Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what percentage of the people on this board would get a second opinion for a serious health issue. My Mom is in the hospital because of a blockage from her kidneys to her bladder. She ended up going into kidney failure, having extremely high Potassium levels, and getting Urea poisoning. The doctors at our local hospital seem totally clueless, but now they recommend putting in stents that would need to be changed every 6-8 months. For now, she has tubes coming out of her back (from her kidneys) which are allowing the waste to drain.

I told my Dad, sister, and Mom that I think she should get a second opinion before having this done. You would think that I said something totally evil. They were so mad at me and keep saying how nice the doctor is, etc, etc. Who really cares how nice the doctor is? That doesn't make the person competent. We have health insurance, and we are only 30 minutes from UPenn or Jefferson. I feel like, if anything, the doctors at these hospitals may be more familiar with the problem than the doctors we've seen so far. Am I making sense to anyone? My family is making me feel like I am totally off target with this. I know it's not my decision, but if I were in the position, I would want the best possible care.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sorry to hear. Im surprised they reacted like that though, its very common to get a second opinion. In fact, I think it should be the standard for serious situations like yours. Most insurances cover a second opinion as well I believe.

best of luck =)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Yeah, definitely get a second a opinion. If the second doctor says the same thing, then at least you know and have that peace of mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts