Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Leben ist verrückt!!!!
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a job is really hard for me. It seems like I have to put on a fake mask in order to get the job I want. Its very difficult on the application when I get to the reference section and I have nobody to put down as a reference. Also, many jobs ask for people who are outgoing and are basically "people friendly". I hate working around people. The last job I had gave me severe panic attacks when I was working around the public. But I really need a job and I want to know if you'll had difficulty finding or maintaining employment?

Also, what is a good job for people who rather work in an environment with less interaction and little amounts of people around???

·
Reluctant SAS Member
418 Posts
Yeesh, I feel your pain. I hate when they ask if you like working with people on your application... Yeah, and the reference section is always a pain, too.

I know, because of my social anxiety, the only place that is willing to hire me nearby is a factory....and I already quit working there!! The management in that place is so messed up... Anyway, yeah, it's hard to find work. *pounds head into desk*

·
Registered
1 Posts
I definitely know what your going through. I recently took a risk to get out there and take a job interview at this fast food restaurant. I'm only 17 so I admitted that it would be my first job and didn't even have references to back me up.

Anyway....I did'nt take the job because it was to crowded and fast paced which I initially knew in the first place, but decided to take a risk which ultimately was a waist of time.

I just wish I could work at home and not have to deal with social interaction...this sucks!SMH

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
I'm trying to find a retail job to kind of get myself out there and expose myself to anxiety producing situations. Even this is hard. I applied to Office Depot, but they're specifically looking for people who have experience selling computers and printers. I told them that I have extensive knowledge of those products (everyone comes to me for help with their computer problems), but they wanted actual sales experience for those items. It's frustrating. I don't think I'd have much anxiety talking about products that I have a lot of knowledge about, but how do I get the experience to begin with?? :sus I've applied to several places and followed up like I'm supposed to. A lot of them say "I'm not qualified". Ugh. I've heard it's 5 times harder for someone with a college degree to get a retail job, and I'm beginning to think that this statistic is true! They think you're just looking for something temporary or something. I'm going back to school in the Spring to get another degree, and I'm just taking the semester off, and I want to work to get some money and not be so bored and on the computer all day. I've told them I'd still be able to work part-time while in school, so it's not like I'd work for a couple of months and just quit on them.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
They usually don't take people with college degrees because you're overqualified. They're basically saying "If we hire you now, you're probably gonna leave in a month for somewhere else, so we're not wasting time with you".

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
They usually don't take people with college degrees because you're overqualified. They're basically saying "If we hire you now, you're probably gonna leave in a month for somewhere else, so we're not wasting time with you".
Ya, exactly. I try to explain to them that I won't leave anytime soon, but I guess talk is cheap.
Unfortunately, my experience contains some volunteer work, being a camp counselor one summer, and the rest was being a researcher for a professor in engineering. I decided I don't really like the engineering jobs out there, so I want to go more the business route. Hence, I want to get another degree, which will take another 2 years. Everyone says "Get an MBA", but I haven't found a program that excepts you without some corporate experience =/. So, I'm trying for a BBA in finance first so that I can hopefully get an internship in the corporate world. Then, I will get an MBA later. The college I went to didn't have the best engineering program, but their business program is highly rated. I wish I realized this sooner! Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i hear ya i have comfort issues working in public. this si the reason why im not working. its really brutal applying to 100 places and not getting one phone call back. thats happened to me in 3 differnt cities i use to live in! like WTF lmao i laugh it now because i did put in the effort.. did a follow up and they want someone with experience... well how do you get that initial experience... working has been nothing but stress for me... the jobs i did get it was like the decloration of indepence trying to keep it! screw up enough times ull get fired, if you dont know someone whos working there, you need to walk on eggshells.. nomatter which job i get im on teh verge of getting fired.. and that does sound funny but its the truth... i dont blame anyone for not having a job these days...

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
i hear ya i have comfort issues working in public. this si the reason why im not working. its really brutal applying to 100 places and not getting one phone call back. thats happened to me in 3 differnt cities i use to live in! like WTF lmao i laugh it now because i did put in the effort.. did a follow up and they want someone with experience... well how do you get that initial experience... working has been nothing but stress for me... the jobs i did get it was like the decloration of indepence trying to keep it! screw up enough times ull get fired, if you dont know someone whos working there, you need to walk on eggshells.. nomatter which job i get im on teh verge of getting fired.. and that does sound funny but its the truth... i dont blame anyone for not having a job these days...
Ya, it's ridiculous! Where I live is supposed to have a "good" job market compared to the rest of the US, but I have yet to see it. A lot of these people working at these places are as dumb as ****, too. Even the managers! So, I think to myself "Ok, so this *** was able to get a job, but I can't?". It's crazy. I know more about the products that these places are selling than the people who are supposedly "knowledgeable". What a joke.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
I might be exaggerating, but right now is a bad time for people who have NEVER had a job in their lives. Because the job market is bad as it is, and for people who get stuck in the "I need experience but I never did anything before so where do I start" stage (like me and others).

·
Registered
931 Posts
I got my job by putting my resume on my college's job site and they called me. Pretty lucky I know. But I think part of the reason I got through the interview process was because it was over the phone. I lived in a different state than the job so I asked if I could do a phone interview, they said it was fine. It only took 45 minutes whereas other people had to go for hours in person. So, maybe look for a job out of state?

If you must go in person, just remember that everybody who does this has to be somewhat fake. It's part of life. Maybe have a few places lined up so each interview doesn't feel like the end of opportunity.

Government jobs where you just process paperwork all day don't require much interaction. Try usajobs.com, since you're in the US. They also have more straightforward interview processes - they're more about meeting quotas and doing things by the book rather than whether or not they like you personally. Don't ask me how I know ;)

·
Leben ist verrückt!!!!
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my job by putting my resume on my college's job site and they called me. Pretty lucky I know. But I think part of the reason I got through the interview process was because it was over the phone. I lived in a different state than the job so I asked if I could do a phone interview, they said it was fine. It only took 45 minutes whereas other people had to go for hours in person. So, maybe look for a job out of state?

If you must go in person, just remember that everybody who does this has to be somewhat fake. It's part of life. Maybe have a few places lined up so each interview doesn't feel like the end of opportunity.

Government jobs where you just process paperwork all day don't require much interaction. Try usajobs.com, since you're in the US. They also have more straightforward interview processes - they're more about meeting quotas and doing things by the book rather than whether or not they like you personally. Don't ask me how I know ;)
Thanks. I will try to see if I find some jobs. Anything right now would do though. Its just so difficult because of SA! I really am gonna push myself and try not stress myself out this time. :) But I dont know how far I am going to get without any references though :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.