Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would avoid a psychiatrist. They will listen to your whining, tell you what you want to hear, and rob you of your money. Overcoming SA is really something you have to do on your own. You have to read, learn, branch out, discover and grow. There will be very little growing done in the office of a psychiatrist. It's not something that can be easily fixed with drugs or a quick change in your thinking. It takes time and effort.

·
thoughts are just thought
1,263 Posts
I would avoid a psychiatrist. They will listen to your whining, tell you what you want to hear, and rob you of your money. Overcoming SA is really something you have to do on your own. You have to read, learn, branch out, discover and grow. There will be very little growing done in the office of a psychiatrist. It's not something that can be easily fixed with drugs or a quick change in your thinking. It takes time and effort.
While sadly TreeOfLife and I have probably had the same psychiatrist, I am not going to agree with him 100%.

if your only issue is SA I would try other things before I see a psychiatrist. There is a whole sticky at the top of this message board with tons of ideas.

If you can't do it on your own then and only then would I see a psychiatrist. However Tree is right, there are some (possibly many) who will just see you as a paycheck. You can never forget that the longer you are sick the more money they make. So it is not really in their best interest for you to get better. Some Doctors (I know from personal experience) will take advantage of the fact that you are SA, assuming you will not complain if they are late for your appointment or when they ask you to leave early. Often my doctor would cut me short because she was behind schedule, so because she has poor planning I get less help... that's assuming she gave any help at all.

I would suggest doing research on a doctor before seeing them, make sure they have experience with helping people overcome SA. When you meet with them the first time ask them what their treatment plan is, and how long it will take. I actually don't care what the plan is or how long it will take but I feel they should be able to give you a clear cut answer. "We will do XYZ and it should take 1 year."

If they give you a touchy feely answer vague answer... be wary, if they sit you down and just expect you to talk about everything under the sun start packing your bag, because they are just looking at you as an way to pay for their new beach house.

But if they seem like they know what their talking about and have steps and plans and goals, maybe it could work.

I had horrible therapist which makes me very untrusting of therapist in general, but I have friends who had great therapist and they helped them out with their issues (I actually saw a positive change in these people) so not all psychiatrist are bad but you have to be careful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.