Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to try going outside for a walk again once a week but if i do, i don’t want to look weird.
It would look weird if i went for a walk then came back home again.

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
980 Posts
I'm not sure why it would look weird? Lots of people take walks just for sake of taking a walk, at least around here.

·
alien monk
8,500 Posts
walks are quite good for me. often just dont feel up to it though. but yeah it's normal, not weird. it does feel weird sometimes, like all the passing cars are looking at me, but I start to ignore them after a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I understand what you mean by it feeling weird because you're probably used to not going out, that used to be me and honestly I still get anxious about it at times. But when am out with nature feeling the sun on my skin, the breeze, that moment of feeling happy and free I forget about life and my worries. Walking and exercising in general help boost your mood, and what better way to boost your health and work on your social anxiety by going out and walking in a park full of ppl. You can still go when there's not too many ppl though like in the mornings so it won't be so overwhelming at first but trust me after a while you'll get more comfortable and confident and then you can start going during times when there's more ppl.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I would like to try going outside for a walk again once a week but if i do, i don’t want to look weird.
It would look weird if i went for a walk then came back home again.
Whilst I agree with other posters that simply nobody is going to notice or care if you do a routine walk once a week (well, anyone who does notice probably has too much time on their hands), I did notice something about your post. Basically, it's that you've asserted that walking once a week would look weird, instead of querying it.

I definitely don't think it was intentional. The brain however sometimes loves to be counter-productive. I've found that it is more difficult for someone to overcome a negative obstacle if they frame it as a matter of fact instead of an opinion. You'll also be holding a position for which you'll (subconsciously) be less inclined to be proved wrong - and now may even feel inclined to defend you're viewpoint, since we're all now basically saying you are wrong (as opposed to just providing answers to a question, because there is no question).

Basing on my own experience, you may find it very beneficial reframing these "opinions" as just that - opinions and so being open to the fact that the opinion may not be true. Because you're practice confidence, I'm guessing you'll be planning on working on other areas of your life. If you'd like to take this advice onwards, it may hopefully help you overcome barriers you didn't think could be overcome.

But yes - I hope you do go for walks. Feel free to ask us for advice on this walk strategy (to make it more effective).

·
Super Moderator
33,905 Posts
It might look weird in some neighborhoods. My neighborhood, for example, is a place where nobody really does that. If people have someplace to do, they drive. You only really see people if they're taking out the trash, going to or from their car or getting their mail.

I'd recommend going somewhere where it is done so you don't feel too self-conscious. I haven't been to a shopping mall in ages and I guess there is/was a stereotype about older people walking in shopping malls but I used to go to the malls and walk for hours just to be doing something. I'd also browse the stores too while there so I guess maybe it didn't attract too much attention. Other than a 20 year old walking leisurely through the mall on a work day.

·
Loathed Loiterer
7,984 Posts
I guess for people with SA, they feel the paranoia and insecurity that if you're not going out for a solid purpose, such as an errand or socializing, it will be deemed weird. Simply going out to take a walk for the simple sake of taking a walk, they will feel it's weird, especially if they're being seen and fear of being judged so. In reality though, most people will not pay attention to a random person walking around. Because normally, people are just too focused on themselves and what they're doing themselves.

I walk or run outside alone most days with my dog. I see countless people doing the same, for exercise. It will be great for your physical, mental health and will also do good in exposure therapy in your case. No one will pay attention to you and judging you for being weird, but yourself (if you choose to do so).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've done that too. Trying to do things normal people do everyday with ease. To be honest, I feel like I have a big sign painted on me that says. " Weird guy that rarely leaves his house is going out for a walk." I don't know. No one really cares. But you just feel like everyone is watching you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gets hot here too. I’m with you on the self conscious thing. And besides. My legs are so white now that they look like they belong to Count Dracula.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, these are all good points, but i should have said, if i am walking alone?
I would look weird walking by-myself because other people go for walks with others in my neighbourhood and the neighbours might wonder why i am walking alone…:/

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a hard time going out for walks too. I just forced myself today because the alternative, being inside with my anxiety, was worse than going out. I feel like people are staring at me when I go out. Hopefully, it will get better if I keep doing it consistently. I hope you find a way to get out there. Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts