Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I found this site just killing time and procrastinating the presentation I have to present tomorrow to 45 people for my job. It's only 10 minutes but its graded; voice pitch, eye contact, content, etc. You would think by now that this would be easy for me since I've done this over 100 times from college thru officer training for the military and so on... Therapy tried to help on a multitude of occasions (at least 13 different doctors). They always say, "practice, positive thoughts, picture yourself going through the entire briefing":... Thanks, but it doesn't help.

It totally consumes me. Nothing tastes good, no cravings for food, sex, anything really. All I think about is getting thru this presentation. I have dabbled in xantax and bystolic (beta-blocker) which seems to help with the cracking of the voice. My speeches are never smooth or fluid, like having a conversation. It's more like chunks of words spit out all at once. My brain doesn't think fluidly, it freezes and blanks out. Once I'm done, its anticlimactic. I always say, "that wasn't bad". Then when I have to do it again, the cycle starts over. I would most closely relate it to the fainting goats. When a goat gets scared they literally freeze and fall over. The whole flight of fight syndrome, I believe. I think its a combination of a chemical imbalance and nature vs. nurture. My family has a history of mental issues, including depression.

But this is what I say: I will not let you beat me anxiety! I will go and present. I will stand up to you, if its the last thing I do. I have read many of Malcolm Gladwell books. One chapter in particular, (David and Goliath) he mentions the power of having to overcome personal issues to make you stronger. I agree. It just sucks. Xanax can only chill me out so much. I don't want to become addicted to it!

That is enough for now, but for anyone who suffers from speaking in front of large groups of people, you are not alone. There are many people who are scared to death to do it. I mean, they would rather die then speak in front of large audiences. Get help! It's a combination of therapy, prescribed drugs, spirituality, exercise, etc.

You are not alone!

Sincerely,
Perseverance (The ability to overcome)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome...

It's not easy, but the anxiety IS a part of me. I sometimes use it to my advantage. When I get stressed about something, I've noticed that jumping right into the issue, and resolving it as soon as possible to get It off my plate helps...

But don't let the positive attitude I preach above fool you, its almost like I'm trying to fool myself. Who am I kidding, I'm ****ed up!

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Thanks for the welcome...

It's not easy, but the anxiety IS a part of me. I sometimes use it to my advantage. When I get stressed about something, I've noticed that jumping right into the issue, and resolving it as soon as possible to get It off my plate helps...

But don't let the positive attitude I preach above fool you, its almost like I'm trying to fool myself. Who am I kidding, I'm ****ed up!
Golf4Life,

Positive thinking has to be reinforced.

Welcome to SAS! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts