Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished my first semester at a community college. i got a letter in the mail inviting me to take honors classes because i had a high gpa. the only thing is that the classes ive taken have all been online, not in a classroom. to do the honors program i have to go to campus. so what is a college classroom like? i know your supposed to participate but can you still recieve a high grade if you dont participate? how do/did you participate? Im not worried about doing classwork or anything just participating in discussions and presentations.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Depends on what country you're in and what course your doing. In my biology course everyone is just sat in the lecture theatre while the lecturer drones on and no one has to do anything, in my computer science course we were supposed to work on stuff in small groups in a few lectures, though none of this stuff was ever handed in and you could just doss, anything done in lectures wasn't marked. All the marks come from coursework and exams.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used to have this problem. I go to an art school where most of my classes are basically 4 hour long critique sessions. Everyone is expected to participate several times with their opinions on their classmates work. It was pretty awful.

I am currently a junior. My freshman year I never ever participated, and many of my professors confronted me about this, and of course did not understand that I just COULDN'T say anything.

I suggest you take advantage of the honors program. It will be really good for you-- hard at first, but then you'll get used to it. Maybe, if possible talk (or, e-mail) your professor beforehand to explain why you may not participate as much as you would like to. What I found really helped last semester is one of my professors had an online forum where students could post to instead of talking in class.

In my regular humanities classes, it seemed like no one was willing to participate anyway.. due to apathy/not having done the assignment rather than anxiety. You won't be singled out for not participating if you choose not to. The professor will probably just call on someone out of the blue. This, for me at least, is a lot easier as you just have to answer a question rather than say something unprompted. People will be listening to you already instead of you having to get their attention.

Worst case scenario-- you don't participate at all. It won't affect your grade that much. An A should still be attainable.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Depends on the university and course whether much participation is required. Courses held in large lecture halls (frosh classes) usually require no class participation unless there's a discussion group involved. Otherwise, classes are like high school with anywhere between 20-30 students. Pretty much all of my classes required presentations and class participation with final grade weighting between 10% and 50%. I'd do a little research beforehand if you're concerned. Many professors have previous semesters' syllabi online somewhere. But I'd give it a go if you're really interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts