Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a teen who may be getting a first job sometime in the future and I have mild SA. I Was wondering what the best jobs would be for me for first time jobs. I have no trouble working with other people, but I get anxiety when I have to talk to customers. So I would be scared for example working a cash register or being a waiter. What are some good job suggestions.

·
behind you
748 Posts
It depends on how old you are. For teens you would most likely get a job in fast food or some sales store. I myself work in a sandwich shop and also deliver for them which is awesome because I get to drive my car while working. Working at a cash register is not that scary at all, just make minimum eye contact, smile, ask, etc. Another job you might be able to get is unloading trucks, which is usually done in the back of a store with little human interaction. You could pick up telemarketing, if you aren't scared of talking to people on the phone.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have pretty bad social anxiety and I work in fast food. At first it was horribly overwhelming, but I've since gotten used to it. However it still can be really stressful and customers often get extremely angry over their food. I imagine a low stress job is way better. Maybe working in retail at someplace with a calm atmosphere? Bookstore, small clothing store, game store etc. I definitely would recommend working at a store rather than in food service, just based on my experiences and what I've heard from other people. I think it also helps ease some anxiety if you apply somewhere that you already have prior knowledge on and like going to. I know you said you'd be scared to work a cash register, but a lot of jobs that teens have involve cash registers, and it's really not that daunting once you learn how. Whoever employs you will make sure to properly train you on how to do everything, they'll ease you into it. Hope I helped a bit? Good luck job hunting!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.