Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im asking this because i went to a social anxiety support group and i met this really nice girl who im guessing also has sa. we talked pretty much throughout the whole session and you would have never guessed either of us had sa. anyway, i dont want to get ahead of myself, but its been a while since a met a really cool girl that i get along with and who knows maybe one day i can ask her out or something. so i guess my question is would you ever date a guy you met at a support group or if you just knew he had sa.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My own SA is what may prevent me. I doubt many people here would reject someone based on SA. Do you feel more awkward in the situation because the basis of your meeting was a focus on SA? One time I went to a meetup for people with SA and I was interested in a guy there but I was too worried that if I indicated any interest that it would make him feel socially anxious. I thought if he wanted to reject me it may be so much pressure on him because maybe he would feel anxious having to reject someone. So I decided it was best not to show interest, which it was in my case because I don't think I'm in any position myself to go down that road. In hindsight I don't think he seems that great or anything so I did the right thing in my case.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Oui. :) If I had a job, I would. The main thing would be that we would have to support each other in our goals to get better and not see the fact that we both have SA as a crutch to not improve our lives.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Personally, I'd find a guy with SA to be a plus. I think it would make me feel more comfortable knowing that he understands the fears that run my life. It would be more difficult being with someone who would be easily annoyed with my isolation, or if they felt my SA was just something to "get over".

Though, I myself have pretty much given up on guys. :um

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well yeah, of course I would. I would much rather date a guy who has SA than one who doesn't have SA. Things would just be easier that way. For the most part.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I wouldn't mind it. I mean, I have it myself, so of course I wouldn't mind. In fact, I think I would feel more comfortable dating a guy with SA, because then I would have something more in common with him.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
for sure.
in your situation it sounds like even from first meeting each other SA didn't come in way of you guys talking so that is really good for two SAers meeting and a good sign, so i would not worry about her not dating you because of SA. you should definitely keep contact with her or ask her out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Personally, I'd find a guy with SA to be a plus. I think it would make me feel more comfortable knowing that he understands the fears that run my life. It would be more difficult being with someone who would be easily annoyed with my isolation, or if they felt my SA was just something to "get over".

Though, I myself have pretty much given up on guys. :um
thanks everyone, thats good to know. oh and dont give up on guys there are some really good ones out there, sometimes you just have to look a little harder :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would but not if he was very negative about everything... I wouldn't want someone to bring me down further than I can bring myself sometimes. Sometimes you need someone around you who is a little different to challenge your views and challenge you to get out there. Though it would be very nice to have someone know exactly what you meant when you explained your anxiety and inability to do some things...

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
Yeah, I would. I know a woman who doesn't have SA and is totally gorgeous, and she is actually married to a man with SA. So take heart, everyone. It is possible.

·
Registered
364 Posts
This gives me hope, any girls in denver area send me a pm

1 - 20 of 56 Posts