Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Getting away from the wicked witches of the west...

311 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  beckyphry 
#1 ·
I finally got my transfer from west ele. to east ele.

Woo-hoo. :boogie

I am happy, and I am back to teaching kindergarten--what I love!

Star :banana

#2 ·
im happy for you..it's nice to teach the children... teaching in the k/garten must be cute..
before this, where have u been working?..what job?

#4 ·
amamam said:
im happy for you..it's nice to teach the children... teaching in the k/garten must be cute..
before this, where have u been working?..what job?
Hello Amamam,

I have taught many things, but the past two years I learned how to teach Open Court Reading on the Kindergarten level and beginning Math, plus social skills, life skills, health, and a bit of science and social studies.

My previous principal asked me if I would transfer to 3rd or 4th grade--wherever the greatest need was after enrollment (to keep class size numbers down); I agreed, but later regretted my decision. I was getting pretty good at teaching reading and understanding the needs of 5-6 year-olds in the classroom.

My boss phoned me yesterday and told me enrollment was down in our school and she needed to eliminate a position. She told me she felt that I had agreed to making the switch from kindergarten to 3rd or 4th to please her. I told her she was right! So I got to choose from several other schools and positions--where I would go and what I would teach.

I love my kindergartners. I am relieved and anxious to get back to work and now it is in a very positive way!

I chose the best elementary school in the district and the kindergarten level. I never in my wildest dreams thought this would happen! I was having nightmares about going back to West (and to an immense amount of negativism...)

Star :yes :yay

#7 ·
hema said:
Congrads! I really wanted to be a teacher, then I had a toddler;-)))) What an awesome fun age to teach;-)))
Hema, I'll tell you what my mom told me when I couldn't get hired as an art history teacher (because there were no jobs) and what I later told George when I first met him and he was working in a restaurant.

When you have a tough decision to make (like whether or not to become a teacher in a few years when your girl is in school)...the time is going to pass whether you do it or not.

Mom was so right--I dreaded thinking of 3 years to get another degree and all, but I have never regretted spending the time to do it. George also became a teacher--something he had only dreamed about.

You still have time to become a teacher. There are lots of scholarships, grants, and student loans out there.

Hema, I think it would be wonderful if in the future you decided to pursue a career in teaching. We need people who really want to teach and really want to be there for the kids.

BTW there are all kinds of on-line and alternative ways to become certified as a teacher these days. Ways you could still be with your baby.

Star

#10 ·
That's wonderful news, Leilanistar - it deserves all three boogies! :boogie :boogie :boogie

#11 ·
millenniumman75 said:
That's wonderful news, Leilanistar - it deserves all three boogies! :boogie :boogie :boogie
Thank you, millenniumman75! :thanks

Everyone was so nice to me today. They seemed to really go out of their way to make me feel welcome. It was truly a first in my working career!

Even the kindergarten teacher who has been there forever really gave me lots of new and proven ideas...even though I got a few vibes that she feels I am infringing on her territory. I tried very hard to rise above a couple of silly comments because I want her help and she is bosom buddies with the superintendent! It never hurts to have someone like that one your side. She can have the glory; I prefer to remain anonymous, even though I know I do an okay job. I know I am not the best and never will be because of my SA, but I won't give up.

I always try to improve myself and my teaching.

Star

#13 ·
hema said:
Suck up, suck up;-)))))) oh yeh--ya got to sometimes--I hate to say it, but it's true!
I'm glad the day went well!!!
Thank you, Hema! I am for once, going to let someone help me!

I am the only kindergarten class in a hallway of 4th grade classrooms!!!!!! :haha :banana

Star

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.