Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A roommate of mine invited me to come to the bar along with his friends. I turned 19 two weeks ago so I'm legal age. But, I don't drink, I have no interest in bars, have never been to a bar, and my anxiety levels are always through the roof. and this isn't the first time I've been asked to go. Last year when I lived on campus, I refused the first time and a couple more times and they assumed I was anti-social. So I am thinking of some way to ditch, instead of outright refusing to go. Need some advice.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Do you really have no interest in bars, or are you just avoiding it because of anxiety? If you really have no interest, then say so, there's no problem with that. If its anxiety about not being a drinker, then forget it. I've been both 100% sober and a borderline drunk and I can tell you, the only people who care about someone not drinking are the non-drinkers. Well, the socially anxious ones at least.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
You should just go to the bar once to see what it's all about. You may have no interest in it but it may turn out to be fun.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Maybe ask your friends if you can go to a place that has pool tables or something similar. That way you can do something while drinking or while they're drinking.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A roommate of mine invited me to come to the bar along with his friends. I turned 19 two weeks ago so I'm legal age. But, I don't drink, I have no interest in bars, have never been to a bar, and my anxiety levels are always through the roof. and this isn't the first time I've been asked to go. Last year when I lived on campus, I refused the first time and a couple more times and they assumed I was anti-social. So I am thinking of some way to ditch, instead of outright refusing to go. Need some advice.
If I could turn the clock back to when I was 17-18, that's the sort of dilemma that I would have posted here. The way it worked out for me was that after a while the invitations dried up completely so while all the "cool" people were hanging out, cementing their friendships and getting into relationships, I was at home on my own. I've still never been in a bar and I still don't drink. Oh, and I still don't get invited out anywhere because I eventually lost contact with all those people. Mind you, even if I had gone to a bar with them, I'd probably have been thrown out because I looked like a 14 year old when I was 18, even with a mustache. :b

1 - 8 of 8 Posts