Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got really freaked out today because when I went to the employment centre they asked me if I could do dishwashing and I said yes then without telling me more the woman I was meeting set me up an interview. She only gave me the details afterward that it's a catering place full time dishwashing job.

The interview is tomorrow and I just really don't want full time. Even if this job doesn't require a lot of social interaction I'm still really anxious because it just got thrown at me so fast and I have no idea what their cleaning methods or working conditions will be like. I'm scared I'll mess up and get fired or be really tired and overwhelmed.

I've only had one job, a three month contract at Marks Work Wearhouse I got in a six month paid program I was in (3 months working on job skills, the next 3 months working). I got comfortable with the clothing store job because I didn't need to do cashier and instead got to clean the clothes, make sure everything was tidy, and help customers. I wouldn't mind that again but there are no retail jobs available according to the employment center.

I actually did get fired in my first job in training for a grocery store because I couldn't learn the cash fast enough. So ideally dishwashing is probably better for me but my social anxiety is still getting overwhelmed, especially since the person at the employment centre basically said when she recommends people to this employer she usually takes them on.

Just feel overwhelmed and trapped. I saved up enough money to go back to school but the program I'm interested in won't start till January since it's wait listed for September. So I want a job to save more money but jobs just get me SOOOO anxious and stressed out. My social anxiety in job situations is overwhelming.

Sometimes I just never want to work because I can't handle it emotionally.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
A kitchen porter? Washing all the dishes etc. Oh man that job is tough!! I worked in a hotel and that guy never stopped washing ever!! N all the chefs where there.

Maybe its different there though. Here its real dirty work, the guy puked one day from stuff he had to clean, then he had to clean his puke.

Ok maybe I should just say goodluck, but if the job is similar to above, plus u dont want full time, then maybe u wanna prepare yoursrlf for hard work, and pressure to have things done fast, if its the same as the place I waitressed at, but a job would be great for u till college, n I'm sure u will be fine as its not meeting the public, n u might b too busy to chat anyway, n not much learning involved.

Of course it could be totally different there!!! But I wanted to be honest.

N r u a girl? Or guy..
(Not that it should matter)

·
Member of SAS
1,868 Posts
I worked as a dishwasher before at a golf club for a few years and believe me, you don't have to worry about the social interaction part. Most of the time you are busy cleaning dishes and whatnot left and right and the times you do have a break, there is always small side work to be done to keep you busy, making it easy to avoid any side convos with the kitchen staff. One of the pros I found was all the good food I got to eat while on my break, sometimes even on duty. Where I worked the chef always made platters of delicious food for the entire staff. Though this could be dependent upon where it is you work. The people you'll see/work with the most are the chefs of course, and chefs are friendly people from my experience, as long as they're not too stressed out.

·
transcendence
100 Posts
Don't worry about letting anyone down. That's what always scared me the most about getting a new job/starting something new. You might not want full-time but take it anyway. At worst, you get fired or quit but you already know that that is like if you're currently unemployed. You might be confused at first but once you know exactly how you need to wash the dishes (you'll learn this quickly), almost all of that anxiety will disappear.

A full time job might feel draining at first but give it some time and you might like it. If it's more than than you can handle (it is for a lot of people) it's not the end of the world. You can ask for less hours, look for another job, and/or quit and look for something else or start your own business/service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts