Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the longest time I coudn't figure out what was wrong with me when I froze whenever someone laughed at anything about me. At my university, apparently, many people laugh at everyone, so I was laughed at a lot.

I was constantly laughed at for little things I did, things I said that weren't meant to be funny, etc. My roommate expecially likes to do the laughing, so I felt like I had no safe place to go to. I felt like I was never safe from anything or anyone.

My self-esteem immediately plummeted and I felt trapped for the rest of the semester, only able to regain my sanity after I came back to Shanghai (in China, people usually don't laugh at others). I only recently discovered that there is an actual term for this type of fear and that I'm not the only one. Do any of you share this fear? If so, how does it affect your life and how do you cope with it?

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I don't like people laughing at me especially when I approach them. This is stems from my childhood when peers would do this. I don't mind people laughing if I am laughing with them. I also don't like when I am in a room and too people are whispering in each other ears. I know they probably aren't whispering about me, but it still makes me uncomfortable.

·
Spread Your Wings
1,512 Posts
^LOL yeah...I was surprised by the word choice made by some english experts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't say I have a phobia of this but when people laugh at me when I haven't deliberately made a joke I get very down.

My dad has always laughed at me when I do normal things. I remember being little and going to pay for something by myself at the till and my dad would just stand there and laugh. And only the other day, wishing my auntie 'happy new year' over the phone, he laughed at me. I don't get it. It makes me feel that I must look weird doing normal everyday things which makes me more self-conscious

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah. it never really occurs to me that others may be laughing at me because they're just enjoying the time or because they actually like my personality.

i mean, a lot of my classmates like to laugh at whatever i say. i feel so terrible. i think: is it because every single word that comes out of my mouth is ridiculous? I end up feeling like nothing i say can ever be taken seriously. you know? I feel so trapped.

I talked to my resident advisor about this and she just told me to ask people what they meant when they laughed. I asked about 8 people so far. all of them said they meant it in a good way.... that helps a bit. i guess common sense-wise, it's impossible to be saying ridiculous things constantly and still be human.

still, i feel bad whenever someone laughs at me. it's getting better, but somehow i can't shake my image of being a stupid fat girl from my head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.