Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am 37. Married to a wonderful man for 8 years and have a 16 year old stepdaughter. I have felt different my entire life. I always thought that everyone worried as much as I did - about everything! I have overcome a LOT of my fears, but I am currently having a hard time at work. I am a special education teacher who is afraid of the parents of the students I work with. I am trying to figure out why I have panic attacks while trying to do my paperwork. I stutter, stammer, and turn bright red when I try to talk to them. Makes me feel so stupid and ashamed. I have an appointment in a week to talk to my Dr. about my anxiety. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Hi AG. Welcome to

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

Hi

I'm guessing you have a lack of confidence about your work(I'm also guessing you are a super teacher) and are afraid to be second guessed by the parents.

Some ideas
1.Manage the expectations of the parents. Make sure they are realistic.
2.Know something concrete and positive about each student and lead with it when you meet each parent
3.Explain your approach to all the students so the parents know your work method and how diligent you are.
4.Make a list of all the possible imaginary generic questions parents may have and prepare 'stock' responses.

I was a chess teacher before and dealt with many anxious chess parents. Most just want to know you're doing your best and their kid is not being ignored or lost in the shuffle. I had a stockpile of chess stories about kids and their progress, how the parents could help at home etc. I also cautioned them about indirectly pressuring their kids with 'too-much-parenting'. This seemed to keep them happy.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
389 Posts
Welocome! WOW! I can totally relate to everything you wrote. I am married, two teenage boys and am a special education teacher! Until a few weeks ago, I too thought everyone had anxiety. I just began seeing a therapist-who is very helpful, and have an upcoming appointment with a psychaitrist for possible meds to help with the anxiety.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey anxiety gurl welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very interesting! :cool: So happy to find a kindred spirit! I have an appointment with my GP in a week, so hopefully I will find some relief soon! Glad to meet you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I feel like I'm in the same boat. Except opposite. I'm a first year university studet whos afraid to talk to her teachers. sometimes even the thought of approaching someone in authority makes me cry. This makes it very difficult to get clarification.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This anxiety stuff really sucks! I was afraid of a few of my professors too. It is so hard to ask for help when you are scared too! Just know that some of us are just as scared of you! :cool:

199 Posts
hello and welcome!

i remember feeling relieved when i found this site...i know what you mean about freaking out about paperwork. i still do that, haha.

it is good that you're going to see your doctor, try to be very honest with him/her. don't sugarcoat anything, is my advice.

good luck! :D

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, AnxietyGurl! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts