Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always loved going to the cinema as i think a big screen is the best way to watch any move, when i was young, i used to go with my family since i had no friends, but as i grew up, my family either lost interest in movies or just went with their friends so i stopped going but never stopped wanting to go to a cinema, anyway, in my first year of college, i decided to say to hell with it and started going to the cinema by myself, at first, the employees acted strangely when i asked for only one ticket(which just reminded me i was a friendless loner who has no one to accompany him to the cinema) but nowadays they do not even care.
Anyway, even if always reminds me in some way that i am friendless, i love going to the cinema, there is just something wonderful about sitting in a dark room with a glowing giant screen, watching a good or bad movie while eating popcorn that i do not have to share that makes me go to the cinema every weekend even when there is no movie that i think will be good.
So i was wondering, am i the only who goes to the cinema by himself?

·
Back from Deployment!!
286 Posts
Going to watch a film by yourself is great. You don't have people trying to talk to you or make comments about the movie so you can focus 100% of your attention on the movie. To be frank, I usually prefer going to see them by myself.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ɹǝq&#6
1,866 Posts
I've never done this but it's something I want to do as soon as I start driving. Seems like a good way to get out of the house. Might make me feel better about myself to at least start being around others more.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I do this every week bro. Much better than going with my family, thats for sure. And i've went to the movies with my friends, and i actually prefer going alone, friends (family also) can be distracting and sometimes annoying when they have a different taste of films and complain about the movie you actually liked.

·
sewn to the sky
502 Posts
I used to do this all the time. The best time to go is during the weekday matinee, when it's just you, the screen, and the intermittent puff of an elderly man's oxygen tank in the dark. :popcorn

·
I Am Second
58,104 Posts
I went alone once to see the 3rd Harry Potter movie. There was like 5 people totally in there. This was like a month after it came out. I had the whole upper seats to myself. It was kinda scary though when the lights went out. I would never go to a packed movie alone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I go alone on Tuesday's since it's only $5...and there's no one during the afternoon or morning. I go on the public bus so I had to worry about that as well. It's actually really nice, better than what I expected. I was a little scared at first but it ended up alright. ^-^

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I've seen plenty by myself, and I almost always see at least one person doing the same thing whenever I go. I think it's normal in big cities.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was feeling particularly low back when Terminator Genisys came out, and as a big fan of the series I decided to go watch it by myself, something I've never done before. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the film so much and actually started to feel somewhat bored half way through, when I left I felt incredibly lonely and depressed. Not something I'd like to do again, just in case it makes me feel crappy. Though I've been tempted with The Martian. I wish I had someone to go see it with.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i only did that once but i really loved it. it feels good when you can feel absolutely free to cry or react however you want. i think i'm gonna do that again whenever i get money.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't understand why going to the movies alone is so frowned upon in society. Socializing in the middle of the movie is rude & distracting to the others trying to watch. What difference does it make if you are watching it alone vs with someone next to us when we we're just going to sit there quietly anyway?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't understand why going to the movies alone is so frowned upon in society. Socializing in the middle of the movie is rude & distracting to the others trying to watch. What difference does it make if you are watching it alone vs with someone next to us when we we're just going to sit there quietly anyway?
I think it is because most people who go to the movies go in a group or pairs.
Hell, when i first started going to the movies alone, i could tell that the employees thought it was strange although they got used to it, i experienced it again a few weeks ago when i went to see Irrational Man and there was a new employee who was obviously not told about me and she had a lot of trouble accepting the fact that i only wanted one ticket, even asking me a couple of times if i was sure, i could tell she had a hard time believing someone could go to the movies alone.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think it is because most people who go to the movies go in a group or pairs.
Hell, when i first started going to the movies alone, i could tell that the employees thought it was strange although they got used to it, i experienced it again a few weeks ago when i went to see Irrational Man and there was a new employee who was obviously not told about me and she had a lot of trouble accepting the fact that i only wanted one ticket, even asking me a couple of times if i was sure, i could tell she had a hard time believing someone could go to the movies alone.
Yea I agree that's what the current trend is, but I just feel like it's silly that going to movies alone is looked so down upon. I would think going out to eat alone is more bizarre, and yet I see quite a few people do it (particularly during lunch at more fast-food like places).

·
Away From The Pulsebeat
2,537 Posts
It's so people can have someone to look down upon.

·
Winter Is Here
3,846 Posts
I've never done it. I might sound normie, but going to cinema and commenting the movie after is a whole social event for me (well, since I have no friends lately I've gone with my siblings and their friends). It's like going to the amusement park. I'll never spend money to go to watch a movie alone, while I can just wait a few months and download it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wish I were brave enough to do this! I really want to see a movie (the Visit...) before it goes out of theaters and even resorted to asking someone I haven't talked to (except once recently) for MONTHS to go with me, because she said she "would love to reconnect." Surprisingly enough she waited a day and a half to respond, which is answer enough for me.

So I guess I won't go at all...or I'll go with my mom. And I'm 19. Pathetic, eh? :(

·
Use private messages.
1,689 Posts
I can never bring myself to go out and do things like this by myself. It just makes me feel more lonely and pathetic. I got two free movie tickets from work a year ago. They're still in my truck.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Well I've only done it a couple of times,mainly because I live in a fairly small town and the cinema only really shows Hollywood Blockbusters,not the movies I'm really interested in seeing...

·
Sigh.
9,313 Posts
I've never gone alone. I will say, with next year having 10 dead-sure movies that I want to see, me thinks that the company I take may become busy on at least one of those occasions. So it'd be initiative to finally go see a movie alone. Because I seriously don't want to miss one.

FOX's Deadpool, X-Men: Apocalypse, and Gambit.
Disney's/MCU's Captain America: Civil War and Doctor Strange.
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.
Underworld: The Next Generation.
Star Wars: Rogue One.
DCCU's/WB's Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad.

I've never done it. I might sound normie, but going to cinema and commenting the movie after is a whole social event for me (well, since I have no friends lately I've gone with my siblings and their friends). It's like going to the amusement park. I'll never spend money to go to watch a movie alone, while I can just wait a few months and download it. Just my opinion.
I get what you mean. I only go to movies with my brother or dad nowadays, but enjoy the conversation after the movie. Even if it's bad, it can be a fun convo.

Maybe we should have a SAS Theatre Gathering. Eh?

·
Banned
7,263 Posts
Depends how old you are. If you're young, it looks very weird to go alone. I'd wait till 25+ at least. Just my opinion if you don't want weird looks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts