Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD) by a psychiatrist a year ago (as well as something else, but that's for another thread).

It explains the constant muscle tension and exhaustion as well as the relentless background worrying. Does anyone else have this? If so what are your symptoms like and how do you manage? I'm currently managing without medication and just take many breaks throughout the day.

My doctor agrees I'm not well enough to work. But the exhaustion has been almost constant for the last year. I don't know whether it will ever improve enough to work full time. I eat quite well recently and have bought a bicycle, hoping exercise might increase my stamina.

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
I defiantly suffer from GAD. I worry about things constantly. I am always keyed up. It even comes out in my dreams. I worry about work, finances, things around the house that may break, etc.

·
Banned
648 Posts
Was diagnosed with gad at same time as Sa, but it's like a steady but constant worry, its really crap, i could spend the whole day worrying and not get any of the things i worried about done, only to worry about them the next day... also apprehding a bad social situation everyday in which ill be getting Sa, so yeah, nice...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have GAD. I feel tensed up and nervous most of the time, even if there's nothing bad happening. I worry about junk most people don't even think about.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I got GAD as well i am constantly worrying about something. i guess i just try to distract myself from it as a coping mechanism

·
Shift Happens
454 Posts
There is a possibility that i have this as well. When i took therapy i had a decision to enter GAD therapy or social anxiety and i chose social anxiety. I worry constantly about things i have no control over. I just try to distract myself like watching tv or listening to music.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It explains the constant muscle tension and exhaustion, as well as the relentless background worrying. Does anyone else have this? If so, what are your symptoms like and how do you manage? I am currently managing without medication and just take many breaks throughout the day.
Hi, I have GAD too, and it seems quite hard to beat because it's so constant. E.g. If you just had SA or some other phobia, you could just challange your thoughts when in those anxiety-provoking situations. But when you are constantly worrying it seems so hard to change anything. Have you tried and of the CBT techniques e.g. re-focussing your thoughts, or challenging the worries with more realistic thoughts? I find challening worries difficult because I usually argue with myself and go in circles. But sometimes you just need to focus on something else. Have you tried practicing mindfulness/meditation techniques? These are supposed to be effective for some people.

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But when you are constantly worrying it seems so hard to change anything. Have you tried and of the CBT techniques e.g. re-focussing your thoughts, or challenging the worries with more realistic thoughts? I find challening worries difficult because I usually argue with myself and go in circles. But sometimes you just need to focus on something else. Have you tried practicing mindfulness/meditation techniques? These are supposed to be effective for some people.
Yes. It's hard when it's constant worrying. I've done a lot of CBT in the past so can manage the worst of the thoughts well. It's just the more low level constant worry I can't decrease much. That's more like an amorphous sea of negativity and I know it's there because I feel it physically (I'm a bit alexithymic).

I try to exercise mindfulness but should really incorporate some meditation techniques. Thanks for the suggestion. :) It's just I find such things as meditation really hard because my mind is so active and hates to stop whatever it's doing. I experience hyperfocus on a daily basis (due to Asperger's) and cannot draw my attention off task when in full flow.

Does anyone else experience severe, constant fatigue with GAD?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is an anxiety disorder that is characterized by excessive, uncontrollable and often irrational worry about everyday things that is disproportionate to the actual source of worry. This excessive worry often interferes with daily functioning, as individuals suffering GAD typically catastrophise, anticipate disaster, and are overly concerned about everyday matters such as health issues, money, death, family problems, friend problems or work difficulties. They often exhibit a variety of physical symptoms, including fatigue, fidgeting, headaches, nausea, muscle tension, muscle aches, difficulty swallowing, bouts of difficulty breathing, trembling, twitching, irritability, sweating, insomnia, hot flashes, and rashes. These symptoms must be consistent and on-going, persisting at least 6 months, for a formal diagnosis of GAD to be introduced.
Oh yeah, that's me. :afr

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes, it is hard when it's constant worrying. I've done a lot of CBT in the past, so can manage the worst of the thoughts well. It's just the more low-level constant worry I can't decrease much. That's more like an amorphous sea of negativity and I know it's there because I feel it physically (I'm a bit alexithymic).

I try to exercise mindfulness, but think I should really incorporate some meditation techniques. Thanks for the suggestion. :) It's just I find such things as meditation really hard because my mind is so active and hates to stop whatever it's doing; I experience hyperfocus on a daily basis (due to Asperger's) and cannot draw my attention off task when in full flow.

I have GAD. It is my main disorder and I've had it for a long time, starting with over-anxious disorder of childhood. I haven't dealt with it very well so I don't have any good advice unfortunately. I'm just starting to tackle it really. I've been doing a bit of mindfullness exercise- I couldn't even do it without experiencing strong anxiety in the past. I used to have to sleep a lot more than I do now.

My physical symptoms are fatigue, headaches, sore muscles, tight chest, constricted throat, difficulty breathing, racing heart beat, dizziness.

It effects my concentration. I can find it hard to concentrate on the easiet task either because of the physical anxiety or because I am obsessively worrying and can't let it go. I really have to work at it to be able to get in the mode of concentrating.
I am NEVER relaxed and I haven't been in years. The anxiety is always there, it's just the severity of it that differs.

I can get it more under control when I have a strict routine to follow but constantly focusing on a small number of things in a controlled way makes my life very mechanical and unsatisfying....and it's not long before the worry builds up anyway.

It's a very crippling thing because it effects every single aspect of my life. What made everything worse was the fact I always thought life was such a struggle because of my own personal weakness, despite my diagnosis.

Has your GAD improved since you started this thread?

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
I was diagnosed with GAD about 6 months ago. I am on Xanax and Prozac currently. I take extra Xanax when needed, or I typically take 3-4 mg daily.

I still worry a lot constantly and have negative thoughts and low self esteem. Luckily, I manage to work full time and attend school full time with it, although it caused a huge embarassment for me last week that I will not ellaborate on publically.

I have been biking for about 2-3 years, and it helps keep your mind off of things when you're riding. The exercise certainly helps and you feel good after too. Also when watching a good movie or playing video games, it helps me keep my mind to that activity. Basically staying busy helps.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
The dreaded "What if" thinking?! Yep, I have it, but it crosses more into SA now.

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still can't stop whatever I'm doing to engage in relaxation - my mind's too active and it's extremely uncomfortable to force it off any train of thought. I spend hours without a break obsessively stuck in interests ... although it's blissful the price is getting behind schedule on other tasks, forgetting things, fatigue and insomnia.

I can get it more under control when I have a strict routine to follow but constantly focusing on a small number of things in a controlled way makes my life very mechanical and unsatisfying....and it's not long before the worry builds up anyway.
I successfully executed an undemanding schedule, which was manageable a couple of weeks ago. But the slightest event can disrupt it and throw me off for days at a time or longer. Others can't grasp how delicate the balance is.

The GAD's only improved in that I pay less attention to the fatigue but many days when it feels like I've been hit by a train, it's frightening. There was one evening last year where I experienced true relaxation. It was revelatory, making me understand how anxious I've been for years.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes, it is hard when it's constant worrying. I've done a lot of CBT in the past, so can manage the worst of the thoughts well. It's just the more low-level constant worry I can't decrease much. That's more like an amorphous sea of negativity and I know it's there because I feel it physically (I'm a bit alexithymic).

I try to exercise mindfulness, but think I should really incorporate some meditation techniques. Thanks for the suggestion. :) It's just I find such things as meditation really hard because my mind is so active and hates to stop whatever it's doing; I experience hyperfocus on a daily basis (due to Asperger's) and cannot draw my attention off task when in full flow.

yeah i was diagnosed with GAD a couple of months ago although the
social anxiety is still my main problem. I have just begun meditation
myself to try and provide some relief. I can quieten my mind to a certain extent but the thoughts can just overwhelm me at times.
They say the more you practice etc so am sticking with it in hope:)
You are so right when you say it is like a sea of negativity and i find it
has a devastating effect on selfconfidence. I dont get the fatigue but i get muscle tension, apprehension and constant worrying etc that goes with it to name but a few.
I dont know if you have read it but i found paul david's book a great help re: generalised anxiety.

·
Sitting on a sunbeam
137 Posts
Some days the neck pain wakes me up at night, ugh. I'm pretty sure it causes my derealization and "hppd". I'm hyper aware of visual phenomena. It's a comfort zone, now. It'll be with me forever because in a sick way I like the neck pain, the nightmares, the racing thoughts, and even panic attacks. I'll never be happy but at least I have contendedness.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Some days the neck pain wakes me up at night, ugh. I'm pretty sure it causes my derealization and "hppd". I'm hyper aware of visual phenomena. It's a comfort zone, now. It'll be with me forever because in a sick way I like the neck pain, the nightmares, the racing thoughts, and even panic attacks. I'll never be happy but at least I have contendedness.
I don't get how those things can make you content. Not sure I want to know either :no

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too get that background noise of General Anxiety all the time. I was on mirtazapine and it quietened my thinking - but the side effects weren't worth the "peace of mind". I want CBT but think it's a long waiting list for that!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts