Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel like this is torture? I've been putting it off for over a month even though I really want one.

First, how do I describe how I want it? I don't know so I usually just say a normal guy haircut and then they're like what do you mean and I'm like I don't know what I mean.

Then the sitting there for 20 minutes forcing small talk. Sometimes I prefer the silence but other times it drives me crazy because I feel like I should be talking.

Then what if my haircut looks stupid? I can't change it once it's done. And the reaction of other people...look who got a haircut! Looks good blah blah blah.

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
yea, i hate getting haircuts.

I've found an alright little place where i just get a buzz cut every so often (till i feel my hair is so crazy it's catching attention). usually a buzz cut for the exact reasons you talked about on describing a hair cut you want. i like the place i go to because they dont do the small talk, except for this one woman i usually pray isnt the one cutting my hair

i also hate other people reacting to getting a haircut

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I mostly hate sitting there waiting for my turn in the chair, especially if it's busy. I have to get my hair cut soon and am not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I have started building a friendship with the ladies in there. I keep them laughing. There is a comfort factor. They have a lot to talk about (other customers' attitudes and how I don't give them any crap, mostly) ;)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I cut my hair myself and have for the last 12 years. I don't expect a tip nor do I harass myself with small talk.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used to hate going but now it really doesn't bother me. I guess I am getting better with my SA. If you know which clipper size to use this can help when they ask you what you want. For example, I'll say,"Number 3 and a half on sides and back, tapered, then a little off the top." There. Done. Also, I know this is terrible, but I go to a place that's owned by a bunch of Vietnamese people so they don't make any small-talk with me. The place just happens to be within a mile of my house and they do a good job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone else feel like this is torture? I've been putting it off for over a month even though I really want one.

First, how do I describe how I want it? I don't know so I usually just say a normal guy haircut and then they're like what do you mean and I'm like I don't know what I mean.

Then the sitting there for 20 minutes forcing small talk. Sometimes I prefer the silence but other times it drives me crazy because I feel like I should be talking.

Then what if my haircut looks stupid? I can't change it once it's done. And the reaction of other people...look who got a haircut! Looks good blah blah blah.
I feel the exact same way, luckily my mom was a hairdresser in her earlier years so the majority of my life she has cut my hair. But now she doesn't like doing it for some reason and sends me too a hairdresser(im 18 ) but it is absolute torture, whenever it is silent i feel like I need to be talking so I keep thinking of what to say but I dont say anything so it gets extremely awkward for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've made it a lot easier on myself by getting clippers instead of scissors. It's so much easier to just say the number of the size to use.

·
"Why So Serious?"
901 Posts
I wouldn't say I hate getting haircuts but I don't like it either. Since I was about 3 years old my mom used to take me to the same barber shop all the time. The barber there knew my mom very well and they chatted whenever she went with me. I kept going there until I was about 17yrs old. The man practically saw me become a "man" as time went by. I never ever really talked with him, only very very quiet and small talk once in a while. I changed barbers and now I go to these pair of ladies who do a pretty decent job of cutting hair. What bothers me is that I rarely even talk, I just sit down, let them know how I want it and shut up. I mean its okay but I would rather like say something funny of make good conversation every once in a while but that would be weird. Say if I started talking to them now they would be surprised since I haven't talked to them since I started going.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't like getting my hair cut really mainly because everyone always somehow notices and I don't like attention like that...as far as who does my hair...my hairdresser has cut my hair for the past 10 years so it's never like having a stranger cutting it, but I only see her once or twice a year. She's nice though and I trust her to cut my hair exactly how I want it...some hairdressers want to just cut your hair short, but she listens to me each time about how many inches I want to cut and sticks to it. I really want to cut my hair now actually, but kind of set a goal for myself about a year and half ago that I really wanted to grow my hair long enough to donate to Locks of Love...I'm almost there...it's halfway down my back right now so hoping by the end of summer I'll have it where I want to so when I cut the 10 inches it it'll be at my shoulders. It'll be a big difference though so I guess I have to anticipate more of those "you got a haircut" remarks

·
Banned
497 Posts

gettign a hair cut is very hard. you are in a position were you can easily display physical symptoms of SA such as blushing and there is no way to use safety bahaviours to hide it cos you are in full veiw and there is no way to escape the situation cos you cant just walk out in the middle of getting your hair cut.

getting a hair cut might even be worse than going to a party cos at least at a party you know you can use safety behaviours to hide your anxiety and you can also leave whenever you like

if there is music on in the barber shop or everyone else is talking then its not too bad cos the focus is off me but if its silent then its a painful experience

as for your hair style well how to you like it - do you like short back and shides, skin head (shaved), bowl head ?

i always say '' a number one round the back and side and quite short on the top'' - this is a bit like a military haircut

·
Registered
50 Posts
I dread getting a hair cut, but after talking myself into it and backing out for a month, I got one last week. It was as bad as I thought it would be, but at least I didn't respond to it as bad as I thought I would. The girl cutting my hair, talked and talked, about everything she could possibly think of. I tried not to panic and just nodded till it was over, a lot of nodding:yes

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
You could try looking for a picture in a magazine of a hairstyle you like, and take that with you to give the barber/stylist an idea of what you want. As far as making small talk goes, most salons/barber shops have magazines, or you could take a book with you. If you're busy like that, it discourages the person cutting your hair from wanting to chat. That's what I always do.

·
Yup.. it's me!
2,458 Posts
I cut my own hair as well... I use a something that I bought about ten years ago for cutting hair... it is very easy to do.. maybe takes twice as long as going to a place because I have to clean it up a bit... but it is worth it and saved me tons of money...
I also would suggest like tony mentioned..going to a barber shop... they can be very no-nonsense and just get the job done.. at the salons they seem to feel the need to make conversation... and be friendly.. maybe for a better tip...

·
Banned
4,722 Posts

You could take a picture of the style you want and show the hairdresser, so you can just say 'I want it exactly like this please!' Making small talk can be awkward, what helps me is knowing that you can't make much eye contact while someone is concentrating on your hair. Also being sat in front of the mirror means you're rarely going to meet each other's eyes, unless you keep physically turning round to look them in the face! You could take a magazine to read so you don't have to focus on chit chat too. I think the confidence-boost a haircut gives you is well worth the trip. :)

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Another thought - strangely enough, watching yourself in the mirror to see how you behave/ look when talking to someone can be really helpful! I'm always reassured by this because I never look as uncomfortable as I think I do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hate getting a haircut, its torture like you say.
I prefer getting a bit drunk before a getting a haircut, taking a benzo or taking GHB.
It helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I would love to have my haircut at a barbers, but am terrified of the whole experience. Having to book an appointment (that alone would put me off), sitting with other people waiting for my turn, knowing what to ask for, if the barber starts talking to me, what to tip.

I've not been to a hairdressers or barbers for twenty years. My mum always cut my hair as a teenager, and i've always shaved it myself as an adult. The only problem with that is that when it grows out, it goes very frizzy and I hate how it looks.

I know sooner rather than later i've got to get over my phobia of barbers, as the anxiety of always feeling like I have a bad haircut now is just as bad.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts