Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without getting into specific details about the types of books, do you find that self-help books really help you? How many did you read, and what'd they do for you?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Depends. I first started looking at self-help books when I realised I had to do something about improving my life. I read "positive thinking" type books, and the couple I read did help me. At least, they made me realise that I COULD change and improve my life.
The problem is, Social Anxiety is a disorder - it can't be solved by positive thinking or "facing your fears".
I was diagnosed with Social Anxiety by a psychiatrist, and he recommended Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). I didn't do anything about finding therapy for a few years, but then decided to find a book on social anxiety that used a CBT approach.
The book I used was "", by Gillian Butler.
There are many other good ones available - but you have to work through methodically, slowly, and do the exercises. Just reading it through is not enough.
Of course, no book is really an alternative to therapy, but if you work through a book carefully, then you can make a big improvement.

·
Registered
161 Posts
m56 said:
Without getting into specific details about the types of books, do you find that self-help books really help you? How many did you read, and what'd they do for you?
Absolutely! I dabbled with self-help books several years ago with only moderate success. Then a couple of years ago I read Zig Ziglar and he said that motivation and inspiration are only temporary but permanent motivation and inspiration are permanent. What he meant was that it had to be constant. (everyday) He also stated that most information that you read will be forgotten 48 hours later. He recommended reading good information several times to imprint it into your mind. So now I read good books 2-3 times maybe more until they actually become a part of me. In just a couple of years I have really developed a whole new philosophy. The positive strategies, quotes, and affirmations are now a part of me! Several other good authors and speakers such as Jim Rohn, Denis Waitley, Tony Robbins, Brian Tracy, etc. state similiar strategies for completely changing the way you think and the way you live. I have actually become an avid reader when I used to hate reading! If you really want to start improving your life I would recommend daily reading as the quickest way to start. If they are good motivational books they actually contain many strategies for improving SA without specifically dealing with it. I have gotten more from these than any book dealing specifically with SA.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I haven't changed my life at all from having read any of them. They are mental band-aids that can make you feel good for a bit. That said, you may be in a situation where you have no one to talk to and you're going up the wall.. maybe this is better then nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts