in life! :yes

·
Registered
161 Posts
Go for it dude! I've missed several of my favorite artists in the last couple of years because I didn't have anyone to go with. Listen to what some of the folks in the posts above said about conversation starters. Everybody has something in common at concerts. :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Evanescence is my favorite band and would love to see them live but, for one thing I'm broke and don't drive and the closest they're coming to me is Hollywood which is about an hour and a half away. I think if I was able to go and it would be alone, I wouldn't care because I was there to see and hear them and I would probably forget about everyone else....maybe.

I hope you do have a great time and enjoy yourself. I wish they were coming to my city. Then maybe I'd have a chance of winning tickets on the radio. Good luck!

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Certainly go for it, once the music starts and you get involved in the atmosphere you will really enjoy every second and completely ignore the SA side of things, everyone is concentrating on the music and they don't care about those around them.

Be a good exposure exercise and good for you confidence as well!!

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
A couple years ago I drove from Atlanta to Nashville to see them. I wouldn't worry about the crowd. You will blend right in. At least everyone there has at least one common interest. Enjoy yourself and try not to be afraid to talk to people around you. You might make a new friend. I was about your age and figured I would be the old guy in the crowd but it ended up being a pretty diverse group.

I'll have to see if they are coming by again, would like to go again.

Edit:

Looks like I missed the nashville show last month. Closest they will be to me is Dallas. Just a bit too far.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've travelled alone, which meant sometimes having to eat by myself whilst others were at tables in groups around me. People might notice that you're alone but they're far too interested in what they're doing to give it more than a second of thought.

In fact at a concert it'll be even less noticeable because there'll be a genuine focus for everyone. Lots of people have interests that their friends aren't interested in, so they have to pursue it alone.

I think you're brave for doing this. It's definitely the right thing to do. After an hour you'll probably find yourself feeling quite comfortable because people won't react to you half as bad as you might think.

Also you're driving to a new city so you'll never see these people again anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm also going to an Evanescence concert alone in November when they come to the UK. I've been to several other concerts alone, including Green Day, Linkin Park and Muse and I'll also be seeing Within Temptation later this year. I didn't even consider not going to see Evanescence because I wasn't going to miss the chance to see my favorite band live.

You may feel awkward when you're waiting in line, but after the doors open and the lights are out, no one will be looking at you and you'll feel much more confortable. I also found some people to talk to at the Linkin Park concert because they were standing behind me talking about all the other concerts they had been to. Since I had been to some of the same concerts I joined in the conversation and it didn't feel awkward.

Try joining the EvThreads forum and maybe make some friends on there who are going to the same concert. I think Evanescence fans are quite friendly.

Off-topic : Have you heard the new album? I think it's their best yet and it's going to be so good live.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
Evanescence has been my favourite band since 2003. I'm really jealous that you have the chance to go to their concert. They aren't planning close enough to me on this current tour for me to see them this time round.

Their album is the heaviest yet, I'm sure its gonna be kickass live. Alone or not - I think you should go.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I've been listening to them for 10 years and never seen them live before. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with their music but I listen to them significantly more than other bands. They finally announced a new tour, but they're skipping Houston. So I'm driving to San Antonio to see them.

I'm very weirded out by the whole idea. Just the thought of me being by myself around people who are probably in groups give me anxiety.

Anyone been in a similar situation before? Any tips?
I am in San Antonio, when where, por favor? Love Ev, my ex got me hooked.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd like to see them too, when they come here to the UK. I'm trying to get someone to go with me, trouble is she has depression & anxiety too. I want her to have something to look forward to, and I don't want her to miss a chance to see them because she is afraid to go, but she seems reluctant. I can go to a WWE show with other friends anyway if she says no, since they are on the same day, but my love of music is probably slightly more than my love of wrestling....Sorry, "Sports Entertainment." Plus I went to a WWE show last year and this is the first time these guys have toured in years.

But I think you'll be fine going alone. I've been to a few shows over the past year or so, most people seem wrapped up in their own thing anyway so they won't notice you. In fact when I went to see Guns N' Roses last year, my friends and I were sat next to someone who was on his own. Nobody thought it was strange at all. Once you're in the arena and have your spot/seat, it'll be fine. And once the show starts it'll be all eyes on the stage anyway.

And like others have said, if people want to talk to you they'll probably break the ice with talk about Evanescence. I assume their new album will be out by the time you see the show, you can talk about that. Favourite track, differences compared to their previous albums, that kind of thing.

If anyone asks, I don't think it'll be weird to say you are by yourself. Or you could just tell them you wanted to bring people but nobody you know is as into the band as you are, but you sure as hell didn't want to miss seeing them. I missed seeing Linkin Park last year because I couldn't find anyone to go with, still regret it.

So yeah, try and go, at least you won't have to regret missing the chance to see them then. :)

·
Retired Bingo Cook
11,401 Posts
I have wanted to see them live forever. You have to go. Amy Lee is so beautiful and great singer.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Dude, you're seeing Evanescence. Just think about how awesome it will be, and you'll be fine. And once they start playing, I garentee you will forget about the anxiety. Their coming to Boston later in October, but I probably won't be ably to go.:( So have fun for yourself, and for me :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts