Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
PASTAMANIA BROTHER
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that over the years of my "SA era" of life, that my ability to speak has diminished greatly. Things like pronouncing certain words or trying to explain something to someone has gotten really hard. I used to joke around with my mom back in the day but just blurting out random sentences really quick without screwing up at all but I'll be damned if I could do that anymore...I'd trip all over my words now. This is especially problematic when I need to explain something to someone. Whether it's someone I'm comfortable with or not, it's just a hard task. I have to sit there and think REALLY hard before I can begin. And then when I finally have the words I want, I'll begin talking complete with slurred speech or my brain will fart and I'll forget a certain word or something mid-sentence which makes me pause for a really long time before I can start explaining again. It's just really frustrating and I've never been this way in the past before I had SA. This is new and it makes me think there's something wrong with my brain. But I've heard lots of people with SA who seem to have the same sort of problem so I'm guessing it has more to do with SA somehow than anything. As if I've been away from social society for so long that I've literally forgotten how to talk.

Anyone else have the same problem and have any of you gotten over it and gotten better? I really don't see how I can ever hope to make any friends or get through something like, say, a job interview with this problem.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I noticed that I've had the same problem lately, especially when I'm nervous.

I used to joke around with my mom back in the day but just blurting out random sentences really quick without screwing up at all but I'll be damned if I could do that anymore...I'd trip all over my words now.
It could be that you are trying to talk too fast. Try slowing down just a little bit. Sometimes that helps me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I do a few things to keep my speech top notch.

1) i sing to myself. take songs you like and just start singing whenever you can. In your room alone or in the shower or at work or something. you learn the rythum and patterns and get comfortable blurting out long strings of data with no effort. I enjoy rap and fast folk music, that may also help.

2) talk with your hands. you might wanna try this with people you know well, who wont think your weird for doing this. if you speak with your hands or become more animated while you explain things you forget so much about the words and also have to think about the bodys movements. I don't mean jumping off the wall, but whenever its nessicary.

3) read great authors, and speak like them. Wikiquote.org check it out, gain some knowledge AND sound cool

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a similar problem. I stammer a lot when I am talking to people that I am not comfortable with (everyone except my girlfriend, basically). I also have brain farts when I am trying to explain something to someone and its so frustrating because I can explain the same thing to myself so much clearer. I just wish I could explain things the way I see it to others. Anyway, I think this stems from us SA'ers being so self-conscious. Our minds are focusing on other things besides the conversation such as "I hope this person doesn't think I am weird", "Am I talking too fast or too loud?", "Is he smiling because he thinks I am funny in a bad way?", etc. The key is to find a way to not give a crap what the person thinks about things that are out of your control to begin with. This will allow you to focus in on the conversation and contribute to it without being debilitated by this irrational fear. How do you do this? Sigh. It's hard as hell. First thing is to find and work on strategies that involve rationalizing your thoughts. There are many resources, such as CBT, that you can learn from to help you to achieve your goal. The problem is there will be a lot of failures and setbacks as you practice, but you can't give up. It takes time and it takes persistence. All of my effort in getting my SAD better has taught me that there is no magic pill, or anything else that is going to create significant change completely. But I have met some people who have succeeded so, the good news is, there is a way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm the same.. I've noticed I've been talking a lot faster, mumbling, and jumbling up words quite a lot so I've just stopped talking as much. I did try to not talk as fast but my speech just sped back up again anyway since I've done it for a while..

And I'm the same when it comes to explaining things I could explain something and it could seem so clear to me but its nonsense to anyone else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts