Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Getting a pet

3K views 53 replies 38 participants last post by  lissa530 
#1 ·
I'm reading about how social isolation is very harmful to health, even as much as smoking, and I'm worried (which is unhealthy on its own :)) I've been thinking of getting a pet for a while, probably a cat or two. I am almost certain that a cat would help improve my mood. I look at pictures of cute animals all the time to cheer me up, and always used to play with the family cats when I lived at home.

I guess the reasons I've avoided doing anything about it is that
* I'm anxious about actually going to a shelter and talking to people and finding one
* I'm afraid to make a commitment to take care of it for its whole life. What if I move etc?
* Also I'm not sure what I would do if I go on business trips, etc. I don't have any friends reliable enough that I know they could take care of it while I am gone.

Anyone else get a pet? Did it improve your mood?

#2 ·
Pets WILL improve your mood. Do it. It's not hard to commit to a pet when you're going to love it! I'd say get a cat if you're worried about the commitment. They require less attention and are generally easier to take care of. Just need a litter box (and to clean it), food, water, some love and attention... that's it! Keep your cat indoors if you want it to live. I let mine out with supervision, though some animals CAN be outside alone, I wouldn't recommend it... I've lost too many pets this way as a kid. But going outside might not be an option depending on where you live anyways.

Do it! There are plenty of animals in the shelter that are just waiting for a home (or death :(). I'd say to get a kitten/younger cat though for your first pet, because it'll be easier for both of you to get to know eachother. You'll have to keep it out of trouble for the first year of its life though. There are lots of sweet older kitties out there too though.

#3 ·
I lived completely alone before I got a cat, and once I got the cat I couldn't believe I had been without one for so long. I adopted a grown cat, she was about a year old when I got her, at first she just seemed happy to have a home but after about a year she started to get aggressive and fairly plump. Someone at work was fostering kittens so I choose one of the males and took him home at about 11 weeks. It really only took her about 48 hours to accept the new cat and she's been a lot better since. She's a lot less aggressive with me and she's lost weight and looks fit because they chase each other around all day. If you go away, they are very easy to take care of. If I go away for more than two days I just have a friend drop in on them about halfway through to see how they are doing. Anyway, they really bring life to my apartment and its nice to have the two of them greet me when I get home from work everyday. Yes, there are small annoyances like begging for food at 4am or walking across me as I sleep but thats nothing compared to the joy that they bring. Its also a good way to socialize with other people, if they are animal lovers themselves they'll warm right up to you once they find out you have a pet. I've made a lot of good acquaintances this way.

#7 ·
I lived completely alone before I got a cat, and once I got the cat I couldn't believe I had been without one for so long.
That sounds exactly like me. I guess two cats would be a good way to go. Maybe I can email a shelter and talk to them that way instead of going in person.

Now that I think of it, a girl I used to see had a cat, and I think I miss the cat more than I miss her! :D

#5 ·
Pets bring unconditional love and I can't imagine not having any because they constantly make me smile :) I adopted both my cats when they were tiny little 8 week old kittens at the local animal shelter...it was pretty much love at first sight haha :) They are such sweeties and of course having a pet is a big responsibility, but its worth every penny and then some for taking care of them because they help to take care of you in a lot of ways. I know that I want to get a dog again too because I always had one growing up, but I really don't have the room right now so I have to wait on that until I move into a bigger place.

#8 ·
Get one!!

My dog was my best friend. No matter what, I could always depend on him for a hug and companionship. He was always excited to have me home and would scratch on my door if it was shut until I let him in. He LOVED that I rarely go out! :lol

The only bad thing about pets is that you usually outlive them. :(

#9 ·
* I'm anxious about actually going to a shelter and talking to people and finding one
* I'm afraid to make a commitment to take care of it for its whole life. What if I move etc?
* Also I'm not sure what I would do if I go on business trips, etc. I don't have any friends reliable enough that I know they could take care of it while I am gone.
Going to a shelter is more depressing than anxiety provoking to me and if you move you just have to look for a place that will let you keep your pet. You can usually board your pet at a vet's office if you have to go on a business trip.

The only bad thing about pets is that you usually outlive them.
Yes... this sucks a lot... I miss my dog :(

#10 ·
Pets are wonderful therapy!!! I have parrots and a bunny. My eldest bird was my first pet. Definately recommend for anyone suffering a mental illness.. just do a little research before you take home a life. Find the right pet, know what your in for. Go for it! You'll never look back.

#14 ·
My two cats are like family to me - they are such good company and they make me smile even when I'm having a bad day. I'm definitely glad that I got two cats at the same time, because I got them as kittens and they had a lot of energy back then, and they could play with each other and keep each other company when I was at school or work.

#15 ·
Once I start living on my own I definitely plan on getting pets. I'm sure I'll have a dog and a parrot. I might possibly get a cat. I want to take things slow though. :lol One animal at a time.

I think living completely on my own would be too lonely for me. I want some type of life around! The sound of the TV just doesn't cut it...

#16 ·
When I got a puppy as a kid we used to take him to puppy preschool classes hehehe :p Such a cute idea. I couldn't do that now but back then I was fine being in a room with all these people but the thing is, its so awesome to see all the little puppies of all sorts of breeds interacting :)

My puppy found a friend and they both walked out of the barrier and headed towards the part of the place that was a pet food shop lol... :p So cute, everyone laughed and thought it was funny ^_^

I'm excited, puppy preschool is a fantastic idea for those who aren't afraid of social interaction.

#17 ·
You can take care of yourself so a cat won't be anything that you can't handle. If you move you can take the cat with you. I think there are places that pet sit while people are away. I know they have them for dogs, but I'm not sure if they do other animals. If you go to an animal shelter the cat will most likely already have all of its shots so you don't need to worry about that.

#18 ·
I say go for it... but with one reservation... are you going to be able to go to the vet yearly or when the pet might need to go? Also if you are getting an adult cat... I would recommend spending some time with it... they usually have a room where you can do this.. and like other have said.. there are pet sitters around... that seems to be a growing thing...

#20 ·
my dog has been the best source of comfort for the past 3 years for me, better then any pill thats for sure, I love outdoors, so we go hiking every week, he also enjoys jogging with me as well as biking and swimming. He knows when I'm deprssed and always finds a way to put a smile on my face.
Make sure to do some reasearch which pet is most suitable for you, cats are pretty low maintanance but can still be quite affectionate.

#23 ·
Make sure to do some reasearch which pet is most suitable for you, cats are pretty low maintanance but can still be quite affectionate.
I've never really liked dogs. Cats are very affectionate and nice in my experience, and dogs don't really belong in apartments.

He's a lot like me ... He's very wierd, anti-social, a total spaz, and he pukes and poops everywhere.
Uhhhhhhh...

I'd love to have a cat or dog, but wouldn't want to keep it cooped up in an apartment.
It definitely would be for me.

I'm starting to think I should focus on seeing a therapist before getting a pet. I don't think I'm able to make the commitment, and I'm not able to go to a shelter and interact with people alone, either.

#21 ·
I've had my cat Agronsky since middle school (about when my SA problems began), and he's a good buddy, and good company. He's a lot like me, so we've got a special bond going on. He's very wierd, anti-social, a total spaz, and he pukes and poops everywhere. But, I'm the only other living creature he likes, and I'm definitely the only one who likes him, so I love 'im. He's very affectionate and makes me feel loved, something very hard for me to feel ever. So, I say go for getting a cat, only hopefully yours doesn't soil your carpets..

#24 ·
I've always had a dog. Not having a pet at all would feel so weird to me! I think it's good to have an animal in the house that can cheer you up and listen (or pretend to listen) to you and not judge you...they definitely life your spirits when they have their own little quirks that are so adorable. They are a responsibility, but worth all the care in the world!

#25 ·
I'm still thinking about this. My brother's visiting and wants to take me to the shelter and get one. I don't know what I'm so afraid of.

What if it eats one of my plants and it turns out to be poisonous?

What will it do all day while I'm gone at work?

What will I do with it when I go on trips? Take it with me? I don't have any friends to watch it.

What if the temperature drops too low and no one is here to help it?

The humidity is too low in here for me. What if it's so low the cat dies from dryness? :)

What will I do when it dies of old age? :( I don't have a backyard to bury it in anymore.

My worries are out of control.

#28 ·
What if it eats one of my plants and it turns out to be poisonous?

- Well you could find out what kind of plants you have through googling so you'll know! Or put your plants in a closed off room?

What will it do all day while I'm gone at work?

- Throw cat parties :D seriously though they'll likely eat or sleep most of the time, or play..

What will I do with it when I go on trips? Take it with me? I don't have any friends to watch it.

- Cat kennels! Or hire a cat sitter to come feed and play with it and change the litter.

What if the temperature drops too low and no one is here to help it?

- What kind of an apartment do you live in?!?

The humidity is too low in here for me. What if it's so low the cat dies from dryness? :)

- Make sure it has lots of water and it'll be fine :)

What will I do when it dies of old age? :( I don't have a backyard to bury it in anymore.

- take it to a vet and they can take care of it...but you probably would be too sad too worry about it when this happens :(

#29 ·
- Throw cat parties :D seriously though they'll likely eat or sleep most of the time, or play..
Yes, I should get two so they have parties!

http://nedroid.com/2009/05/party-cat-full-series/

- Cat kennels! Or hire a cat sitter to come feed and play with it and change the litter.
True. I guess there's always kennels if I don't have friends.

- What kind of an apartment do you live in?!?
A crappy one! The temperature varies wildly. Cats can be comfortable in lots of temperatures, though, right?

- take it to a vet and they can take care of it...but you probably would be too sad too worry about it when this happens :(
Ah.

My girlfriend's really pushing me to get one. I really want one, but I'm still scared of the responsibility.

#30 ·
A pet provides a unbelievable amount of affection and love. I have a dog which brings me so much joy each day. He is always happy and provides me with unconditional love. That being said a dog is alot of work to train and look after the first six months but after that it gets easier. If you cant mange a dog, a cat makes a great pet too! Good luck!

#31 ·
I'm reading about how social isolation is very harmful to health, even as much as smoking, and I'm worried (which is unhealthy on its own :)) I've been thinking of getting a pet for a while, probably a cat or two. I am almost certain that a cat would help improve my mood. I look at pictures of cute animals all the time to cheer me up, and always used to play with the family cats when I lived at home.

I guess the reasons I've avoided doing anything about it is that

Anyone else get a pet? Did it improve your mood?
I have heard this said often and I'm not trying to sound self-righteous but you should not adopt a cat just to make you feel better. Cats have feelings and interests of their own, they don't exist to entertain or comfort humans. You should adopt a cat because you genuinely want to give them a better life (I'm glad you're talking about adopting rather than buying) and are committed to the idea of taking care of them for as long as they live. That said, I think having a cat to nurture and love would be beneficial for you, although they can also be very irritating at times.

If you go on a business trip, maybe you could pay someone, like a next door neighbor, to take care of your cat. Moving is only a big problem if you're flying, airlines do transport non-human animals but this is often very stressful for them (just driving in a car traumatizes my cat).

#33 ·
I did:D I have a doctor note to ensure that my apartment complex allows me a companion animal. I have a 4 month old Akita/German Shepherd mix. I need to have a large breed so I feel safe or else I have very odd rituals I have to do or I become super paranoid. She allows me to go out in public. She is a great conversation starter and just makes me feel all kinds of better. It was hard for me to contact people regarding puppies (went on Craigslist) so I would text them. The lady I got my puppy from read my texts and said I had to call to get directions to their house. I was terrified!! But, I forced myself to and the next day went and picked her out. I was nervous she was going to think I was a mean person and not let me adopt a puppy but everything turned out okay. Animal people are usually a bit weird so most likely they will be somewhat awkward too and understanding. I was upfront about why I wanted to adopt a puppy and the lady was very nice about it. If you move, why wouldn't you take your pet with you? I never understood that. It's like leaving a kid behind or something. Just odd to think you wouldn't take your pet with you. I have family my puppy can stay with whom really like her if I were to be gone for longer than a work day, but I would make it a point to try to take her with on vacations and so forth. They are family and need to be included in (almost) everything! good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.