Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice.

From age 14 to 16 I had braces. My sophomore year of high school I had my braces removed, and obvious the result..straight teeth and a perfect smile. After you get your braces taken off, any smart person would know that you're suppose to wear your retainer to avoid your teeth spacing out again. Like the irresponsible person I am, the retainer was uncomfortable and after a week of wearing it I never bothered with it again. Contrary to what my orthodontist told me, I was certain that after two years of braces, my gaps weren't coming back. Yeah, I know... No snarky remarks.. don't remind me of my stupidity..

Maybe after about a year I noticed my two front teeth had started to move apart again. Nothing too bad though. As the months increased so did my gap, and it began to get larger. I knew it was too late to do anything about it, my retainer would no longer fit, so I ignored it..

Now after 3 years my gap in my two front teeth is still growing and has become noticeable, and I'm even starting to get another small gap I used to have before braces. All of this because I didn't wear my stinkin' retainer like I was suppose to.. :bah

I'm completely self conscious about my teeth. I don't show my teeth when I smile or in pictures. I know it's my own fault, but regardless, I'd like to get it fixed before it gets worse.

Solution? Should I get braces put back on at age 19? I feel like I'm too old to have braces, but I feel like the result would be worth it. I know it's expensive, How much do you think it would cost? Would dental insurance cover any of it? Help!

I want to go from this :troll to :D !

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Geez, this might as well have been my post. I'm in the exact same position, except I'm 21.

So far, I haven't gone back to the orthodontist. In fact, I've begun avoiding the dentist when she calls, because they share the same office and if she saw my teeth she'd flip out and tell my orthodontists who would also flip out.

If you can do the invisaline treatments then I say go for it, as you can't even see them. I had those on my top teeth for a while and it worked well. If its' regular braces, it's really up to you how comfortable you would be getting braces back on at this age, and how much you want perfect teeth. I doubt a lot of people would see it as a big deal, or cause you much grief about it. A large majority of people have had them, so know what it is like to go through the process and would probably sympathize.

The ony thing that is stopping me is the fear of getting freaked out at by my orthodontist. She's not very nice. And really scares me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geez, this might as well have been my post. I'm in the exact same position, except I'm 21.

So far, I haven't gone back to the orthodontist. In fact, I've begun avoiding the dentist when she calls, because they share the same office and if she saw my teeth she'd flip out and tell my orthodontists who would also flip out.

If you can do the invisaline treatments then I say go for it, as you can't even see them. I had those on my top teeth for a while and it worked well. If its' regular braces, it's really up to you how comfortable you would be getting braces back on at this age, and how much you want perfect teeth. I doubt a lot of people would see it as a big deal, or cause you much grief about it. A large majority of people have had them, so know what it is like to go through the process and would probably sympathize.

The ony thing that is stopping me is the fear of getting freaked out at by my orthodontist. She's not very nice. And really scares me.
Hahah! Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad there's someone else in my shoes.

And I know exactly how you feel. The number one reason I've been neglecting to go back to my orthodontist is I don't want to get scolded for waiting this long to get it fixed. It feels like all their hard work was done in vain (even though they obviously got paid a big wad of cash for it).

Even so, it's been three years now, and my teeth aren't going to fix themselves.

Maybe you should consider going to another orthodontist? :D

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I've seen 30 year olds with braces on. I think they make some now where they aren't so visible like the old completely metal ones.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Yeah, orthodontists are a lot more willing to give you the clear ones the older you get. I think it does cost more though, if I remember from when I had mine.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I didn't get braces until I was 20. My teeth were so bad I couldn't get Invisaline ones though so I had to have normal ones. They were white though so weren't that visible. I just got my top ones off a month ago after 27 months and still have my bottom ones on. I'll be getting them off soon.

I know of a lot of people at this age with braces, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
I wore braces and they were a waste of money. I had a bad overbite on one of my bottom teeth. The braces fixed it, but it ended up coming back after my dentist up here took the retainer that was glued to the back of that tooth off. He said according the the x-ray the tissue had developed really well around this tooth and that it could be taken off. He wanted rid of it because it was hard for him to clean around it. Well a few months later the overbite came back. My mother has the same overbite. It must be a genetic thing. If I knew this was going to happen I wouldn't went through all the torture getting braces. They didn't have the invisible ones back then. They had the old fashioned metal ones. Getting braces was more my mothers idea then mine. I was 20 at the time. My mother thought this would keep me out of the military if I had braces on. This is when Saddam attacked Kuwait and Bush I was building up our forces over there to attack them. My mother was very sure this was going to turn into another Vietnam and they were going to start drafting again. I constantly argued with her regarding this, but she always got her way. To shut her up I had it done. My mother has Generalized Anxiety so she was worrying constantly about this. You had to see her when after Bush I attacked Iraq. She was running around the house yelling and screaming about it. I can see why my father worked overtime at the factory all of the time avoiding being home.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
Yeah, this happened to me too. When I was young, I had crooked teeth and an insane underbite, so I had a solid two or three years of braces and various apperati. Didn't wear the retainer and my teeth got crooked again. I only needed six months of plain brackets, nothing compared to the torture I was put through in middle school to non-surgically correct an underbite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Adult braces - not too bad

More than one million people over age 18 now wear braces, so you wouldn't be alone. I found that out when I was researching my specialty cookbook for adults in braces. You can also get lots of information including thoughts on costs at the public website of the American Association of Orthodontists, at www.braces.org. I had braces last year to close up a gap that had opened over the years, and I'm 53. It worked out great and I'm so happy with the results! Now I'm in a retainer most of the time time; by the summer I'll just wear it at night, but I think it's really worth it. Also, they can adjust the retainer if it doesn't feel good after a few days. Like the others have said, there's Invisalign, there are clear brackets, and there are even braces that go on the back of your teeth. You can get more information from people who've been there at www.ArchWired.com (a website for adults in braces), and at my website www.BracesCookbook.com and my blog, www.SilverSmileSurvival.blogspot.com. Best wishes.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I've seen 30 year olds with braces on. I think they make some now where they aren't so visible like the old completely metal ones.
The less visible ones cost more and don't work as well though from what I've read.

I never had braces and I expect to live out my life with imperfect teeth. I don't have any problem with gaps -- my teeth are crowded in too tight on the upper jaw. It seems the obvious solution to crowding would be to at the very least remove wisdom teeth (which only grew in on my upper jaw).

Given that I hate oral surgeons and the entire concept of tearing out teeth, I have entirely avoided the issue.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I had braces on my top and bottom teeth. I did wear my retainer, but maybe not enough. I got to the point where I didn't have to wear my top one anymore, but still the bottom. I think I stopped wearing the bottom only a few months before I was supposed to. Well, my top teeth got slightly out of place again and my bottom a lot worse. I don't care. If people are going to judge me by my teeth then they can go rot in Hell.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
I had braces from age 10-12. Before then I had a severe overbite, bad enough I had to wear an orthodontic headgear along with the braces but I'm glad I did it...I'm self concious enough about my appearance as it is and if I still had that to contend with I think I would wear a bag over my head in public. Beleive it or not at age 33 I still wear my retainers every night and I expect I'll be wearing them for the rest of my life. If I skip even one or two nights I notice an immediate feeling of tightness when I put them back in next time, so I know if I just stopped wearing them completely my teeth would almost surely shift back to the way they were before even though it's been over 20 years ago. Some people can stop wearing them after a few years, some need to wear them for life. I don't really mind wearing them, I just put them in at night before I go to bed and I hardly notice they are there. My teeth still look the same as they did the day I got my braces off.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Beleive it or not at age 33 I still wear my retainers every night and I expect I'll be wearing them for the rest of my life.
I didn't know that was even possible. I thought that by the age of 20-something teeth were basically fixed in place as if set in stone, making adult braces much more difficult than moving around the teeth of a growing child. I had no idea that adult teeth could move so easily that one could need a retainer for a lifetime.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I need some advice.

Solution? Should I get braces put back on at age 19? I feel like I'm too old to have braces, but I feel like the result would be worth it. I know it's expensive, How much do you think it would cost? Would dental insurance cover any of it? Help!
Guess I messed up the quote :/

I'm 22 and I considering it. They got those "Invisoline" or something close to that braces now. Which if your teeth aren't that ****ed people can't even tell you are wearing them. According to the dentist though they take discipline and commitment because you have to wear them like every moment except eating.

They were telling me I'm on the border of possibly/possibly not being able to get the inviso-whatever ones. I look yoing for my age as it is so I don't know if I could handle actual braces but I really would like some nice teeth as well.

·
Banned
112 Posts
ultra, i thought that too, orthidontist said they move the same at any age just easier on patients when you are younger because its more common.

i got braces at the age of 23 had, them on till almost 26, $6,500 covered by me an investment ive never regretted.asked the parents(back when i was 16), apparently no money.

puts on retainer in fear lol, ive also got a mouthguard at night for grinding. use them both. and ya ortho said i would probably wear my retainer for the rest of my life

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone! :clap

I'll definitely take everyone's advice into consideration. As far as Invisalign goes, I read up on it, and because it's more expensive than braces and takes a lot more discipline and up-keep, i decided that's really not the path for me. Plus, I heard it takes a lot longer to see results.

I'm actually considering an alternate solution. Teeth bonding? Has anyone had any experiences with this? :um

1 - 20 of 37 Posts