Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will they hire me? Here in Australia they usually make you wear short sleeves, although i see some people with jackets. Can someone please give me some information on how these jobs work, like will they not care about my self harm scars? They are kind of obvious, definately quite noticeable but they dont stand out that much. What are these jobs like, will people fire me when they find out, will they not hire me, will they not care, will they let me wear a jacket? I'm thinking of a supermarket job such as someone who replenishes stock or works at the checkout aisle.

·
Cooked.
9,263 Posts
It's really up to the discretion of the hiring manager. I would imagine it would influence their decision to an extent depending on how visible they are.

You said 'they're obvious/quite noticeable; but don't stand out that much'. I don't know what that means, lmfao.

·
All you need is MUSIC!
246 Posts
You could always cover your scars with makeup? Mine have mostly faded away except for one. No one really notices.. maybe they wont notice yours? (hug)

·
Stoic Hobo
959 Posts
I think that you need to work on not being ashamed of your scars. I mean, if you had visible scars from surgery, I wouldn't suppose they'd refrain from hiring you for that. What's the difference with self-harm scars? If they notice them, your attitude should say 'Yes. I was ill and I have recovered.'

·
Banned
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's really up to the discretion of the hiring manager. I would imagine it would influence their decision to an extent depending on how visible they are.

You said 'they're obvious/quite noticeable; but don't stand out that much'. I don't know what that means, lmfao.
Noticeable, obvious but now shining out. Its not the first thing you see, but when you look at it its fairly obvious
You could always cover your scars with makeup? Mine have mostly faded away except for one. No one really notices.. maybe they wont notice yours? (hug)
Yeah i think i'll have to go for that lol. Does makeup work? Does it cover them up well, and if so, does it come off easily?
I think that you need to work on not being ashamed of your scars. I mean, if you had visible scars from surgery, I wouldn't suppose they'd refrain from hiring you for that. What's the difference with self-harm scars? If they notice them, your attitude should say 'Yes. I was ill and I have recovered.'
The thing about customer service is that employers want to only hire people who will provide a presentable image. Peoples tatoos get covered, people get fired for having a certain type of earing, etc.

·
I Am Second
58,004 Posts
Old scars I'm assuming should be fading. I doubt they would say anything as long as there aren't new ones then they probably would notice. I've avoided this problem so far.

·
Banned
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Old scars I'm assuming should be fading. I doubt they would say anything as long as there aren't new ones then they probably would notice. I've avoided this problem so far.
About a year, not that old. Theyre sort of faded but the skin is still a pinkish color and raised a bit to a somewhat obvious extent. But do you think a job like McDonald's would hire me despite that?

·
I Am Second
58,004 Posts
About a year, not that old. Theyre sort of faded but the skin is still a pinkish color and raised a bit to a somewhat obvious extent. But do you think a job like McDonald's would hire me despite that?
Yeah ofc. Should be less and less noticeable over time :). They shouldn't say anything.

·
Banned
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah ofc. Should be less and less noticeable over time :). They shouldn't say anything.
Thanks for the encouragement, but im just pretty worried about being in the middle of a shift and customers seeing my arm and getting grossed out or filing a complaint. Or the manager noticing it when i am during a shift and then calling me out or even firing me for it. I mean i dint know maybe i am wrong but i have this vision in my head like thats what will happen lol.

·
I Am Second
58,004 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement, but im just pretty worried about being in the middle of a shift and customers seeing my arm and getting grossed out or filing a complaint. Or the manager noticing it when i am during a shift and then calling me out or even firing me for it. I mean i dint know maybe i am wrong but i have this vision in my head like thats what will happen lol.
Nah you're overthinking. Not sure how noticeable it is but if its been a year I don't think they're eyes would automatically go to it.

·
Banned
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah you're overthinking. Not sure how noticeable it is but if its been a year I don't think they're eyes would automatically go to it.
Thanks for your replies to my thread. The employers in my area are very picky but i will definately try my best to keep applying for these jobs.

·
Stoic Hobo
959 Posts
The thing about customer service is that employers want to only hire people who will provide a presentable image. Peoples tatoos get covered, people get fired for having a certain type of earing, etc.
Your scars are a small part of you. If your attention is on your scars, you will not be doing your best on the interview. If your attention is on your scars, you will not be paying attention to your customers. If the interviewer brings up the scars, just say that you were in a bad place but got help, and are better now.

·
Banned
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't you wear a long sleeve shirt underneath it? I used to do that and no one said anything.
Yikes, you have it too? It can be pretty hard to get a job with them. I dont know if i can, i doubt they will let me :(
Your scars are a small part of you. If your attention is on your scars, you will not be doing your best on the interview. If your attention is on your scars, you will not be paying attention to your customers. If the interviewer brings up the scars, just say that you were in a bad place but got help, and are better now.
Thanks, i will definately try to do that :)

·
Banned
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my sil has long cuts up her arm. they are fairly noticeable. she made them with a knife about 11 years ago and they have faded to whispery, shiny lines.

i noticed them immediately when i met her but she had good eye contact, smiled and was engaging. i instantly forgot about them and am always a bit surprised when someone asks about them and i remember 'oh right, that is part of her life experience'.

the most important thing is that she came to our country and spoke elementary english and had the scars. she got a job at starbucks and soon she was the manager. then she got moved to a different location that was in a better area of the city and soon a hotel poached her for their front desk.

you totally can get a job despite the scars. people will often take their cue for how to treat you, from YOU :)
Thanks for replying! She got a job at starbucks and then became manager??? That's crazy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts