Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about getting haircuts?

Its something most people have to do often. And you know that the person cutting your hair is going to make conversation with you. I usually sit there quiet and reply to the questions they ask me about myself. Im sure when I leave they must think I was rude for not conversating much.

I had my haircut today and I tried to talk about the weather with the girl cutting my hair. She was nice lookin, while talkin to her a little I started sweatin and face turned little red...but for the most part I was alright.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Recently I've been pretty lucky. I go to Greatclips and the ladies currently working there usually never say a word. Perfect!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, I haven't had a hair cut in quite a while, but I only talk when I'm spoken to. I don't mind answering whatever questions they want to ask, there's a bit of me that likes telling people about myself if they're interested, but I'll never ask a question, I feel rude otherwise. Anyways, I don't like hairdressers, they never do as I ask them. :b

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used it do it myself. Because I was nervous about going to the barber and making conversation etc, only thing that was good is I saved money! But about two years ago I started to go to a barber, and been going to one ever since. A barber will definitely give you a better haircut than what you can do yourself. I don't worry about making conversation, because that is their responsibility. A lot times there really isn't any conversation, guess it depends on the barber. If they try to talk to me, then yeah I'd try to make conversation with them, usually just small talk.

·
Lost
275 Posts
Ugh. Do not like hairdressers. Makes it even worse that my mum always forces me to go to her friend's salon. She's the chattiest person I've ever met. She never stops asking questions and passing comment on me/others. Flairs my SA right up :sus

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hate getting my hair cut because of the small talk but it has to be done. I usual answer their questions in monosyllables until they get the idea I don't want to talk, then close my eyes for most of it as if I'm tired and falling asleep!

·
A cracked polystyrene man
191 Posts
The whole experience terrifies me. So much so, I have been cutting my hair since 2004.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
i kind of made friends with my hairdresser; i just stayed quiet and answered if she asks me something usually. i felt kind of rude for not asking her questions in return, but i was just too nervous (still am). then she went on maternity leave, and the girl that took my last appointment in her place was friends with one of MY friends, so we ended up talking about mutual acquaintances the whole time. it was pretty nice, but a bit nervewracking. she did a great job on my hair though.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I dread haircuts the waiting room full of people, the small talk while getting your haircut. I go as early in the morning as I possibly can, usually I can get in and out before the place gets too full of people.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I always dreaded getting haircuts. I have a receding hairline at a young age and I always felt like everyone checks out how your hair looks afterwards. This is why I bought some clippers and started doing it myself, having my mom or sister trim the edges in the back... I'm much better for it. And hey free haircuts! :clap

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Hate it. Despise it. My dad (who used to be a barber himself) cuts it and he does a fairly neat job of it all although I decided to get a slightly more complicated cut this time and opted for the hairdressers which wasn't too bad at all. I guess its the feeling of powerless-ness whilst you're sitting in the chair thats scary...plus the fact that if they cut it really bad, you are pretty much screwed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just got a haircut last night. Lucky for me my sister is a hair dresser, before she got her license I had to go to a salon and that was always an anxiety inducing experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I get nervous cause I'm worried about awkward moments and I hate having the paper thing around my neck, but the conversation actually has helped. Luckily the Great Clips I go to everybody is nice and sometimes I think I'm talking too much.

·
Fluffernutters!
9 Posts
I pretty much hate getting haircuts, too, for all the above-mentioned reasons. It's a good thing I only get one every year and a half.

·
:No Worries:
182 Posts
I put my haircut off for 4 years, kept it short myself with clippers. Finally my wife talked me into letting it grow out. And I went yesterday and got it cut. Really hard to make myself do, and it took a few drinks before I went. Hopefully I didn't smell like a drunk, I brushed my teeth before I went...:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had my hair cut by the same guy since I was a baby, so I'm actually really comfortable around him and his shop. He knows I'm not a talkative person, so he usually might ask a couple questions, just the usual "how are you" and "how's the family" stuff.

·
king of the road
175 Posts
There was I time that I didn't cut my hair for close to two years, so I didn't really have to worry about it then.
Now I go to the same person each time. I knew her before I started going to her for haircuts, so it's pretty easy to talk to her.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Over the last couple of months, I have actually gotten more anxious to get my hair cut. The awkward making conversation is nerve-wracking and I feel so rude for being so quiet and having a serious face throughout the whole time. I also feel tense, dizzy and uncomfortable during the appointment, but that's more my general anxiety.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Oh man I hate haircuts! Now more than ever. I've never really liked them (Because i've had this SA all my life) but in the past couple of years, I developed really bad dandruff on my scalp and in my eyebrows :eek::eek::eek: If I'm going to get a haircut, the only way I can really do it without massive amounts of dandruff showing is to make sure I've showered right before I go. Even then, some dandruff forms in my eyebrows before I get to the place I go to.

And don't even get me started about attractive women cutting my hair. It's the most awkward thing in the world. I usually just let my hair grow until it becomes unmanageable and then shave my head now.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts