Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the right place... couldn't find anything on the other forums.
I desperately need help with my germophobia - it is getting ridiculous and I am wasting a lot of time dealing with it.

I wash my hands a million times a day, I sanitize my workstation, my house (doorknobs, handles, window handles etc), remotes, keys, credit cards, wallet, phones, watches - you name it, I probably sanitize it. Right now I do this once a week, but I am twitching toward daily...

I am also a foodophobic - basically, if I don't cook it, I'm scared to eat it. I feel like I'm dodging a bullet whenever I eat out - be it at a restaurant or a friend's house. Don't even get me started on children!

Grocery shopping takes me twice as long as it should - my fruit/veggies can't have a single blemish, I check the dates on everything as well as the fridge temperatures. If the temperature is not right, I will shop elsewhere (I made the mistake of taking a food-handling course thinking it would help with my food anxieties, but it just made it worse!)

Weirdly though - I have no phobias around animals. I have several cats and it really doesn't bother me to clean out their litter boxes or clean up their puke - and cats are very barfy animals, so I'm doing this at least every second day. But god forbid I am confronted with people-puke - OMG I would run a mile in the other direction and take a shower! Just the thought is making me shudder. In fact, it's getting to the point that if somebody in work comes in sick, or even mentions that they have been ill I want to go home just so I don't have to be around them. So stupid!

My poor, long-suffering husband is so good to me and tolerates (and even participates) in my shenanigans but honestly, this has got to stop. Our social life is non-existent because of this and has been for many years.

If anybody else has gone through this, please let me know how you coped.

Many thanks,
CM1997

·
Lonely
403 Posts
Eat a pile of dog **** and you're all reset :D

Just kidding, sorry... I'm kind of the same person as you, only I haven't gone this far. Yet. I read somewhere that that symptoms like these can be treated by going out for walks, foot baths, massage, listening to music. Whatever relaxes you. Because in fact, it all lies in your anxiety.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think being a germophobe is a type of OCD. I was diagnosed with OCD last year and my pdoc has helped me a lot. What was a huge help, though, was the book Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder for Dummies. I know it sounds like a "for Dummies" series book wouldn't be that much help but I can't stress enough how much it helped me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yeah, same problem here. I'm getting CBT for mine. It's listed as a type of OCD on this Obsessive Compulsive Inventory that I've just filled out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks - I didn't think it was OCD, but maybe I am heading in that direction. I will have to Google OCD and see what can be done, want to avoid meds if possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts