Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This girl i've been seeing at my work for some time who's just, GORGEOUS, finally gave me a # i can reach her at outside of work. Of course, i'm nervous as all heck about calling her, but hey it's a triumph. I'm pretty good at hiding my insecurity (usually by playing the role of the slightly mean, unafraid to throw a jab here n there type... which was what i kinda think got her interest in me), so i played it cool by acting all normal n routine-like when i wrote her number.. of course it wasn't completely dishonest as racing in my mind was the fear of the next step, CALLING her. In fact this was already on wednesday but it's just now donning on me "whoa, i got this girl's number!". I wanna post the full story on this as i still have many questions on whether or not she's really into me, etc. But man am i glad i achieved this, as this girl stands out to me from miles away, she's not just some good-looking chick, this one has a special appeal to ME for some reason. I'm still working on the courage to call part...

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Don't wait too long... I gave my number to a guy two weeks ago and he hasn't called (yet acted very interested) so I have already written him off... by day three it stings like - 'he is so not into you' -- and then you start to let go and accept that you were stupid to ever give them the number. Trust me - we don't give out our numbers if we don't want the guy to call - and we definitely wouldn't give out our number if we weren't interested. Call Her.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't wait too long... I gave my number to a guy two weeks ago and he hasn't called (yet acted very interested) so I have already written him off... by day three it stings like - 'he is so not into you' -- and then you start to let go and accept that you were stupid to ever give them the number. Trust me - we don't give out our numbers if we don't want the guy to call - and we definitely wouldn't give out our number if we weren't interested. Call Her.
Working on that. But hey you got the same disorder i got so you know how it is. I pick up the phone and it's an increase in heart rate, breathing becomes more difficult, self-consciousness goes up 100%, i'm afraid i'll end up sounding like one of the mentally retarded types she works with (hence my first jab at her, "oh finally found a workplace you fit into huh?"). I've briefly mentioned the s.a.d. thing to her but i got the same disinterest i get from everyone i reveal it to. Day three huh? Wow so i've already got her stinging a lil bit. Nice guy i am, huh? Boy i hate having s.a.d., anyone else would just... call.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I said that was me... not her.... I was trying to be encouraging... not making you feel bad - sorry.

If this guy were to call me and all he said was, 'Hi,' I would be ecstatic. I wouldn't care what else he said - he would have called.

Yes, you are right - having SA sucks... it is why I haven't been back in this guys restaurant since I gave him my number - but I am going back in there tomorrow so that he knows I haven't given up and that he still has the chance.

You description of how you feel picking up the phone --- I could have written that about how I felt when I handed him the note with my number - I was so freaked out all I could do what turn around and leave - FAST. Once I was gone I was like, 'YES, I did it.' It felt good - like I had overcome something and taken a chance.

The 'disinterest' you received about mentioning s.a.d. may have been from her not knowing how to respond or what to say - not true disinterest.

Stinging could be a good thing I guess - it will make it all the more intense when you do call her. Like playing hard to get, making her wonder... I guess. You will be o.k. - just try to work up the nerve to call - start with, 'Hi'... worst case --- 'hey, can I call you back someone's at the door' works great.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
That's great, good luck!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Sweet! That sounds awesome. If you need a good way to call her, do what I do. I HATE the phone so calling anyone for anything is always a struggle. But to make sure you do it, make a plan to call at sometime in the near future (tomorrow at 3), and when that time comes, pick up the phone, and DO NOT put it down until you made the call. Seriously, it sucks, but it works.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I tried calling her twice last night actually and got no answer, and as usual left no voice mail. Of course, my s.a.-ridden mind keeps worrying that maybe since it's been this long she's no longer interested in talking to me (i did already call her shortly after she gave me the # to make sure it's the right one, so she HAS my # on her phone). But this is NOT the kind've mentality i want to seep through in conversation. But i will probably put your plan to use and again try calling her later today, my fear is it might be too soon since just last night but i hope that's just my irrational s.a. talking as well.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
That rocks... that you called... even if you got no answer. I don't think it is too soon - JMHO. Keep trying. Way to go... I'm so excited for you.

·
Still Running
387 Posts
This girl i've been seeing at my work for some time who's just, GORGEOUS, finally gave me a # i can reach her at outside of work.
I think to be fair you should pass her number around for the rest of us lonely guys?!!
:clap

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so i just called. Started with "'hello?' 'hey.' 'hello?' 'uh, hello'" n then we talked about a meeting i told her i was studying for like a couple minutes before her phone hung up. I instantly gotta call back from her telling me the reception's not so great in her office n asked me if she could call me back later, i wanted to say "yeah i was about to say how dare you hang up on me, what's wrong with you?" but didn't get a chance. We talked about 30 seconds longer about the meeting (she kept asking ?'s) n then asked me again if she could call back later as she was leaving the office soon, again i said sure. The question is will she call back? As of now i'm a lil self-conscious about the tone of voice i used, thinking like it sounded like i was busy even though i called her, etc. But we'll see what happens. I'm trying to take it more lightly, so i don't come across as too tense not to mention be able to handle it better if things don't work out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts