Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I haven't posted on here in a while but for some reason I'm feeling really nervous about a party I'm going to tomorrow. It's kind of far away because it's at the house of this kid who I'll be going to college with next year, but he'll be the only one I know at the whole party and I don't even know him THAT well. I've been feeling really nervous just thinking about it and it makes me feel like I want to throw up... I get this feeling a lot when thinking about parties or going out with girls and stuff, but I thought I had toned it down a little bit lately but I guess not.

Is there anything I can do to make me not feel that nausea, because it makes me feel like I'm going to vomit and it's really hard to drink with that feeling too because then I actually will throw up... and then it looks like I'm a lightweight and can't even drink a half a beer without throwing up, which is totally untrue haha... Someone recommended taking Dramamine to get rid of the nausea so I might try that, is that a good idea? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't help you with the nausea stuff, but to calm yourself down, think about the party this way: you only know one person there, and the rest you've got a "clean slate" with. If you make a fool of yourself, you'll never see these people again. Try to enjoy yourself, relax and meet a lot of people.

I freakin' hate parties and get the same feeling as you do before going out, which I didn't do often during high school. But try to think of this as an opportunity to meet new people who don't know a thing about you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is I'm not really worried about it or anything, I just feel this way for no reason. Maybe subconsciously I am nervous or something, I don't know, but the thought never crosses my mind to be nervous because I will make a fool of myself or anything like that.

I got some dramamine I was thinking about taking before I drive out there, so if anyone knows if that's a good or bad idea let me know.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
if you are going to be drinking than i don't think Dramamine is a good idea (i hadn't heard of it before but i looked it up and it seems similar to other anti-nausea meds), since it can cause some sedation which could enhance the depressant effects of alcohol. i've also heard of cases where people have gotten really really messed up drinking after an OCT drug like that, someone recently told me about how they had brief but really bad memory loss where they didnt know where they were or who they were with.

i get bad nausea as well. maybe try pepto bismol? i regularly take the tablets. i think they help..
at least just force yourself before hand to have some bread. it might help the nausea and if it doesn't it will help a lot in reducing your changes of puking.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Okay here is what you do, starting right now. When ever a negative thought pops into your head about the party, just stop yourself, say to yourself "ok i don't know whats going to happen and i can know, but i'll be fine, nothing terrible will happen I will live" Something to that effect just keep in mind anything that happends isn't a failure it is ONLY a step in the RIGHT direction, the more you calm yourself and handle situations better you will eventually conquer it. Just don't think about possibilities and what might happen just live in the moment. Try your hardest just to relax AND NOT THINK ABOUT IT. Just think I'm going to a party have a few beers and then i'll be home in a few hrs (or w.e). And just asks people if they know the guy you know, and if they are going to the school your going to. Try to just talk about school if you do talk to someone. Just relax bro you'll do fine.
:yes
LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Just walk in there and be really aloof. Act like you've been to these events 6000 million times before. I can actually count the number of parties I've been to using both hands and every single one of them, I was the life of the party. Of course I never saw any of those people again from any of those parties but certainly it's better to have made history than to not have.....yeah, probably don't take my advice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok well here's what happened and thank you all very much for the advice. i ended up taking the dramamine but it really didn't do much. i think the thing that helped me the most was going over to the kids house before the party really started... it was just me him and one of his friends who he introduced me to, so it wasn't freaking me out or making me nauseous really. we drank a few beers before people came over, and once i get drunk my anxiety and nausea goes away for the most part. so that kinda helped to get acclimated before the party actually began.

anyways, a few guys and a few girls came over first and it was all okay for a little bit but i was feeling really nauseous. then we started playing beer pong and halfway thru the game i had to walk over to the bathroom and i vomited (it was all beer though, i didn't eat anything before. it was a nauseous vomit not from drinking because i had only drink like 2 beers by this point... ugh) At least I got it out of the way early... I was just hoping it wouldn't happen again later once more people came over. LUckily for me I drank some more and was fine after throwing up. I ended up having a great time actually and even. I started to sober up a little later and the feeling came back but for the most part after throwing up it was ok.

i just wish i wouldn't have that problem at all. i got lucky because i threw up before anybody was really there. i guess the trick is to just get drunk early and quick... but i still wish it wouldn't even be a problem.

i'll try pepto next time or something like that. i used to cut myself and i've waned myself off of it so now i have a few rubber bands around my wrist that i've just been snapping whenever i get depressed and want to cut. i've been snapping them whenever i feel the nausea too and it's been somewhat effective.

thanks for the concern though guys. i'm sure i'll be around these forums more often now because i want to see if i can help myself before i go off to college for the first time. i don't want anyone to think i'm a freak.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Next time take a ginger vitamin. I saw on the food network that taking a ginger vitamin before going on a roller coaster ride prevents nervousness or getting sick.

·
Registered
121 Posts
go in there be like hey! and pull down ur pants.dont really do that i was just brainstorming.seriously,i know its hard but dont worry bout it,dont try to force it just relax.most people dont really have good social skills,just talk bout wut they talk bout.or just watch em with the intention of understanding they aint waiting to judge each other or u,their tryin to have fun and thats wut u should do.some advice for others who r nervous bout a party

1 - 9 of 9 Posts