Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know what it is but when a guy approaches me I either just go into a fit of giggles or sometimes I just unleash the bad vibes and become mute. I rather I scare/push away guys than turn into mush.

Yesterday some really hot guy came up to me at work to introduce himself and he grabbed my hand tightly and started talking to me. I was so shocked by his actions that I kinda freaked out. I somehow found everything funny and giggled at the most random times. I lost all control of myself and just giggled and giggled and giggled. Ugh I know I did it out of sheer nervousness but it doesn’t stop me from being mortified afterwards. Now I am totally embarrassed and he probably thinks I’m nuts. Now I have to avoid him :no .

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
I definitely have this problem, especially around guys I find attractive. I tense up and literally can't speak, so I just end up laughing a lot, usually at something completely inappropriate. Then I end up going to extreme lengths to avoid that person. It must look ridiculous from the other person's point of view :roll

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the same problem. But it isn't really around cute guys...it's around everyone. I find that, whenever I'm stuck in an awkward situation, my gut instinct is to laugh. And, whenever I try not to laugh, I just laugh more! Really annoying.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
he probably found that cute.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he probably found that cute.
haha I don't think so. He had this peculiar expression on his face and he kinda tilted his head to the side like "what is up with this chick"? I could tell automatically that it didn't go well. I bet he won't try to approach me ever again.

·
Banned
136 Posts
I get that sometimes. I think people think I'm silly for it and I feel embarrassed. I think sometimes people think I'm laughing at them too. One guy got mad at me because he came up to my mother and I. Apparently, we were supposed to remember him from somewhere. I got nervous and I began to giggle and with an annoyed look he said he didn't remember me anyway as if I he was implying that there is no reason why he should remember me anyway. I was supposed to be insulted I suppose but I wasn't and I probably won't recognize him again if I do see him.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
haha I don't think so. He had this peculiar expression on his face and he kinda tilted his head to the side like "what is up with this chick"? I could tell automatically that it didn't go well. I bet he won't try to approach me ever again.
To be honest, if a woman giggled like that when I was interested in her (and it seems like he was interested in you), I might think she was laughing at me, and I'd probably feel pretty bad about myself and develop negative feelings toward the woman. You might want to try apologizing and getting to know him next time you can get a moment alone with him.

I chuckle quite a bit after those things I say, whether they're funny or not (Dr. Hibbert style), when I'm nervous. It makes me feel like I'm making excuses for what I say, ad that I'm taking a subservient posture. I hate it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have that same problem too. I giggle too much or laugh in a really dorky way if a guy says something funny, but many times I have nothing to say and can come off as rather cold towards a guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts