Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do when teachers call on you in class? My heart starts pounding really fast and I feel like I'm going to get sick. Then I freeze. I'll eventually say something, but I'm so freaked out that I'll be wrong that I won't even notice if I'm right. And if I'm wrong I'll dwell on it for days and will be so embarrassed to return to class. Any Help? Any Advice?

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
I don't think you should worry too much about being right, if you don't have a clue or really don't want to say something a reply of "I don't know" is usually fine, it's not like anybody will think less of you. Otherwise just say anything of vague relevance, it's what everyone seemed to do when I was at school.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
I guess it depends on what kind of class it is. Science or math classes have more right or wrong answers. One class like that I would be so hard on myself for getting something wrong I'd tense up and want to hide and think about walking out. It made it hard to pay attention to what was going on in class I could be so angry at myself. I'm not sure what to do there, but generally I tried to participate in class, every now and then asking questions about things I was already quite sure about for clarification, just so that if I WAS wrong when I was called on and was more unsure it wasn't the one single thing that people remembered of me. I felt like it reduced the stakes a little.

An American lit class I took was awful because there were a lot of times where I felt really like I had something to say but it was so hard to raise my hand! I'd hold my hand up trying to remember the first few bits of what I wanted to say because I'd get called on and completely forget the point I'd wanted to bring up. I'd stumble through a few words I couldn't remember the connection between anymore, but I found that after that I'd start remembering and be able to talk and reason coherently. I find this a lot with myself, that as long as I can get going on something I'll rediscover in parts what it was I wanted to say, though I sound so retarded at first.

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
Hmm.. yeah despite my progress this is one thing that I still can't always do. My heart feels like it's beating out of my chest and I just have this feeling that I need to run away ASAP.

The worst part is that alien look the teacher gives you. It's like a mix of extreme discomfort and sympathy. It sucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.