Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not completely drunk just a bit tipsy. in college, i have a presentation on monday about a campus resource we were assigned. i have a partner, who will be presenting up there with me which makes me feel kind of better but we each have to talk for 2 minutes. i know what's going to happen i'm going to go blank, say "um" a lot, freeze up, turn red then i'm going to screw up the grade for my partner. i wanna be able to talk freely and forget about the fact that 30 kids are staring at me. i don't wanna embarrass myself or **** it up.

can any of you guys tell me if you tried drinking alcohol for a presentation and how that worked out?

·
Registered
105 Posts
i havent, but i would say dont do it, you dont know how you will react when your drunk. you might think your going to be only a little tipsy because you drank that same about before and you werent that drunk but then you end up going to school **** faced. my biggest advice is to be prepared and know your material, that will help you alot in presentations, it helped me because i wasnt stuttering or blanking on what i needed to say. and also know that most of the ppl in there are nervous about giving a speech, even if they dont have sa, they get nervous as well. good luck.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Your partner may smell the alcohol on your breath and that may not be a good thing. I would say to practice doing your presentation in the mirror.

·
Registered
74 Posts
45 minutes of running, and then some exercise movements, like push-ups etc, (and shower :D ) just before the presentation should work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i havent, but i would say dont do it, you dont know how you will react when your drunk. you might think your going to be only a little tipsy because you drank that same about before and you werent that drunk but then you end up going to school **** faced. my biggest advice is to be prepared and know your material, that will help you alot in presentations, it helped me because i wasnt stuttering or blanking on what i needed to say. and also know that most of the ppl in there are nervous about giving a speech, even if they dont have sa, they get nervous as well. good luck.
I agree with "thecraftyveteran". I also felt "loosened up" when I drank but it didn't work for stuff for stuff like presentations. Like he said, best advice is to be prepared and know your material. I found that is the most helpful between college and the Army:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
A very small amount might help, but speaking from experience you'll probably get overzealous and drink too much and that 'buzz' will suddenly be full drunkenness, and no, you don't want to present anything like that. You may feel more comfortable, but people will think you're even weirder when they see you stumbling around and slurring your words and displaying signs of intoxication. And if your teacher suspects anything, you could be kicked from the class.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's probably not a good idea. It might help with the anticipatory anxiety, but once you are in front of the class it could lead to disaster. If the teacher thinks you might be buzzed or can smell alcohol, it could lead to even more problems. I would suggest maybe rehearsing the presentation, so you have an idea on how it will flow. In college, I just used outlines for presentations and the anxiety usually hit when I would have to make a transition from one topic/point to the next. The suggestion on exercise before hand is definitely one that sounds like a better alternative to drinking.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just relax dude, If you mess up make a joke about it. That's what I do, I get nervous talkin infront of people, but I absolutley LOVE the attention. And when I mess up I just joke about it. I doubt it would work for everyone but try it.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
I spent my senior year of college buzzed. I'm surprised I passed. It's not a good idea.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I think the intoxication is too much with alcohol before it really calms you down. Along with the smell that other people notice. I think you would do a lot better with something like Valium, if you absolutely need it. It's not as intoxicating, more sedating, and no smell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I turn 21 next month and plan to make my way through the next couple years of college a la The Dude Lebowski. White Russians all the way.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm using this now for my music class. It is so anxiety-provoking for me, just even sitting in the class. I'm considering whether to continue or not, since I think it's partly the type of energy of the other people that's fueling the anxiety.

I've been taking Calms Forte, flower essences, and I was going to ask the pdoc for more Lorazapam when I decided I'm just going to have a glass of wine with my dinner before I go, and it will way help. But I know this from experience.

The exercise idea is also a good one. Preparation and practicing always helps too.

Years ago I had to take a speech class, and I withdrew the first time. I rescheduled in summer school (it's a bit shorter), and I did find that by the end of the class I was less fearful, because I had gotten more used to doing it. So being used to something makes it easier too.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Years ago I had to take a speech class, and I withdrew the first time. I rescheduled in summer school (it's a bit shorter), and I did find that by the end of the class I was less fearful, because I had gotten more used to doing it. So being used to something makes it easier too.
I did the same thing except my second time around will be next quarter. Hopefully, it will go better.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You'd have to drink a lot to have any real affect.

I always dreaded doing these things. Never had any good advice to get through them. Tried many things but nothing worked. Just fight through it and think about how relieved you will be after its done. Maybe reward yourself after doing it. I personally liked to do mine early on instead of having to wait for a whole class to get through. My anxiety tended to build up watching other people do it before me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I always remember that almost everyone in the class is nervous about doing it. That gives me a boost. Keep thinking that this time next week it'll be over.

Don't worry about going blank. Practise over and over again until you almost know it off by heart. Whenever you forget something, just look down at your notes to remind you. When you look at people, look at the middle of their foreheads or the top of their noses so you don't have to look them in the eye. Actually, during every presentation I've given at uni so far, people have been taking notes so no one's actually looking at you. That definitely helps.

No matter what happens, the grade won't decide your final degree. Even if it doesn't go as planned, you can make up for it in other areas.

Good luck!!

·
Banned
397 Posts
I HAVE to be slightly sedated during presentations. If I am not then i turn into a stuttering and shaking mess.

I take double the dose of Nyquil before I have to do a presentation. I still get nervous but it helps with the stuttering and shaking

1 - 19 of 19 Posts