Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I use to once in awhile when I am really bored when I was living in a place where it was literally just across from a movie theater. But I would always try to go in the off nights because I don't want to look self conscious of being seen alone.

The reality is, most employees wouldn't even care to pay attention if you're buying one ticket or not as they would be too focus on their jobs and the routine of serving the next person in line. And even buying one ticket for yourself doesn't mean you're alone. Often times I would buy one ticket for myself when I am meeting up with people inside the theater in the last minute. And I guess now, most theaters have machines where you can order yourself without going through employees.

I usually don't pay attention to lone movie goers myself. When I do notice them, I barely pay any mind to them. Probably just someone who really wants to watch a movie, but have no one to go with.

1600 :yay

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Because no one else in my family wanted to see Mad Max: Fury Road I decided to go alone. I got a little paranoid that people were looking at me from behind but while the movie was playing I didn't give it much thought.

I want to see The Martian and Sicario in the next couple of weeks but again it looks like I'll be on my own. The last movie I saw in the theater was Inside Out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have went to see probably a half dozen movies alone their is nothing wrong with it. If you are feeling down or shy catch a buzz first and then go that's even more enjoyable. I absolutely love movies I couldn't care less if I have someone to go with or not, sadly the nearest theater is 1.5 hours away. I might go make it a double header, and watch two in a row.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i truly believe seeing a good film by yourself at a cinema should be on everyone's bucket list to do
preferably during non peak hours less people and its cheaper

·
Deep listener
145 Posts
No, you are not the only one whjo goes alone at the cinema. I also go by myself. I often don't have anyone to go with. If I really want to see a movie, I prefer going by myself than not going at all. Yes, I feel a bit strange when I buy a single ticket, but I got used to this.

·
moth
1,264 Posts
I LOVE it! I get to choose the film and the time and place. I have many small cinemas in my neighbourhood, within a walking distance of 1 km. I'm not the only one who does this, many people go to these cinemas alone. Okay, maybe not as young as I, but they do.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I never really get why going to a cinema is a sociable event anyway, you're in a dark room sitting in silence watching a film for a couple of hours. That doesn't sound social to me.

Saying that I did go once on my own years ago and I did felt awkward, but once I sat down and saw other people on their own I relaxed a bit.

·
SAS Member
889 Posts
I don't understand why people think it's sad or pathetic to go see a movie alone. You're just sitting in the cinema watching a movie.

I usually go to the movies with a friend (basically my only friend), but if there is a movie I want to see that I know she doesn't want to see then I would go by myself.

That being said I usually go during non-peak times. I would feel anxious going on a Friday night or at night during the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I use to go to the movies frequently alone a long time ago in the off weekday evenings when I use to live right across a movie theater out of boredom. This was way before video streaming was a thing. Nowadays, I very seldom go to the movies. For the most part it's because I rarely have anyone to go with, and video streaming and with how quick most movies gets released there, it's rather discouraging for me to want to go to the movies alone now. And the biggest reason obviously now is with covid.

·
bipolar
17,423 Posts
I love going alone. No-one to hassle me or anything - although I must say I sometimes want to ask the other people there what they thought of the movie. That's probably just me though. (quite a few things are)

Haven't done it for quite a while - with Covid and the streaming services etc. I used to mostly go when it was reasonably quiet anyway. Often there were just a few people there, no big deal. It's a lot better than sitting there with people all over you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I go to the cinema quite often, with friends and on my own. Sometimes I'll go watch the same film a second time on my own if my friends want to watch it dubbed. Nobody cares if you're alone unless you run into acquaintances.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have gone to the cinema by myself a couple of times. Actually the first time I went to the same cinema as my friends but went to a different screen and watched a different film because I had already seen the one they wanted to watch. The film I ended up watching by myself was called Lion and I am glad that I did because it was about a young kid who gets separated from his family in India at a train station, ends up getting adopted, and 25 years later manages to track down his birth mother in India and have a reunion. It was incredibly moving at the end and I was in floods of tears. Never been that powerfully affected by a film-before or since. Tried to explain to my friends afterwards but they just laughed it off. Felt a little lonely after that I have to say.

The other time I went to a lovely little cinema in Bruges called Lumiere Cinema. It was ace because I was abroad by myself so the odds of meeting someone I knew were astronomical and I was able to relax and enjoy the show. The film I watched on that occasion was Birdman and I enjoyed it. The flying scenes looked really cool on the big screen. Also it was the first time I had watched a film that was in English but with foreign (to me) subtitles rather than the other way round.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do this all the time. I have to talk to people all day everyday so its so nice to just go to a movie and not have anyone bug me... plus the popcorn is the bestttt!

·
Super Moderator
35,387 Posts
I used to do it when I was a teenager but one time I went to a movie on a Saturday night (I think) at the local mall and got attacked by a group of guys on my way from the movie section to the mall doors and got beaten up pretty bad. I managed to get away after a few punches and kicks and ran by *** off or it would have probably been a lot worse. I just barely made it. Was right outside the doors when one of them caught up to me and grabbed the back of my jacket. Thankfully, the mall cops saw what was happening and came out. I never really felt safe going there alone after that.

·
alien monk
8,750 Posts
a bit off topic, but I wouldnt want to give my money to Hollywood ever. I just download my entertainment. growing up, we barely went to the cinema at all, so I dont feel any kind of enchantment or nostalgia value in it. when I spend money on unnecessary things I try to make it something that's really reusable. I guess I understand the emotional attachment. but popcorn gets stuck in my teeth and I cant really handle stuff getting stuck in my teeth.

·
(.*?)
6,823 Posts
I only go to a couple movies a year, but I go alone almost all the time. The only times I didn't go alone (as an adult) were when I made it a meetup for my social anxiety group, and that was certainly far more awkward than going alone. Going when other people want to is unpleasant because then you end up with a crowded room and lots of chewing noises and somebody talking and it's just hard to feel absorbed by the movie anymore. Plus more traffic on your way there and back. The only reason to do it is if you want to talk to people before/after the movie and you need the movie as an excuse to convince them to see you.

My favorite time to catch a movie is around 10 PM on a Tuesday. That way I get the discounted $5 tickets, yet there's very few people there, and no traffic. There's a special sort of serenity to being one of the last people out of the theater when the concessions are closed and the world is silent.

·
Super Moderator
35,387 Posts
Has anyone ever been in a crowded movie theater and thought they smelled a fart and couldn't tell if it was a fart or popcorn? :LOL:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts